deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Kaladesh New Card Discussion  (Read 18157 times)

Jabilac

• Decks
Re: Kaladesh New Card Discussion
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2016, 07:16:46 pm »
A few new Mid-Day Spoilers:

Welding Sparks is a flexable damage spell.  Probably gonna hit for an average of 4-5 and even more if you are artifact centered.

Fragmentize our first real artifact destruction spell.  The low cost and wide application is nice.  4cmc or less will get quite a few of the problem Artifacts we have seen so far.

Underhanded Designs is 2 very interesting abilities in 1 card.  Neither would be worth the card alone but combined isn't too bad.  We have an Extort like effect for all artifacts that ETB under your control and we have an Executioner's Capsule like effect with a different restriction.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2016, 07:34:01 pm »
Midnight Oil is seriously begging for a Harmless Offering, that's the first thing that came to my mind after seeing it. That and cards that can make your opponent draw. Seems like this would fit into a mill style deck. Acrobatic Maneuver I am super thrilled to see! I love ETB effects and blink styled decks. This is going to be such a fun set to draft for prerelease!

I am looking forward to this Pre-Release more then I was for SOI.  I just like the new mechanics better.  I am really kind of excited for Energy Counters and I think the Vehicle and Crew mechanics are very flavorful.  A few of the vehicles are actually pretty decent cards.  Smuggler's Copter is a very nicely costed 3/3 flyer with the upside of looting.  Turns a 1/1 POS into a decent evasion beater that loots for the low cost of 2.  Shoot I can already see this card making its way into a few of my decks that use utility creatures like Blade Splicer, Eternal Witness, Sakura Tribe Elder ect. Turn those creatures into threats without potentially losing them.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2016, 04:21:59 pm »

Spoilers for today guys. I'm liking the look of Craftmaster Paradigm. It makes white quite powerful from the cards I've seen so far. With a simple 1 drop artifact this can deal 3 damage on turn 2 potentially. Also, there are a few cards that empower dwarves, especially the multicoloured R/W legendary, making a dwarves the next werewolves and vampires tribal. Equipment decks watch out, this might be what you've been waiting for.

I'm not sure about Electrostatic Pummeler. I'm combination with other artifacts, possibly,  but in standard, I doubt this will get played. It's just too expensive on mana and energy.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 04:28:01 pm by Mnemosyne »

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2016, 06:06:15 pm »
New Spoilers for today:

We got our last Gearhulk.  Combustible Gearhulk is kind of like browbeat stuck onto a 6/6 first strike body.  Fun :)

Craftmaster Paradigm has some promise.  Starts out at 1/1 but can get +2/+1 at Beginning of the controlers Combat Step if you control 1 or more artifacts and gets First Strike if you control 3 or more.  A nicely costed efficiently aggro creature.  Keeps the pressure on while you build your board state.

Consulate Surveillance is a repeatable Pay No Heed with a small restriction.

Electrostatic Pummeler is a 1/1 for 3 that can be pumped for EEE.  It gets +X/+X until end of turn where X is its power.  I am not impressed with this guy just yet but maybe after the entire set is spoiled he will look better.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2016, 08:21:56 pm »
We also got to see all our new Basic Lands today.  Some of the artwork is pretty cool.  I posted a few I liked:

Now for some new Spoilers:

I see a few standouts among these C and U.

Blossoming Defense is gonna be the bane of Standard Burn and Control players for a while.  G for hexproof and +2/+2 I know I will be playing these in even green splashed decks.  Standard GB Delirium decks just got a little scarier as well.

Contraband Kingpin is a cheap blocker with lifelink to discourage attacks and starts gaining you small amounts of card advantage.  Scry 1 for every artifact ETB in an artifact heavy set is going to matter.

Glint-Nest Crane hopefully replaces itself in your hand with an artifact you want to play.  With the selection of Vehicles, Artifacts, and Artifact Creatures this should hit more often then it misses.

Lawless Broker isn't the best creature but his 3 Power will help him trade and make your biggest thing a little bigger.

Prakhata Club Security definitely the worst of the spoilers here.  4cmc for a vanilla 3/4 is just kind of sad but its better then a 3/3  ;D

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2016, 09:00:06 pm »
Jabilac Lol, now I know why you reposted those pictures, that I 'tried' to post! They show up on my phone, strange that they didn't appear on the forum. Anyway, thanks for the Spoilers!

Blooming Defense is definitely on my card list for my Eldrazi Ramp Deck, now Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger will be saved from Anguished Unmaking! Mwha!

The lands are lovely. It's a shame that Wotc stopped making their full art lands after Zendikar. That wasn't a gimmick at all...

Contraband Kingpin might not make it into Standard play but it is still a great card, perhaps someone can make use of skulk/ draw-discard mechanic.

Combustible Gearhulk is definitely a great card, especially in conjunction with a ramp deck running Chandra, Torch of Defiance.

