deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Brainstorming Deck Ideas (Standard)  (Read 9700 times)

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
Re: Brainstorming Deck Ideas (Standard)
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2016, 04:02:26 pm »
Surprised nobody has worked around these 3 Humans.
Unruly Mob with Thalia's Lieutenant and runs rampant with Hanweir Garrison. Drop human tokens making Thalia's Lieutenant bigger, tokens die making Unruly Mob bigger. There is to much going on with those 3 cards alone.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

skeri

• Do something that scares you.
  • Decks
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2016, 04:30:08 pm »
A guy at FNM showed me this little combo. Ironclad Slayer and Ghostly Wings. Granted you have to discard to do the combo but it's fun to use. 2 cards that constanrly save each other. Then you could build around this combo itself.

I like that one a lot actually, it reminds me of some of the enchantment decks you see in pauper and modern.
Time is precious, waste it wisely.

entropize

• Decks
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2016, 04:47:34 am »
Vampires and zombies are getting a lot of support so I would go with a red/black deck or black deck or black/blue deck. I love the krenko version of liliana, the last hope.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2016, 09:32:12 am »
   Looking at the current tribal sets as far as this block goes there are many variants to the decks that can be run. Here are a few ideas;
1) few creatures but REALLY BIG- Works well with aggro werewolves or eldrazi. Most wolves hunt in pacts giving the idea of wolf tokens but you can either play a lot of small werewolves and beef them up or just a couple strong werewolves and keep them alive using your spell base.

2) moderate amount of creatures but have them either Big/Small- This can work with spirit or vampire variants where having a humongous board presence isn't always mandatory but it's enough to deter the enemy and make strategic plays with your creature base. Also Vampires can get stronger or take a major aggro approach while the spirits would be more mid-ranged/control but can still mount a good offense if built right.

3) Have A LOT of Small creatures- This is probably where ZOMBIES will shine the most. Those undead armies are going to flood the board and if you can keep CASTING zombies then cards such as diregraf colossus will really shine with their token production and graf harvest giving them all menace.

Just some ideas or variations that you guys and gals might want to play with. Is see that some tribes have better focuses then others but you can build our deck however you want. I actually once built a U/B Spirit/Vampire mid-ranged deck that actually did pretty well at an FNM a while ago. Just goes to show that a deck can do whatever you need it to if you have the proper cards you need for it.

skeri

• Decks
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2016, 06:15:45 pm »
I love the idea of wolves/werewolves burn deck. Kessig Forgemaster // Flameheart Werewolf, Assembled Alphas, and Smoldering Werewolf // are all great for this. For an added bit of madness Wolf of Devil's Breach could combo well with Fiery Temper and Alchemist's Greeting for sure.

But also a G/R wolf tokens deck could be good as well. I really love that there are werewolves who have a mana cost to flip in this new set as well as Waxing Moon so that spells are an option now in that tribal.

skeri

• Decks
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2016, 06:18:51 pm »
Surprised nobody has worked around these 3 Humans.
Unruly Mob with Thalia's Lieutenant and runs rampant with Hanweir Garrison. Drop human tokens making Thalia's Lieutenant bigger, tokens die making Unruly Mob bigger. There is to much going on with those 3 cards alone.

I actually threw a deck together that centered the Unruly Mob/Thalia's Lieutenant combo before Eldritch Moon came out. Now that Hanweir Garrison is out I think it could become a threatening deck.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2016, 07:21:20 pm »
  @Skeri, if you wanted to you could combo thalia's lieutenant with ironclad slayer and ghostly wings. This will create a combo that keeps putting +1/+1 counters on Thalia's lieutenant since the slayer is a human.

skeri

• Decks
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2016, 08:47:30 pm »
  @Skeri, if you wanted to you could combo thalia's lieutenant with ironclad slayer and ghostly wings. This will create a combo that keeps putting +1/+1 counters on Thalia's lieutenant since the slayer is a human.

That's a great combo, I may do that!

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2016, 10:42:01 pm »
So lets see what we got? hmmm...
Unruly Mob/Thalia's Lieutenant with Hanweir Garrison, added with Ironclad Slayer/Ghostly WIngs. Drop in Sigarda's Aid to give instant speed on Ghostly Wings. Then bring in Hanweir Battlements for haste and if need be meld with Hanweir Garrison. Bring in Westvale Abbey clause for the tokens. Secure the Wastes for more Unruly Mob Shenanigans and to help Westvale Abbey. Zulaport Cutthroat(also a human) for a small life gain threat. Vampiric Rites for the draw aspect of the deck, also good sac fodder/combo for Unruly Mob.
Lol 4 colors is nuts, but boy it looks good on paper.

skeri

• Decks
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2016, 10:58:38 pm »
Unruly Mob/Thalia's Lieutenant with Hanweir Garrison, added with Ironclad Slayer/Ghostly WIngs. Drop in Sigarda's Aid to give instant speed on Ghostly Wings. Then bring in Hanweir Battlements for haste and if need be meld with Hanweir Garrison. Bring in Westvale Abbey clause for the tokens. Secure the Wastes for more Unruly Mob Shenanigans and to help Westvale Abbey. Zulaport Cutthroat(also a human) for a small life gain threat. Vampiric Rites for the draw aspect of the deck, also good sac fodder/combo for Unruly Mob.

