deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] Enter the Battlefield...again, and again, and again.  (Read 421 times)

Nickadimoose

• Decks
Enter the Battlefield...again, and again, and again.

This is a definite work in progress but the entire idea behind this deck is abusing enter the battlefield effects, in this case those that produce the mana-train Eldrazi Scion.  This deck is all about pumping up to those devastating board wipe creatures, Ulamog or the Decimator of The Provinces, which acts to give all the Scions trample +2/+2.

Like I said this is a big work in progress kind of deal, I only started building the deck today but if you have any recommendations feel free. I played a deck like this at the BTF pre-release and it always felt like I had a creature to sack or something to do rather than sit idly and wait. I loved it.

Shznt84

• Decks
Re: [Standard] Enter the Battlefield...again, and again, and again.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 10:15:39 pm »
I would suggest doing a search on here for "Blink" decks as there are some cool combos.  It seem like most are U/W.  Just taking a look, I would try to swap out Primal Druid for something that activates when it either enters or leaves the battlefield and Decimator with either another creature that has a cool ability when it enters or leaves the battlefield OR something with Annihilator, ie- Bane of Bala Ged especially with all of the Scions you will be pumping out.  Cloudshift is another good staple, especially for helping protect your creatures while bringing them back to activate their abilities.

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 10:28:14 pm »
Hi! cool deck idea. the concept seems really solid, and with only a couple small changes, I think you'll find the deck to work even better!

Pilgrim's Eye seems more in line with what you're trying to do than Primal Druid. He may cost 1 more, but his effect is ETB, so all the flicker effects will get you extra land, whereas Primal Druid actually has to die.

27 land also seems like a lot... even the most land heavy ramp decks only run around 24. You could cut three land for 3 Elvish Visionary. Gives card draw and more stuff to do T2 since Primal Druid is out.

The New Foul Emissary could be a neat addition too, just something to think about.

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

ElderDeepFrier

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 02:23:27 am »
Have you considered Cryptolith Rite? It turns your scions into creatures that you can tap for double the mana. Essentially. Play Eyeless watcher turn 4 with it and you now have 7 mana instantly!

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 04:19:50 am »
Have you considered Cryptolith Rite? It turns your scions into creatures that you can tap for double the mana. Essentially. Play Eyeless watcher turn 4 with it and you now have 7 mana instantly!

Those creatures would have summoning sickness and would be unable to tap for mana that turn.  The enchantment Cryptolith Rite adds an activated ability to each creature you control.  The ability is inside the quotation marks and reads, "T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."  The creatures would have to have haste for it to be able to use an activated ability or attack right after entering the battlefield.

You can tap the scions for any color mana then sacrifice them for colorless mana you just can't do it the turn they enter the battlefield unless you can give each of them haste.  You can sacrifice them the turn they enter the battlefield because that ability doesn't require tapping as a cost.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 04:42:21 am »
I run a Modern version of a Blink/Flicker deck and I find it a very fun and interactive deck.  No two games play out the same way :)

I think adding 2 more Eyeless Watchers might be a good idea.  Decimator of the Provinces has an emerge cost of 9 so the ideal time to cast it would be turn 5.  Sacrificing a 4cmc creature and swinging with all the scions buffed up because of cast trigger.  That puts a premium on finding Eyeless Watcher quickly and sacrificing it.

You could add some From Beyond.  It fulfills your ramp concept by giving you an Eldrazi Scion each turn and can be sacrificed, for almost no cost, to find either of your finishers when your ready to win.  Shoot in this deck it wouldn't be hard to sacrifice this enchantment and cast Decimator of the Provinces on the same turn.

I also agree with KouriNick about Pilgrim's Eye.  It give you a flying blocker when you need it, finds lands when it enters the battlefield, and is a guaranteed turn three play in case you are only drawing 1 color of mana.

