deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Best haste cards vs infect  (Read 730 times)

SiraenLor

• Decks
Best haste cards vs infect
« on: October 20, 2016, 06:43:14 pm »
Hello everyone!

I have a control burn deck that I'm trying to beat an infect pump deck with (I have to update the infect one, since my opponent just added four Rancor cards to it  :-X). I'm trying to haste my creatures or otherwise make them quicker. Waiting till turn 4 or later until I can do significant damage has been devastating when fighting Giant Growth, Rancor and the like. What can I use?

Here's my deck: https://deckstats.net/decks/75329/591784-burn-the-deadwood/en

Here's my opponent's. He changed it a bit and got it down to 60 (I will update as soon as I can), but the strategy can still be seen: https://deckstats.net/decks/75329/591796-golgari-disease/en

Bigfourbe69

• Decks
Re: Best haste cards vs infect
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 06:52:08 pm »
Hi !

When you play red, against Infect, 2 things always kept in mind :
- never play a removal during it's first main phase, cause he certainly could pump in response ;
- except for the best card against Infect, which is red... Sudden shock !

Sudden shock is also good against certain decks like Affinity (Ravager) etc.

Ciao

SiraenLor

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 07:13:27 pm »
Although normally I would agree, I find that damaging his creatures during my first main phase (or right before he declares blockers) prevents my opponent from using those pumps during his combat phase. Not only that, but if he pumps his creatures to save them before the combat phase, my idea is to use Act of Treason or Traitorous Instinct to use his power against him, which is my main strategy (the other being Kiln Fiend pumping).

Sudden Shock is definitely effective, though

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 01:28:17 am »
Although normally I would agree, I find that damaging his creatures during my first main phase (or right before he declares blockers) prevents my opponent from using those pumps during his combat phase. Not only that, but if he pumps his creatures to save them before the combat phase, my idea is to use Act of Treason or Traitorous Instinct to use his power against him, which is my main strategy (the other being Kiln Fiend pumping).

Sudden Shock is definitely effective, though

Act of Treason or Traitorous Instinct are sorceries and can only be used on your turn, so you wouldn't be able to steal his creatures on his turn.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

SiraenLor

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 03:53:08 pm »
Right, using an instant to damage his creature, wait for him to pump, then use sorcery. It was a response to Bigfourbe69's recommendation to not use removals on my first main phase. Under these circumstances, if I do damage to his creature, and he uses Giant Growth to save the creature, I can take possession for extra damage. If I have Kiln Fiend out as well, then the two spells stack on Kiln Fiend for at least four infect damage and at least seven regular damage for each Kiln Fiend I have out on the battlefield.

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 06:30:20 pm »
Though the mana cost is a bit high, Inner Struggle should be able to shut down any creature they play / pump. You could play a couple copies in the sideboard. Since you were also asking about fast creature, Monastery Swiftspear is an all star in red aggro decks with a lot of spells (like yours). It can also act as a nice blocker when they go all in on their big infect creature.

If you were splashing white, then you could run Deflecting Palm, which is arguably the best tool against infect. Let them pump all they like, then when they swing for 10 infect, just point it back at them. a white splash also gives you access to Boros Charm and Lightning Helix, so it's at least something to think about.

Hop you found this helpful. :)
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

SiraenLor

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 08:53:07 pm »