deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Kaladesh New Card Discussion  (Read 18199 times)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
Re: Kaladesh New Card Discussion
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2016, 12:41:03 am »
Probably will be like Zendikar Expedition lands, legal for the prerelease or drafts if you open them but not standard legal otherwise.

As soon as I saw Sword of Fire and Ice, Sol Ring, Painter's Servant, Mox Opal and Aether Vial... I knew this was DEFINITELY not going to be Standard legal... Oh man, if it were like Zendikar Expedition lands... the prices for these would be like buying a Van Gough painting at auction. Okay, that's an exaggeration.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 12:44:26 am by Mnemosyne »

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2016, 12:55:31 am »
Mana Crypt has been pre-released in Kaladesh Inventions for :
194,93 € / 218.32 $

Hangarback Walker has been pre-released in Kaladesh Inventions for:
74,94 € / 83.93 $

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2016, 01:19:48 am »
Probably will be like Zendikar Expedition lands, legal for the prerelease or drafts if you open them but not standard legal otherwise.

I can see this happening and be cool because I enjoyed how the expedition lands played out in trying to get 1 or 2 lol or even more
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2016, 02:48:05 am »
Mana Crypt has been pre-released in Kaladesh Inventions for :
194,93 € / 218.32 $

Hangarback Walker has been pre-released in Kaladesh Inventions for:
74,94 € / 83.93 $

That hangarback walker price is silly. The normal ones are ~3$ on a good day. I understand the rarity markup, but that's ridiculous.

I can see this happening and be cool because I enjoyed how the expedition lands played out in trying to get 1 or 2 lol or even more

Sadly, despite opening several boxes worth of the Zendikar block,I never saw an expedition. :(
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2016, 02:43:02 pm »

Sadly, despite opening several boxes worth of the Zendikar block,I never saw an expedition. :(

Same here.
This space for rent.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2016, 02:46:29 pm »
Yeah, expeditions were a nice addition, but a way to generate more sales. Wotc released a statement saying that they included the inventions expansion, because they wanted to make older cards accessible, whilst this is true to a certain extent, the limited supply makes their prices equivalent with the older cards.  :-\ I just hope this is enough to increase the supply of cards like Chandra, torch of defiance

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2016, 02:57:16 pm »
Can't get the image to post but...

Consul's Power 

Enchantment 
Creatures your opponents control enter the battlefield tapped.

Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponents control, you gain 1 life.

So a one drop enchantment with Imposing Sovereign ability. Might see some play in EDH stax decks.
This space for rent.

Nickadimoose

• Decks
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2016, 03:11:42 pm »
Well...this just forced my hand to buy a few booster boxes after prelease. I loved the Zendikar block that rolled out expeditions/full art lands, you made your money back easily if you managed to pull an expedition. I think at max a friend and I got 5 boxes of Zendikar, the initial investment was ~$45.00 a piece, ended up pulling an expedition, trading in for 2 more boxes and then another expedition, 2 more boxes. We had a lot of sealed practice events that weekend lol.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2016, 03:47:37 pm »
Can't get the image to post but...

Consul's Power 

Enchantment 
Creatures your opponents control enter the battlefield tapped.

Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponents control, you gain 1 life.

So a one drop enchantment with Imposing Sovereign ability. Might see some play in EDH stax decks.

I got ya :)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2016, 04:01:46 pm »
Thanks!
This space for rent.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2016, 05:25:32 pm »
Got a couple more today.  1 new Planewalker:

Dovin Baan has an interesting set of abilities.  His +1 can sudo-protect him.  It makes a creature's power significantly weaker and stops any activated abilities.  The effect lasts until your next turn which is nice.  -1 Draws a card and gains a little life.  Not great but inside a UW control deck this could be really nice.  -7 puts the breaks on pretty much all decks and all opponents.  Doesn't win you the game but it makes life extremely difficult for your opponents.

Bomat Courier is an interesting risk/reward card.  It can slowly build up a new hard for you while you attack but if you lose him before you can activate his ability you pretty much milled yourself.  The advantage is after your hand is played out and your ready for a refresh just pay R, discard whatever you have left and put all the cards you exiled over the last few turns into your hand.