I know it's not a human but you could toss in Selfless Spirit and then Unruly Mob gets counters while you gets indestructible at instant speed. Adding Zulaport Cutthroat into the mix turns this into a scary sounding aristocrats deck. The cool thing about him is that when he pings your opponent every time one of your creatures die it makes your opponents think twice about pulling languish on your tiny army.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2016, 11:37:06 pm »

I know it's not a human but you could toss in Selfless Spirit and then Unruly Mob gets counters while you gets indestructible at instant speed. Adding Zulaport Cutthroat into the mix turns this into a scary sounding aristocrats deck. The cool thing about him is that when he pings your opponent every time one of your creatures die it makes your opponents think twice about pulling languish on your tiny army.

While it is a 36 card aggro weenie deck. 40 with the added Selfless Spirit. 8 lands would supposively colorless, meaning 12 would have to churn 4 colors. What lands would one choose then and would you also cut back on the colorless?
Using Ghostly Wings would it matter what card you are discarding? Because that card more than like isn't going to be playable.

I have most of this deck myself. It's missing 1 Thalia, 3 Garrison, 3 Battlement, 4 Aids, 4 Ironclad, 2 Secure, 4 Spirits.
Lol ok about 1/3rd of the deck.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2016, 12:34:36 pm »
  But if you think about it though, with the ghostly wings you can get madness triggers and pay lower costs for the cards that you pitch away. Also pious evangel//wayward disciple is a good way to stay above your opponent and keep the life drain going. And with the new gavony unhallowed you're giving yourself pretty much 8 copies of unruly mob! And on top of that the hanweir militia captain// westvale cult leader can also pump out some creatures as long as you protect it long enough. With these suggestions i'm seeing a (W/U/B/R) that focuses on haste, life gain/drain, creature tokens and possibly making big creatures when needed to. If you use the right lands such as port town (which enter untapped when revealing a certain land), and maybe even using the investigate mechanic in conjunction with geist of the archives. This can keep you from self milling and work more towards self scrying, especially if you're using cards such as nagging thoughts and catalog. This can help with the card draws and even fuel delirium. Good times.....

skeri

• Decks
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2016, 04:03:03 pm »
  But if you think about it though, with the ghostly wings you can get madness triggers and pay lower costs for the cards that you pitch away. Also pious evangel//wayward disciple is a good way to stay above your opponent and keep the life drain going. And with the new gavony unhallowed you're giving yourself pretty much 8 copies of unruly mob! And on top of that the hanweir militia captain// westvale cult leader can also pump out some creatures as long as you protect it long enough. With these suggestions i'm seeing a (W/U/B/R) that focuses on haste, life gain/drain, creature tokens and possibly making big creatures when needed to. If you use the right lands such as port town (which enter untapped when revealing a certain land), and maybe even using the investigate mechanic in conjunction with geist of the archives. This can keep you from self milling and work more towards self scrying, especially if you're using cards such as nagging thoughts and catalog. This can help with the card draws and even fuel delirium. Good times.....

If you're going to have black and white in the deck anyway you could always sideboard Not Forgotten or Cemetery Recruitment if the discard becomes a problem. Just the Wind also pairs nicely as the discard in Ghostly Wings but it doesn't help the tempo of this deck.

As far as mana goes I would probably run Holdout Settlement and, like G. Moto mentioned, Port Town and other dual colored that can come in untapped. And of course evolving wilds would be good. I've never run a deck with 4 colors so I have no idea how dependable it is.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 04:06:53 pm by skeri »

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2016, 03:16:33 pm »
I've never run a deck with 4 colors so I have no idea how dependable it is.

I'll keep it simple for now :D

Holding cards in hand you can't play because your missing that color. In our scenaro and using Ghostly Wings. If we have that in hand with 1 or 2 madness cards. It won't do any good if there is no blue mana producer on the field.

Long answer to follow later this weekend

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2016, 07:26:34 pm »
  It won't be too bad. The Pre-release for shadows over innistrad I ran a 5-color human/spirit deck using investigation and I actually won my first match with it. And that was the first time I EVER used a 5 color deck. It seems difficult but when you have the green vessel of nascency, fork in the road combo with your not forgotten you've just produced up to two-three types of colors from your deck in one turn. Play those cards in conjunction with stoic builder and you'll be pitching lands and then adding them right back to your hand. You could get all the colors that you need in under 5 turns when adding the right cards that scry and recycle. Also the dual lands will alleviate this problem since you're getting two for one card.
   Also the big thing to consider is this, geist of the archives lets you scry EVERY upkeep. That means every turn you're deciding do I want to keep this card or not. Have multiples on the field and use investigation or catalog or the nagging thoughts and you're setting up plays where you can scry, draw into the cards that you want and then madness away the cards that you need to play in those situations. A 4-Color deck is not at all hard to operate, it's just adding the right cards that create a flow to the deck. For example; Most people before Innistrad probably would not run a deck that sacs their own lands. But with the gitrog monster you can sac your land, play EXTRA land and get a EXTRA draw when one hits the yard. Having lands that come back or having enough basic that you want to mill works best. Also crawling sensation helps with the gitrog monster because you can let the frog sac the land without you milling and then you can still get an insect token. That is an example of synergy and that's exactly what you can have as well in this deck. Decks are puzzles waiting to be solved.