deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Kaladesh New Card Discussion  (Read 18215 times)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
Re: Kaladesh New Card Discussion
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2016, 12:35:42 am »
From what I have heard in dark alleys and internet forums *ahem* Tezzeret Planeswalker will be in Aether Revolt. And, it is hinted that Nico Bolas is somewhat involved, hence the symbol for aether revolt looking 'like' Nico Bolas's horned face... Much like Eldritch Moon featured a symbol that hinted Emrakul, The Promised End.

Anyway MTG fanboys and girls spoilers!

Skywhaler's Shot reminds me of Valorous Stance and you can scry.

I really like this card, the artwork, the flavour and the abilities... If there was a way to ramp the leviathan, it would be great card. It functions like awoken horror, as long as you pay its energy cost.

Interesting, but nothing special. I like the idea of flying whales, reminds me of dishonored, slightly. (I know they weren't flying, but still)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:43:52 am by Mnemosyne »

Ujihiro

« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2016, 02:31:25 am »

I really like this card, the artwork, the flavour and the abilities... If there was a way to ramp the leviathan, it would be great card. It functions like awoken horror, as long as you pay its energy cost.

Blue/Green Eldritch Evolution deck ( <-- supah jank!!) *nods*  :D   

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2016, 03:50:06 am »
A few if you have this card or have that card and then this happens. Won't be good in draft at all. The leviathan is cool but won't see much play for a 7 drop. Even in draft and sealed the card is risky. Still not even close enough for artifact removal and not much for creature either. I'm sort of glad that removal isn't shown much because even with whats dropping when this set comes out. There still will be to much of it for constructed.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2016, 06:06:04 am »
I'd imagine the cards that reference having specific Planeswalkers will be exclusive to the Planeswalker decks.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 06:08:26 am by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2016, 04:59:47 pm »
Spoilers for today:

Metalwork Colossus is another big ole beater that's casting cost can be reduced in this case by CMC of non-creature artifacts.  I would expect this to typically be casted for between 6-8.  No form of evasion makes this guy a little less desirable as he can be chumped blocked for days but his Power can't be ignored.

Perpetual Timepiece first ability works for a few builds already established in Standard namely GB Delirium and UB Zombies.   The second one is interesting to say the least.

Prophetic Prism is a mana fixer for cheap that cantrips (draws a card) at common.  Not the best way to fix your mana but when you need a color this will make it for you.

Torch Gauntlet is just typical equipment.  Nothing exciting.

Experimental Aviator is kind of expensive for his effect and he has no power to help Crew anything.  He can block though ;)

Brazen Scourge a hasted 3/3 for 3cmc is nice.  The double red requirement will slow him down a bit accept in the inevitable RDW.

Demolish has been seen in a few recent sets and is a reprint.

Now for the Non-English Spoilers:

Creative Spark   R   Sorcery   Choose target creature.  Exile the top card of your library. You may have Creative Spark deal damage to that creature equal to the converted mana cost of the exiled card. If you don't, you may play that card until end of turn.

This is an interesting card.  Kill a creature or get card advantage.  Works well with Saheeli Rai +1 and any scry effect.

Disappearing Trick   1UU   Instant   As an additional cost to cast Disappearing Trick, return a permanent you control to its owners hand.   Counter Target Spell

So a 3cmc counter spell that requires UU and bouncing a creature.  If there were not so many great ETB effects this card would be terrible but as it is this can be very beneficial inside the right deck.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2016, 05:05:57 pm »
From what I have heard in dark alleys and internet forums *ahem* Tezzeret Planeswalker will be in Aether Revolt. And, it is hinted that Nico Bolas is somewhat involved, hence the symbol for aether revolt looking 'like' Nico Bolas's horned face... Much like Eldritch Moon featured a symbol that hinted Emrakul, The Promised End.

Thanks for the info on Tezzeret and Nicol Bolas.  I had to google the symbol just to see what you were talking about and Yeah I can see exactly what you mean.

The outer curves definitely resemble Nicol's horns and are a dead give away... Can't imagine what else it could be.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2016, 12:27:08 am »
Some new Spoilers:

Nothing to exciting in this chunk of spoilers but I will talk about a few of them in Limited context:

Refurbish is gonna be Zombify for this set.  4 mana to return any artifact from your graveyard to the battlefield.  Expect this to target Gearhulks, Metalwork Colossus, Skysovereign, ect.

