deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Kaladesh New Card Discussion  (Read 19762 times)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
Re: Kaladesh New Card Discussion
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2016, 07:56:16 pm »

Dovin Baan has an interesting set of abilities.  His +1 can sudo-protect him.  It makes a creature's power significantly weaker and stops any activated abilities.  The effect lasts until your next turn which is nice.  -1 Draws a card and gains a little life. Not great but inside a UW control deck this could be really nice.

Wait. A card draw that doesn't cost you a life, a permanent, nor forces you to discard/exile a card from your hand, deck, or graveyard. It gains you life, and this is considered "Not great"? Did I miss something here?

I think Jabilac means that to draw a card costs him a loyalty, instead of, gaining him a loyalty. There are other cards that have the same ability but costs less, Healing Hands. You, ideally want to find the most economical and efficient path to victory. Looking at previous planeswalkers, like Nahiri, the Harbinger you can see why Dovin Bann 's ability might be less of an advantage, as it delays you from using the planeswalkers ultimate ability.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 07:57:55 pm by Mnemosyne »

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2016, 07:57:34 pm »

Dovin Baan has an interesting set of abilities.  His +1 can sudo-protect him.  It makes a creature's power significantly weaker and stops any activated abilities.  The effect lasts until your next turn which is nice.  -1 Draws a card and gains a little life. Not great but inside a UW control deck this could be really nice.

Wait. A card draw that doesn't cost you a life, a permanent, nor forces you to discard/exile a card from your hand, deck, or graveyard. It gains you life, and this is considered "Not great"? Did I miss something here?

I guess I should have elaborated a little more on why I think it is "not great".  It is a -1 ability on a 4cmc 3 loyalty planeswalker.  Dropping him in on t4 and then -1 him leaves him at 2 loyalty in a Flying heavy enviroment which makes him feel like a sorcery speed 4 mana Draw 1 card, Gain 2 Life, Prevent 2 damage card and that isn't worth 4 mana .  His -1 as an overall ability is pretty nice.  Draw a card and get a little bit of life in the right deck makes it really nice but not something you can just drop into anything running UW.  I guess my problem is his starting Loyalty in this enviroment.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2016, 08:05:43 pm »
Got your back Jabilac!  :P Not that you needed or required it.

Anyway...
I thought something like this might be coming, but I didn't expect it to be so sudden (Innuendo not intended)
Hexproof artefacts... Oh man, I guess hoping that nothing kills your artefacts before you drop him for (4)

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2016, 08:05:59 pm »

I've got to say Jabilac, I disagree with you about Scrapheap Scrounger. (Which is rare) It might be a 3/2 for (2) but the recursion requires you to actually have a creature card in your graveyard for you to keep bringing it back, and an extra (2) mana. I don't see this being particularly useful in standard, maybe for a Green/Black Delirium deck, but they still would want to return cards using something like Grapple with the Past, Seasons Past, or Pulse of Murasa, perhaps. It might have its place in modern, providing you don't need the cards in your graveyard, for the dredge mechanic.

I can understand where you are coming from and I respect your view but I think you nailed it on the head when you brought up Delirium decks.  This is the exact card they want to see.  2 card types on 1 card to get delirium running and then later you can resurrect him as extra pressure.  Also the combo with Eternal Scourge shouldn't be ignored.  Eternal Scourge is a 3/3 that you never want to see in the graveyard but now you have a way to get him back into exile to cast him all while re-establishing board presence.  He is also a good target for discard in zombie decks another Stitchwing Skaab or Haunted Dead style recursion that doesn't require more discard but exiling an already used 1/1 or something similar.

I could be wrong though I might be blinded by the 3/2 stats for 2 and the graveyard recursion ability :D

Ujihiro

« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2016, 08:13:45 pm »
I guess I should have elaborated a little more on why I think it is "not great".  It is a -1 ability on a 4cmc 3 loyalty planeswalker.  Dropping him in on t4 and then -1 him leaves him at 2 loyalty in a Flying heavy enviroment which makes him feel like a sorcery speed 4 mana Draw 1 card, Gain 2 Life, Prevent 2 damage card and that isn't worth 4 mana .  His -1 as an overall ability is pretty nice.  Draw a card and get a little bit of life in the right deck makes it really nice but not something you can just drop into anything running UW.  I guess my problem is his starting Loyalty in this environment.

Yep. Makes much more sense. Please forgive this pretentious n00b (me) as I recently returned to playing Magic after a decade+ haitus. I guess I am thinking too rigidly toward the Standard only environment. Although, are there not plenty of anti-flying cards, especially for Standard?

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2016, 08:22:55 pm »
Everyone's still learning, especially as each set creates new mechanics. My grasp of the more, complex interactions in Mtg is tenuous at best. haha  :P

Nickadimoose

• Decks
« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2016, 08:35:41 pm »
I have been trying to think of a use for Eternal Scourge for a long time now, yet to find a good place for him to be. I wanted, so very badly, to use Soul Separator in conjunction with him, but WOTC made the decision to make Soul Separator cost 5 and sack itself to use its ability. That made my nerd-rage bubble over hard.

