deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Need help deciding on deck for Budget EDH (casual) challenge  (Read 226 times)

Shznt84

• Decks
We have just recently gotten into EDH and my playgroup has decided to put together a $40 deck challenge.  Basically each player has to come with a deck that you can buy today for less than $40 (not including basic lands).  I have two decks that I think would be fun, but not sure which one is "better" (keeping in mind I am not going against any decks over $40).

One is a complete control deck with Talrand, Sky Summoner and Swinging with a bunch of 2/2 Flying: http://deckstats.net/decks/42385/516810-talrand-sky-summoner-edh-budge/en

The other is more of crank out a bunch of Dragons early in the game, then have the ability to disregard my commander later in the game when I have enough mana to drop dragons (or heavy burn) later on the game: http://deckstats.net/decks/42385/529057-jhoira-the-khaleesi-of-edh/en

Neither are completely new ideas; however, I had spent a bunch of time trying to get the most bang for the buck with each deck.  As of right now, each one is around $35 on TCG although Deckstats has it around $45.

If I am way off on both, I am open to other suggestions.

Thanks for the help guys.

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
Re: Need help deciding on deck for Budget EDH (casual) challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 06:41:29 pm »
Hi! I personally like the Mono-blue deck just because it should be able to answer other decks so well. With all the countermagic and the swarms of fliers, it can easily get out of hand quickly. I have very few suggestions, and I'll try to keep them all cheap.

Negate is only $0.25, and seems good here.

Tamiyo's Journal (0$.35) could be nice in a control deck too. Lets you either build up extra cards, or can be saved to find win conditions. Clues also seems like a great option for a deck that plays mostly on it's opponents turns. Gives you a mana outlet in case your opponents don't play anything.

Proteus Staff ($0.35) could be a really interesting option. You can use it on a drake and dig for Guile or one of your other fatties, or use it on your opponents biggest threats to mitigate damage. Its a nice cheap way to add some chaos to the game, and since the decks are all so cheap, it's unlikely there will be huge quantities of giant unstoppable guys. 

If there's room left in the budget, Isochron Scepter ($5.50) could be a blowout. Counterspell, Negate, Anticipate, Brainstorm, Impulse, Vapor Snag... all amazing targets. Plus the Scepter makes you cast the spell instead of just play it, so it will trigger the commander each time. There may not be enough targets, but its something to think about.

Hope you found this helpful! Good luck and Happy Hunting :)
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Shznt84

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 07:33:59 pm »
Hey KouriNick, thanks for the suggestions!  I can definitely see adding Negate, Tamiyo's Journal, and Proteus Staff.  Now the million dollar question is what to take out.  I am like the idea of Merfolk Looter and Thought Courier for cycling through the deck, but with Talrand it is taking two (weaker creatures) instead of instants and sorceries.  I feel like the hardest thing with these EDH decks is narrowing down to 100.

Shznt84

• Decks
Re: Talrand, Sky Summoner EDH Budget (under $40) - Comments
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 01:46:40 am »
I have been testing the starting hand (and adding cards from there), made a few changes and on TCG I am right about at budget.  It seems like the only thing that seems to be the big hole here is that there really isn't much that can be done until turn 6 or so in order to get out the Commander and keep him alive from a 1 shot kill (or wait until round 4 to bring him out and hope he lives to see round 5).

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 05:36:04 pm »
Ya, there isn't much ramp in blue, so Sapphire Medallion and Sol ring are really the only bets to get him out early. with backup mana. I guess you could cast the commander when you have 5 mana and hold up Dispel ($0.25) and try to stop removal. Seems super situational, but its another option.   
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.