deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Casual] My 2nd ever MTG Deck [B Zombie/Vampire]  (Read 394 times)

Sandman91

• Decks
[Casual] My 2nd ever MTG Deck [B Zombie/Vampire]
« on: August 01, 2016, 05:09:39 am »
My 2nd ever MTG Deck [B Zombie/Vampire]

Something I built after finding an old binder of cards at a yard sale and cracking a few Eldlritch Moon packs. Leave some comments since this is still my second ever deck build and I'd like to know what people think.

Philippe Saner

• Decks
Re: [Casual] My 2nd ever MTG Deck [B Zombie/Vampire]
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 11:05:16 am »
Looks better than the title led me to expect. But there's still a lot of room to improve here.

The deck has three basic problems.

The first is that it's playing 6 too many Swamps. 24 lands in a 60-card deck is much better than 30 lands in a 66-card deck.

The second is that you don't get much payoff for your tribal theme. Liliana rewards you a bit for playing Zombies, but most of your cards would work just as well alongside Brushwaggs.

The third is that many of your cards just aren't that powerful. Walking Corpse isn't garbage, but it's no match for Relentless Dead or Gatekeeper of Malakir. I might play Demon's Grasp in Draft, but in Constructed I'd really rather have Grasp of Darkness or Murder. Again, Liliana's the exception. If you look at the price column in your deck breakdown, you'll see that about 90% of the deck's price is just her.

Do you have easy access to cards? Because card availability will be the main limitation on your ability to improve this.

Sandman91

• Decks
Re: My 2nd ever MTG Deck B Zombie/Vampire - Comments
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 06:32:31 pm »
I'm very much a budget player and get cards when I can and put this together with what I had available. The binder I got had about two hundred and something cards in it and I didn't get very many blacks in my Eldritch Moon packs either. I'd shit myself if I was ever gifted a sealed booster box lol.  I also don't really have a local gaming store in my immediate area, the nearest one is about an hour and half away so I'm stuck with Walmart and online retailers as my card stores :(

I'm glad this deck isn't too bad, but I'm still noobish enough to not really be able to spot problems with my builds so thanks for the input on that! I'll definitely take 'Better than expected' over a fail any day.

skeri

• Do something that scares you.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 08:59:15 pm »
Welcome to the forum and MTG! I am also a budget player (college is expensive) so I can sympathize with you there. I was ecstatic to pull Liliana, the Last Hope in the Eldritch Moon sealed event I played at. I also like to play aggro or tribal decks (both if I can get it) and my current favorite is my B/R vampire tribal so I'll offer you some advice! I'll apologize now for a long post.  ::)

One thing you need to keep in mind when building a deck is strategy. How are you going to win? Are you going to play aggressively (more offensively focused) and overwhelm your opponent with a horde of cheap creatures? Are you going to play control (more defensively focused) and counter every move your opponent makes? Or are you going to play Mid-range and adapt to whatever situation you find yourself in? Your deck right now doesn't have a clear plan for winning. You have some life drain/gain, some counters and madness, and graveyard recursion, but there is no big combo or creature strategy for sealing the deal on your victory.

Also consider your synergy. Synergy is what happens when all of your cards work well together. Your creature types are all zombies and vampires yes, but do they work well together? You want cards that have abilities and spells that help each other out. Like playing Macabre Waltz with Alms of the Vein; they help each other out because you can discard Alms when you play the Waltz and then play Alms for one mana at it's madness cost. You want to play cards that work well together. Another example is your Gavony Unhallowed with a card like Nantuko Husk; Nantuko Husk would let you sacrifice a creature at will which in turn would put a counter on Gavony Unhallowed as you need to instead of waiting for your opponent to kill your creatures.

You could try playing more than one color. Most starter decks are two colored. This is so that you can play cards that work well together and have the advantages of more than one color. Black, as you've noticed, is great for graveyard/sacrifice perks but blue, for example, offers some more control and draw card options. U/B zombie tribal decks can be a lot of fun. Since you are playing with cards you own this also gives you the option of having more cards to choose from rather than limiting yourself to cards from one color.

Lastly, I tend to order cards online when I can't get to the shop to buy them. Opening packs is exciting, but you will save money if you build a deck on a site like this and then buy the specific cards you need.

I hope that helps you a little bit on your deck building journey! It's great that you are building your own decks from scratch. This site is a great place to ask people for help.  ;D
Time is precious, waste it wisely.

Philippe Saner

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 11:40:49 pm »
Given your card availability issues, I'm not going to suggest anything complex. I'm just going to throw a list of cards that I think are worth playing at you. Sticking to monoblack for the Zombies, and red-black for the Vampires.

If you need money, you might consider selling Liliana. Awesome as she is, you could buy two entire decks for her cost. Her price is going to drop when she leaves Standard, so if you're still playing you can buy her back then.

Bear in mind this is just my subjective opinion: don't take these lists as gospel.

Good cheap Zombie cards:

Diregraf Ghoul
Ghoulcaller's Chant
Shambling Goblin
Dark Salvation
Graf Harvest
Boneknitter
Skinthinner
Highborn Ghoul
Wight of Precinct Six
Blood Scrivener
Necromancer's Stockpile
Cemetery Recruitment
Nantuko Husk
Undead Gladiator
Ghoulraiser
Lifebane Zombie
Grave Defiler
Grave Scrabbler
Gravedigger
Vengeful Dead
Skinrender
Moan of the Unhallowed
Liliana's Reaver
Gisa's Bidding
Haunted Dead
Call to the Grave
Cruel Revival
Noxious Ghoul
Gray Merchant of Asphodel
From Under the Floorboards
Gempalm Polluter
Zombie Apocalypse
Noosegraf Mob

Not-so-cheap Zombie cards:

Gravecrawler
Cryptbreaker
Relentless Dead
Diregraf Colossus
Cemetery Reaper
Lord of the Undead
Death Baron
Geralf's Messenger
Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
Undead Warchief
Endless Ranks of the Dead
Risen Executioner

Good cheap Vampire cards:

Guul Draz Vampire
Vampire Lacerator
Stromkirk Noble
Falkenrath Gorger
Indulgent Aristocrat
Insolent Neonate
Feast of Blood
Vampire Hexmage
Urge to Feed
Ruthless Cullblade
Bloodthrone Vampire
Vampiric Fury
Asylum Visitor
Heir of Falkenrath
Olivia's Bloodsworn
Ravenous Bloodseeker
Furyblade Vampire
Vampire Aristocrat
Rakish Heir
Chosen of Markov
Markov Blademaster
Stromkirk Captain
Dark Impostor
Stensia Masquerade
Stromkirk Occultist
Elusive Tormentor
Bloodhall Priest
Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
Falkenrath Marauders
Incorrigible Youths
Voldaren Pariah
Markov Dreadknight
Ascendant Evincar
Vein Drinker
Chancellor of the Dross

Not-so-cheap Vampire cards:

Blade of the Bloodchief
Blood Artist
Kalastria Highborn
Gatekeeper of Malakir
Bloodghast
Stromkirk Condemned
Captivating Vampire
Drana, Liberator of Malakir
Olivia, Mobilized for War
Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
Bloodline Keeper
Olivia Voldaren
Vampire Nocturnus
Bloodlord of Vaasgoth
Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Necropolis Regent

PS: If you want to do something a bit fancier with the deck, you could look at the Madness mechanic. Vampires and Zombies both do stuff with it, and a dedicated Madness deck can be pretty good. Some of the cards recommended above aren't much good outside one.