deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] WB Allies  (Read 750 times)

jaynan

• Decks
[Standard] WB Allies
« on: June 25, 2016, 04:06:53 am »
WB Allies

My take on an Ally deck focusing around gain/drain.

I wasn't exactly sure of the direction to go with for instants/sorceries/enchantments so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the view and any advice!
"Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you."

Jabilac

• Decks
Re: [Standard] WB Allies
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 05:45:25 pm »
I would consider Ruinous Path maybe sideboard to start and then slide them in to deal with Planeswalkers. I would bump my Captain's Claws up to 4 because more ally triggers are better :)  I would also look into getting some Zulaport Cutthroat for more health draining. I might bump my Ally Encampment amount to 4 just because the last ability is really helpful to save a Drana, Liberator of Malakir also that way you could maybe get into the Red/White ally's like Resolute Blademaster, Munda, Ambush Leader, or even Firemantle Mage. Lantern Scout is a great ally as well could be worth a slot or 2 maybe sideboard to start then move him in if/when you need more life gain.

jaynan

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 12:18:57 am »
Dude thanks so much!

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 03:28:19 am »
Avacyn doesn't really fit the theme of the deck. You might consider exchanging her out. You could use a higher cost ally, like Malakir Soothsayer, which you can use with the tokens as card draw in a desk that needs it pretty badly.

You could also work in Bloodbond Vampires, since they'll grow pretty quickly in the deck.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

jaynan

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 06:25:18 am »
Thanks for the advice! I threw in Avacyn for the hell of it because why not? But the synergy IS off so I'll make the change where needed.

Nice suggestion too! I'll work on the list in the morning and see what I brew up.

buizel

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 02:27:07 pm »
wheres zulaport cutthroart

hotrodscott

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 02:02:22 am »
I know she's kinda boring, but expedition envoy might help speed your deck up early and at least be an ally trigger when topdecked.   I'm worried that your 2.7x avg CMC is going to be a little slow.   Maybe not. Try it and see, and know she's an option. :)

micktheemick

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 08:09:20 am »
Hello!
I played something like your deck at GP Pittsburgh this past weekend. I can tell you, while fun, it either wins straight out or leaves you sitting with trying to find a way to do 1-3 damage more before you are dead. One of the cards I found after testing during Sunday Super Series is Eerie Interlude. Simple answer: Cast, exile your critters when you have 1-2 Kalastria Healer on the field with a couple other Allies, and bang that extra needed damage is there. I held on to the Eerie Interlude until I have a decent board state (2+ healers and 2-4 other critters), blocked what I could, and before damage, cast it. It caught people by surprise and saved my arse a couple times. 

My latest ally deck is 4c. Testing it now... so far, so good. Once I get a week's worth of testing I will update it.
If you want to look at it bkm capt crazy claws 4c ally 

jaynan

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 12:35:59 pm »
I'm sure I could find a spot for Envoy in here somewhere!

How did you do at Pittsburgh? And thanks for the advice!

micktheemick

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 05:40:54 pm »
Anytime.
I went 3-4 and dropped... so I could tweak the deck and get some standard matches in to test the changes for the Sunday Super Series.  The deck was more consistent, but still needed work. GR Ramp and BW control were the hardest match-ups. Two of the losses went to turns, losing to a Dragonlord Atarka and Sorin's ultimate.  Anguished Unmaking is your friend... Well, not mine, since I never saw in the last match against BW. Went 4-3 and dropped to get food and head home.

micktheemick

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 05:53:31 pm »
Also, while costing a bit more, Munda's Vanguard is working a lot better than Serene Steward. In conjunction with a Beastcaller, not tapped or needed, adding the counters to all creatures is a big boon.  I am thinking about adding with a couple Makindi Patrols for 'Vigilance' triggers.

jaynan

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 06:04:36 pm »
Solid advice man. Working on figuring out the cuts now.

micktheemick

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 07:36:43 pm »
Do us a favor, and post your changes so we can see the progress of the deck! ;p  As a continuous brewer / crazy-deck-maker I enjoy seeing what others are working on!

jaynan

• Decks
Re: WB Allies - Comments
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 04:12:59 am »
Sorry!! I update and then completely blank on adding the changes here.

I haven't kept track of the individual changes, I swore I had seen on here at one point where a record of that is automatically kept, but I'm sure I'm wrong.

Here is the latest revision as of today. I appreciate all of the advice you all have given me that has helped to create it at this point.

https://deckstats.net/decks/67233/518010-wb-allies

jaynan

• Decks
Re: WB Midrange - Comments
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 08:54:14 pm »
After playing a few times with the gain/drain theme I found it didn't perform as well I as wanted nor did it execute effectively.

I've changed it to more of a midrange deck that brings out a lot of tokens and capitalizes on equipment and Odric.

Revision 10

Added/removed cards:
-2 Topplegeist

Changed amounts:
+1 Altar's Reap
-1 Arashin Foremost
-1 Hangarback Walker
-2 Hanweir Militia Captain
-1 Relentless Dead
-1 Stone Haven Outfitter
-1 Swamp