Foundry Inspector has a nice effect for 3cmc.  Reducing the cost of all artifacts spells by 1.  This guy will pay for his mana investment within 2 or 3 turns but expect this to be removed.  I know I will probably remove this ASAP.

Chief of the Foundry will be nice in a fabricate deck buffing all those servo tokens and with the amount of Artifact creatures useful in almost any deck.

Aviary Mechanic is a stand out common.  A 2/2 for 2cmc is already ok for limited but this card lets you get a second ETB effect out of something nice like any of the Gearhulks or simply more tokens.  If I'm in white and have 4 or 5 strong ETB effects I am running this guy and even without them he is still a 2/2 for 2.

Now the 2 rares:

Captured by the Consulate feels like Pariah, Pacifism, and Redirect had a party weekend and this showed up 9 months later ;)  Stop a creature from attacking you and redirect spells your opponents cast to target that creature.  It is a little slow at 4cmc but stopping a threat and stopping the first kill spell your opponent has is fairly powerful.

Oviya Pashiri, Sage Lifecrafter is a nice green 1 drop.  Her first ability isn't that strong but has synergy with a lot of stuff in this set and her second ability, in a go wide strategy, will be a nice way to quickly go big. 

That puts us at 180/264  So we still have quite a few spoilers to see in the next week or so.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2016, 12:46:23 am »

Chief of the Foundry will be nice in a fabricate deck buffing all those servo tokens and with the amount of Artifact creatures useful in almost any deck.

I honestly expected to see this card make its return in Kaladesh, (I was hoping that Hangarback Walker would also), but we will have to wait and see about that. Chief of the Foundry was, going to rotate out of Standard, as it is in Origins atm. It was heavily played when M15 was in Standard due to the synergy of Hangarback Walker, Ensoul Artifact, Darksteel Citadel, Thopter Engineer etc. I think this will appear in a lot of Standard Artefact decks. You are right, its ability cannot be overlooked with servo and thopter generation. 

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2016, 12:56:20 am »

I mean if there weren't so many cards that could return a creature you control you their owner's hand, or exile target creature and return it to the battlefield under its casters control, it would be good. Especially if that creature were indestructible. Imagine putting it on Ulamog, Murder wouldn't work, because it will always be re-directed to Ulamog, and since it's indestructible, it would never die!

Creatures like Emrakul, The Promised End, I assume that if you enchanted it and an opponent cast an instant, targeting your creature, that instant could not be re-directed to Emrakul, because it has protection from instant spells, correct?

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2016, 01:17:18 am »

I honestly expected to see this card make its return in Kaladesh, (I was hoping that Hangarback Walker would also), but we will have to wait and see about that. Chief of the Foundry was, going to rotate out of Standard, as it is in Origins atm. It was heavily played when M15 was in Standard due to the synergy of Hangarback Walker, Ensoul Artifact, Darksteel Citadel, Thopter Engineer etc. I think this will appear in a lot of Standard Artefact decks. You are right, its ability cannot be overlooked with servo and thopter generation.

I was wondering myself if they were going to bring back any of the Origins Kaladesh inspired cards.  Thopter Engineer and Chief of the Foundry were the 2 I was most curious about :)  I forgot to mention his synergy with Vehicles since when you Crew them they become an Artifact Creature until end of turn and to a lesser extent he is at 3cmc so he fits the Emerge curve.  I also think we will be seeing a lot of him around.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2016, 01:33:58 am »
Jabilac, I knew a horribly good pro-player that used to play Shrapnel Blast on HangarBack walker in combination with Chief of the Foundry... He also used to use Ensoul Artifact on Darksteel Citadel and swing with it on turn (2)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2016, 07:07:05 am »
Spoiler time:

I like Insidious Will, it is a little too expensive for a counter spell. However, that being said, being about to copy a spell and choose new targets for it is awesome.

I really think energy is viable with a card like Era of Innovation! It is Low-cost at (2 mana) with a great card draw potential.
https://deckstats.net/decks/51869/567724-temur-turbine (Something with the Energy mechanic I threw together.)

Finally Marionette Master. If its mana cost was lower, it could be lethal in a sacrificial artefact deck. I doubt this will be played in Standard, but it has great synergy with Panharmonicon and flicker spells.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 08:05:40 am by Mnemosyne »

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2016, 05:34:00 pm »
Spoiler time:

I like Insidious Will, it is a little too expensive for a counter spell. However, that being said, being about to copy a spell and choose new targets for it is awesome.