Scrapheap Scrounger Yay for more graveyard recursion!  3/2 for 2 is pretty damn nice.  So nice in fact I don't even care that it can't block and after it dies you can just bring it back for the low price of 1B and exiling another creature from your graveyard (Eternal Scourge anyone :) )

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2016, 07:08:36 pm »
Carrying on from Jabilac's Spoilers  ;D

First the uncommons:

Aetherborn Marauder is an interesting card, especially when considering the interaction of counters from some artefacts and creatures in this set, as well as the proliferate mechanic from modern.

Whirler Virtuoso reminds me of Thopter Engineer with the potential to use energy to create more, without the 'haste' ability.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2016, 07:23:14 pm »
Now the best cards in the ENTIRE set, the commons! :P

Inspired Charge is exactly the same card as the BFZ one, just with a different flavour text. Strangely enough, completely different situations.

Salivating Gremlins, just makes me salivate at the thought of bouncing artefacts like Bomat Courier, it is quite expensive for (3) but with +2/0 and trample, this baby can do some delicious damage in sealed.

Ruinous Gremlin seems like a replacement Caustic Caterpillar, it will probably see some play in sideboards as (1) drop, until another good artefact destruction card comes along in red.

Maulfist Squad is simply ****... even though it has menace, it is (4) for a 3/1 with fabricate, you can make a servo, sure but I can use Flaying Tendrils and both are gone.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 07:26:51 pm by Mnemosyne »

Ujihiro

« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2016, 07:26:52 pm »

Whoa! This with Murderous Compulsion! An additional Murder set up with life gain. AH RIKE ET!! :D

Dovin Baan has an interesting set of abilities.  His +1 can sudo-protect him.  It makes a creature's power significantly weaker and stops any activated abilities.  The effect lasts until your next turn which is nice.  -1 Draws a card and gains a little life. Not great but inside a UW control deck this could be really nice.

Wait. A card draw that doesn't cost you a life, a permanent, nor forces you to discard/exile a card from your hand, deck, or graveyard. It gains you life, and this is considered "Not great"? Did I miss something here?

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2016, 07:43:22 pm »
Got a couple more today.  1 new Planewalker:

Dovin Baan has an interesting set of abilities.  His +1 can sudo-protect him.  It makes a creature's power significantly weaker and stops any activated abilities.  The effect lasts until your next turn which is nice.  -1 Draws a card and gains a little life.  Not great but inside a UW control deck this could be really nice.  -7 puts the breaks on pretty much all decks and all opponents.  Doesn't win you the game but it makes life extremely difficult for your opponents.

Scrapheap Scrounger Yay for more graveyard recursion!  3/2 for 2 is pretty damn nice.  So nice in fact I don't even care that it can't block and after it dies you can just bring it back for the low price of 1B and exiling another creature from your graveyard (Eternal Scourge anyone :) )

I've got to say Jabilac, I disagree with you about Scrapheap Scrounger. (Which is rare) It might be a 3/2 for (2) but the recursion requires you to actually have a creature card in your graveyard for you to keep bringing it back, and an extra (2) mana. I don't see this being particularly useful in standard, maybe for a Green/Black Delirium deck, but they still would want to return cards using something like Grapple with the Past, Seasons Past, or Pulse of Murasa, perhaps. It might have its place in modern, providing you don't need the cards in your graveyard, for the dredge mechanic.

Dovin Bann is great, even though he comes in for less loyalty than his mana cost (4/3) like you said his (+1) Pseudo protects him from up to one creature, or disables your opponents creature ability, this, against Jace, Vryn's Prodigy would have been a game changer.
I also like that you can use him to draw and gain life, albeit (2) and he still lives with 2 loyalty.
His ultimate is the reason why I like this so much, its like my friend said, Static Orb it will cripple your opponent. At this stage, 2 permanents will probably be your opponents lands, (assuming he was tapped out before your turn) and this will most likely win you the game? If you have lasted this far. (9 turns in total) without any ramp. 4 turns (Dovin Bann) 5 turns (ultimate)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 07:48:11 pm by Mnemosyne »