Nickadimoose

• Decks
Re: Enter the Battlefield...again, and again, and again. - Comments
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 05:06:30 pm »
Okay, so here are some of the changes based on a lot of information that you guy's posted here, also thank you a lot for it! I did a check on a lot of the blink decks posted here and two of the coolest interactions I found were with an Eldrazi card (I can't remember the name for some reason) that when it entered the battlefield you made your opponent discard one and Reflector Mage. I chose to abuse the Reflector Mage enter mechanic, I think it will really help this deck in particular, in getting setup for that epic board run.

I've added in Bane of Gala Ged for that reason as well, as suggested b y Shznt84. The mana to jump this thing into play in a deck like this is quite easy!

KouriNick & Jabilac, I'm glad to see you both again, you both provided wonderful insight into my zombies deck which was a lot of fun to play with this past weekend (I got destroyed but it was still fun). I agree completely about Pilgrim's Eye, which is now in the deck in place of Primal Druid, From Beyond is now in there and more Eyeless Watchers are now in the deck as well. The emerge cost is just pure ruin & fun in this deck, I can't wait to see what it can do.

I'm worried that I'm trying to juggle too many enter effects now. I have to play-test live with the deck and see about balancing my mana-base, but overall I think this is a really cool, fun deck to play with now. It makes me WANT to play it and have a ton of things to sacrifice and a ton of cards to play.

Elvish Visionary has also been added, in the hopes of gathering those cards that are necessary to making this deck fun to play! I'm hoping that a minimal amount of islands will help me play Reflector Mage, due to being able to maybe sack a Scion for an island every now and again to play him, then work on exiling him back in/out of play when necessary. I'm not sure yet but I look forward to playing it.

Thanks for all the awesome input guys, if you know anything else that might help - feel free!

Bartley

• Greetings!
  • Decks

Gomarrota

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 06:53:53 pm »
I maked a version of your deck just changing some lands and adding cryptolith rite , i like this deck and want to try how it works but i think it needs any creature killer or exile enemy creatures because i played some games versus fast deck blue / red and had no posibility to do nothing vs aggro decks like this with flight and unblockable creature spells

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 07:04:08 pm »

Elvish Visionary has also been added, in the hopes of gathering those cards that are necessary to making this deck fun to play! I'm hoping that a minimal amount of islands will help me play Reflector Mage, due to being able to maybe sack a Scion for an island every now and again to play him, then work on exiling him back in/out of play when necessary. I'm not sure yet but I look forward to playing it.

Holdout Settlement might work out for you in this deck.  It allows you to tap the land and tap an untapped creature you control to add 1 mana of any color to your mana pool, perfect for all those scions your creating.  It will allow you to get whatever color you need smooth out your mana requirements.  The real kicker to this card is you can tap a creature with summoning sickness to provide the mana you need because the card Holdout Settlement is what is tapping the creature not an activated ability of the creature itself.

Now we need to decide on a sideboard for this deck... I'm thinking something like Natural State or Naturalize, Blessed Alliance, Pacifism or Stasis Snare, Dromoka's command, and Clip Wings or Aerial Volley.

Nickadimoose

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 09:01:13 pm »
Venser, the Sojourner?

That would have been a disgusting card to add but I'm playing standard only!

Holdout Settlement is fantastic and you're absolutely right! The interaction between Holdout Settlement and a freshly minted Eldrazi Scion is pretty gorgeous, I had no idea that something like that would work.

Sideboards...I'm not good at deciding sideboards at all until I see it in action. I love creating decks on here but if I can't see how it goes in action against another deck I'm pretty stumped about what else it needs. You're right in that flying is probably going to destroy me, as I have virtually nothing to stop it, would adding in some Reach oriented creatures help in this case? I keep setting it up mentally against Bant Company and I'm pretty much guaranteed a loss for how odd the mana draws are in the early game. :P

If we can curve the mana into being more efficient for this deck to start tapping into the scion engine it could work. I did some practice hands using the deck building system here and they were quite ugly/fragmented due to the 3 color interaction.