I really think energy is viable with a card like Era of Innovation! It is Low-cost at (2 mana) with a great card draw potential.
https://deckstats.net/decks/51869/567724-temur-turbine (Something with the Energy mechanic I threw together.)

Finally Marionette Master. If its mana cost was lower, it could be lethal in a sacrificial artefact deck. I doubt this will be played in Standard, but it has great synergy with Panharmonicon and flicker spells.

I like Era of Innovation quite a bit myself.  It falls right into that sweet spot of CMC, Effect, Effort.  At 2cmc it is cheap enough to not worry about casting it, The draw effect is a great payoff for gathering E, and the effort to make it work is almost nil.  This is one of the E cards we were waiting for :)

I like your deck synergies quite a bit.  Voltaic Brawler and Bristling Hydra are already 2 of the best E creatures we have seen so far.  I am not seeing Woodweaver's Puzzleknot which surprises me.  I originally said Glassblower's Puzzleknot was my favorite of the Puzzleknots (Era of Innovation makes it that much better) but I think Woodweaver's Puzzleknot works extremely well with the E strategy.

Also I see you are hoping for an Infinite Combo :) Panharmonicon + 2 Decocotion Module + Whirler Virtuoso (among other combinations) = Infinite Thopters

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2016, 05:41:15 pm »
Got a few spoilers for today:

Fairgrounds Warden is a new Banisher Priest but as a better blocker.

Fumigate is our new Board Wipe and it gains you 1 life for each creature destroyed.  Neat :)

Syndicate Trafficker is interesting.  3/1 on a 2cmc creature usually just makes it a decent early game aggro creature then something you keep back and block with to trade up.  This guy has the ability to become bigger and indestructible at the cost of an artifact.  Clues would be the cheapest way to feed this guy.  I'm not sold on him yet.  1 toughness is holding him back.

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2016, 06:52:45 pm »
All this travel for work has kept me out of the loop on spoilers. Thanks for posting everything guys! Everyday Kaladesh looks like a more exciting set :)

The cards I'm most excited about are:

Kambal, Consul of Allocation: This can be an amazing sideboard card against burn or control matchups (like Jeskai or Esper). I may test a couple in my Mardu Sideboard.

Contraband Kingpin: This guy is just what Modern Thopter-Sword was looking for. Now, in addition to being able to find your combo faster (that deck is full of artifacts), it can also scry with each iteration of the combo (Thopter Foundry + Sword of the Meek for those unfamiliar). The big butt and lifelink are just icing on the cake, as the deck traditionaly lacked ways of defending itself pre-combo. I think Modern needs more control / psuedo-combo decks, so I'm totally on board with cards like this that make those decks better.

Scrapheap Scavenger: Dredge gets another new toy... maybe... That deck is already a the critical mass of returnable stuff, and in general Dredge doesn't like to pay for it's spells.  This could be at most a 1 or 2 of, and reanimated by exiling no longer needed dredge creatures.  I'm just happy it dies to Anger of the Gods.

Dovin Baan: Quite the heated debate going on about this plainwalker. Seems like the major downside people brought up was the low loyalty and prevalence of fliers in standard. Personally, I love the -1 ability, to the point where I'd just use it every turn I could, even if it kills him. If he started with more than 3 loyalty, the -1 would probably have to be a -2, so I understand the balance WOTC had to make. As for the downside of leaving himself open to fliers... at least he's in the two colors with the most fliers in Standard. Seems like a nice top end to a Spirits deck to me. Great way to refuel your hand and get a little extra life, and all your flying flash spirits should be able to keep him safe.

Cathartic Reunion: I actually like this a lot. It provides the same amount of card advantage as Tormenting Voice for the same price, but it has the potential for double Madness, which makes this way more powerful. Tormenting Voice was at best a 3 drop, Draw 2 cards +lightning Bolt.  This new on could be 4 drop Draw 3 cards +Double Lightning Bolt. Now I know that won't happen often, but with something like Falkenwrath Gorger, this card just spews out vampires and refills your hand at the same time. I'm interested in seeing if this makes Vamps explosive enough to be competitive.

Masterpieces: I read on ChannelFireball somewhere that they'll be just like the Zendikar Expeditions (usable in limited if you pull one, but not allowed in standard otherwise). They'll also be exclusively foil and should occur in 1 of 144 packs. Fingers crossed, but like a lot of you guys, I never pulled an expedition in Zendikar block, so my hopes aren't high.

Lets hope spoilers finish strong. been great so far!
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.