I'm thinking that Chandra can pay for (2) of its cost, and Combustible Gearhulk will enter for (4) with the distinct possibility that my opponent will allow me to draw (3) instead of taking (3-5) damage from a high mana curved ramp deck. Definitely, a great card advantage if nothing else! Providing your opponent does not have something like Consulate Surveillance.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:09:17 pm by Mnemosyne »

Nickadimoose

• Decks
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2016, 09:24:52 pm »
Woah Blossoming Defense, why in the world would they do that? That's an amazing card for such a cheap cost. Silverfur Partisan/Zada combo utility?

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2016, 09:33:32 pm »
Jabilac Lol, now I know why you reposted those pictures, that I 'tried' to post! They show up on my phone, strange that they didn't appear on the forum. Anyway, thanks for the Spoilers!

Blooming Defense is definitely on my card list for my Eldrazi Ramp Deck, now Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger will be saved from Anguished Unmaking! Mwha!

The lands are lovely. It's a shame that Wotc stopped making their full art lands after Zendikar. That wasn't a gimmick at all...

Contraband Kingpin might not make it into Standard play but it is still a great card, perhaps someone can make use of skulk/ draw-discard mechanic.

Combustible Gearhulk is definitely a great card, especially in conjunction with a ramp deck running Chandra, Torch of Defiance.

I'm thinking that Chandra can pay for (2) of its cost, and Combustible Gearhulk will enter for (4) with the distinct possibility that my opponent will allow me to draw (3) instead of taking (3-5) damage from a high mana curved ramp deck. Definitely, a great card advantage if nothing else! Providing your opponent does not have something like Consulate Surveillance.

Ya know I had the same problem when I was posting SOI spoilers.  I "posted" a planeswalker spoiler on my phone and later checked the thread only to see it was nowhere in site.  I didn't even see you had pics in there until I was in the reply section and saw broken pic links. :)

I was unaware the full art lands were a Zendikar only thing.  That makes me sad.  I love my full art lands.  Artwork is one of the under appreciated aspects of Magic imo.

Checking Mythic Spoiler I see these at the bottom and these are marked Masterpiece Series Kaladesh Inventions:

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2016, 10:19:16 pm »
I was unaware the full art lands were a Zendikar only thing.  That makes me sad.  I love my full art lands.  Artwork is one of the under appreciated aspects of Magic imo.

Checking Mythic Spoiler I see these at the bottom and these are marked Masterpiece Series Kaladesh Inventions:

Yeh, it is under appreciated. Do you think these cards will be made legal in Standard, or are they just for eye candy? Because I want to eat my candy! (I have 4 Hangarback Walkers I have rarely used.)  :-\

Oh yeh! and this, sorry to spoiler steal  ;)

I mean unless your opponent uses tokens, I am not really impressed with this, either. It's like Bone Splinters but for (5) mana, and assumes you want to destroy your own board state to destroy your opponent's, might as well just use Planar Outburst.

Now, if it said permanents! You could sacrifice artifacts, and that would be delicious. If you could use a card like Trait Doctoring on it... mmm
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 10:28:44 pm by Mnemosyne »

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2016, 10:21:04 pm »
Woah Blossoming Defense, why in the world would they do that? That's an amazing card for such a cheap cost. Silverfur Partisan/Zada combo utility?

I had not thought of that, that's ridiculous... haha

Ujihiro

« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2016, 11:56:55 pm »

It also put Woodcutter's Grit out of a job  :P

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2016, 12:07:35 am »

Yeh, it is under appreciated. Do you think these cards will be made legal in Standard, or are they just for eye candy? Because I want to eat my candy! (I have 4 Hangarback Walkers I have rarely used.)  :-\

Oh yeh! and this, sorry to spoiler steal  ;)

I mean unless your opponent uses tokens, I am not really impressed with this, either. It's like Bone Splinters but for (5) mana, and assumes you want to destroy your own board state to destroy your opponent's, might as well just use Planar Outburst.

Now, if it said permanents! You could sacrifice artifacts, and that would be delicious. If you could use a card like Trait Doctoring on it... mmm

Yeah I am unimpressed with Eliminate the Competition.  It is really only going to be useful for a Fabricate deck that makes tons of 1/1 servo's and then your using 5 mana and x creatures to destroy x creatures.  I would rather just cast Cataclysmic Gearhulk :)

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2016, 12:15:19 am »
Holy Toledo.  Another check on Mythic Spoiler and they have filled in quite a few of The Masterpiece Series Kaladesh Inventions:

Wow that is a ton of great artifacts.  I would guess these are not going to be Standard playable unless they are a reprint of what is available.  So the Gearhulks will be for sure but the rest might just new art prints.  They are all marked with an MPS as in MasterPiece Series so what I expect is for these to just be found inside of Kaladesh boosters but to be more collector card/Modern/Legacy playable cards and less actually Standard Playable but I could be wrong.  Oh and the art of most of these is incredible.

Edit: Misspelling

Ujihiro

« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2016, 12:23:36 am »
... I would guess these are not going to be Standard playable unless they are a reprint of what is available ...

*le sigh* I would have killed to see Sol Ring make a comeback to Standard

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2016, 12:30:46 am »
Probably will be like Zendikar Expedition lands, legal for the prerelease or drafts if you open them but not standard legal otherwise.
This space for rent.