deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Revisiting Standard Rotation  (Read 438 times)

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
Revisiting Standard Rotation
« on: October 23, 2016, 03:59:59 pm »
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/revisiting-standard-rotation-2016-10-19

Since I don't play a lot of standard. I personally enjoyed the quicker rotation.

This is my opinion and adds up to a hill of beans but....
Taking some excerpts from the link...

But when the rotation began to take place twice a year, we started hearing from players that it was more difficult to keep up
Hogwash. Are people not that smart to know what is in Standard? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to look up with is within standard rotation or simply just ask someone who plays standard. Being ignorant isn't a reason to say it is difficult to keep up.

More difficult how? They can't netdeck? They can't be creative? They have no clue how to build a deck? Not enough time? Again pay attention and/or asking questions isn't really that hard to do.

Standard, especially, should be a welcoming format that allows players to play a variety of decks that promote fun, healthy gameplay Allows?? How is keeping promoting fun when people will netdeck and play against a bunch of Mirror decks? It will only be boring to face the same ol', same ol' time in and time out. If 1 deck constantly dominates at all, then everyone is going to be copying it and it will stick around for an entire year. How is that fun? How is it healthy game play when you go to Standard at your LGS only to see the same ol' same ol' time in and time out?

What really happened? Since standard was rotating 2 times a year, single card prices weren't going up and staying in the roof for very long. Your single card price was taking a major hit because cards were rotating out of standard quickly. People couldn't keep up because they can't netdeck as fast and once they get that certain deck or make a minor change to it. Some of the cards in that deck would rotate quickly out of it. In essence people didn't like change, they can't or won't adapt, accept and adjust to change.

My 2 cents once again and don't mean a hill of beans....

anybody else have thoughts or opinions??
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

ladof

• Decks
Re: Revisiting Standard Rotation
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 05:04:39 pm »
I feel like WotC had someone who said they had a great idea to make more money without really changing all that much, so they changed the rotation.

Then they realized players hated it because their cards aren't good as long, so they need to buy more cards and don't want to keep up with standard (this is me, honestly. I had done well keeping up, but stopped when the format changed.)

Personally, I think this won't entirely fixed the mess they made (I won't go back into standard as hard as I used to. I've gotten used to modern.)
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Revisiting Standard Rotation
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 10:18:16 pm »
I had already gotten out of Standard before it happened because I just didn't have time to play the way I like to when I was playing Standard (building/tweaking multiple decks each week to be as competitive as possible) but I didn't like the change when it happened. It was honestly just another reason for me to not go back to Standard. Even with them fixing it to the degree they have I don't have any interest in getting back into it.

I'm happy sticking to Modern & EDH.
This space for rent.