I'm in love with Padeem, Consul of Innovation. My lord...hexproof artifacts, is this really happening? Artifacts are my favorite kinds of cards, that and equipment, so I'm super excited to see more artifact geared flavor cards. I'm hoping for a few other equipment pieces in this set, I'm not super happy about Inventor's Goggles.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2016, 09:38:04 pm »
I have been trying to think of a use for Eternal Scourge for a long time now, yet to find a good place for him to be. I wanted, so very badly, to use Soul Separator in conjunction with him, but WOTC made the decision to make Soul Separator cost 5 and sack itself to use its ability. That made my nerd-rage bubble over hard.

I'm in love with Padeem, Consul of Innovation. My lord...hexproof artifacts, is this really happening? Artifacts are my favorite kinds of cards, that and equipment, so I'm super excited to see more artifact geared flavor cards. I'm hoping for a few other equipment pieces in this set, I'm not super happy about Inventor's Goggles.

There is a combo that involves Eternal Scourge , can't remember what it is atm, I will edited this when I remember.
Well, Padeem, Consul of Innovation is a (4) mana creature that can be targeted, so there is a slight problem with that.
I am not sure whether blue would work with equipment since a lot of cards that use equipment are Red/White. It could work with an Esper Control type deck, although I have no ideas for you at the moment.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2016, 09:42:28 pm »
Here we go, sorry for stealing your thunder, as it were Jabilac!

I like this card, great potential for R/W equipment decks. (1) drop (1/2) potentially a (2/3) turn 2 for (1) like Monastery Swiftspear

The only thing about this card I like is the artwork, otherwise, it is just a (4)mana 4 damage spell. The only plus is that it can target players, as well as creatures. Good for sealed.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 09:45:56 pm by Mnemosyne »

Frimmel

• Decks
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2016, 09:57:38 pm »
Flame Lash is one of the cards exclusive to the new Planeswalker decks. It is intended for sealed if you consider intro decks sealed.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/exclusive-cards-planeswalker-decks-2016-09-13

Orokem

• Decks
« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2016, 10:36:30 pm »
Got your back Jabilac!  :P Not that you needed or required it.

Anyway...
I thought something like this might be coming, but I didn't expect it to be so sudden (Innuendo not intended)
Hexproof artefacts... Oh man, I guess hoping that nothing kills your artefacts before you drop him for (4)

Oh my god could you imagine if this guy costed 3? In modern this could be a thing:
- Turn 3 play Padeem
- Turn 4 play Madcap Experiment, get Platinum Emperion, so you take no damage
- Turn 5 play Saheeli Rai and make another Platinum Emperion, swing with 16 hexproof indestructible

Seems good

Orokem

• Decks
« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2016, 10:41:53 pm »
Sorry for double-posting, but actually come to think of it you could do this for even more fun:
Turn 3 Saheeli Rai
Turn 4 Padeem
Turn 5 Madcap Experiment
Turn 6 Saheeli's Artistry

If Saheeli and Padeem are still alive you have 4 8/8 hexproof indestructibles.

Nickadimoose

• Decks
« Reply #117 on: September 13, 2016, 10:58:37 pm »
Thanks to Inventor's Apprentice I'm now a huge fan of Inventor's Goggles, that's going to be disgusting amounts of fun for an artificer rush deck! :D

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #118 on: September 13, 2016, 11:43:50 pm »
New spoilers:

Ok, So the first thing I notice are that some creatures have a direct synergy with different Planeswalkers.  This is an interesting interaction and I think it maybe a first (correct me if I'm wrong).  Also we have some spells that have a decent effect and find you a specific Planeswalker.  Obviously all the cards are better when you have the respective planeswalker in your deck :)

Terrain Elemental a very standard green creature with a power higher then its cmc should allow.  Not as impressive as some but a very aggressive  creature for 2 that will almost always trade up.

Chandra's Pyrohelix is an old school Forked Bolt with a new name.  Always useful and nice to have.

Tezzeret's Ambition makes me wonder if we are going to see a new Tezzeret Planeswalker card

Impeccable Timing is decent white removal for Standard and even more so in Limited.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #119 on: September 13, 2016, 11:45:19 pm »
I guess I should have elaborated a little more on why I think it is "not great".  It is a -1 ability on a 4cmc 3 loyalty planeswalker.  Dropping him in on t4 and then -1 him leaves him at 2 loyalty in a Flying heavy enviroment which makes him feel like a sorcery speed 4 mana Draw 1 card, Gain 2 Life, Prevent 2 damage card and that isn't worth 4 mana .  His -1 as an overall ability is pretty nice.  Draw a card and get a little bit of life in the right deck makes it really nice but not something you can just drop into anything running UW.  I guess my problem is his starting Loyalty in this environment.

Yep. Makes much more sense. Please forgive this pretentious n00b (me) as I recently returned to playing Magic after a decade+ haitus. I guess I am thinking too rigidly toward the Standard only environment. Although, are there not plenty of anti-flying cards, especially for Standard?

No worries.  Ask questions so you understand why people think the way they do or learn something you didn't know.  If it makes you a better player in the end then its just a bonus :)