deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Game Day, again!  (Read 791 times)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
Game Day, again!
« on: October 24, 2016, 09:22:08 pm »
How did everyone do last weekend? Did anyone win their tournament? Or, perhaps you came in the top 8?

Let the community know!
Doesn't matter if you lost, its all a learning experience and adapting to the new meta can be challenging.
If you didn't manage to do well, then perhaps we can help?

The more I write this the more it sounds like an advert for an alcoholics anonymous meeting...
Anyway, I came in the top eight! 5th out of 12 people using a B/G delirium control deck.

Round 1 = 0:1:1 Against the one who eventually came 1st. They were playing a budget Boros Equipment deck.
Round 2 = 2:0 Against a friend who played an Orzhov control deck with 4*4 planeswalkers, I was pretty lucky.
Round 3 = 0:2 Against another friend who was playing an Aggro Azorius deck, couldn't handle the sheer speed and flashed spell quellers.
Round 4 = 2:0 Against someone with a U/G Part the Waterveil, and Crush of Tentacles deck. (Exiled his win conditions)

Not enough, unfortunately for the top 4.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:25:32 pm by Mnemosyne »

BigFatChump

• Decks
Re: Game Day, again!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 11:24:05 pm »
This my deck I used for game day. https://deckstats.net/decks/67576/587213-zombie-madness/en
I enjoyed playing my deck and seeing in faired against other people. It didn't turn out the way I wanted but now I just work on my deck to make it better for my local meta.

Round 1. I played against grixis control. I went 0-2.
Round 2. I played against white blue flash. I went 0-2.
Round 3. I played against black red aggro. I went 0-2.
Round 4. I played against this weird esper deck. It was basically white blue flash with a splash of black. I went 0-2.

Mishra

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 01:17:58 pm »
I used my BR Aggro on Gameday: BR(ogue Kick) Aggro

And I consider myself a pretty bad player.
Our LGS only had 8 participants, so everyone made Top 8

Round 1: won 2-0 against a blue white random pile
Round 2: lost 1-2 against a controllish Planeswalkers packed deck. However this was pretty close and I could have won that if I just played better
Round 3: lost 1-2 against a Pummeler deck. made the biggest mistake of the whole day in game three here. Forgot my Scrounger laying in the graveyard for 4 rounds....could have won if I did not forget it. btw did I mention I play bad?

Quarterfinals: was paired against the very same player I faced in round 3. Lost 0-2 here. This time I somehow blame my bad luck on the draws too not only my bad playstyle.

However I liked the event and it was a lot of fun. Mistakes are there to learn from so next time the mat is mine LOL

Ferics

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 03:08:30 pm »
Everbody made the Top 8, we were also only 8 participants.
I managed to win every game and this tournament with a BG Delirium Rock deck (https://deckstats.net/decks/31336/564847-gb-delirium-kaladesh-/en).

Round 1 : Won 2-0 against R/W Vehicles. Excellent match-up here. No difficulties

Round 2 : Won 1-0 against 5c Panharmonicon that abused Gearhulks. Very tough game with a lot of reversals ! Gnarlwood Dryads helped me resist until I found Emrakul. Controlling my opponent's turn, I played his Noxious Gearhulk to wipe his board. But there was a second one in hand, that was waiting to kill Emrakul. My opponent had a 51 life total at this time. And I got liliana in hand to immediatly get Emrakul back. The second Emrakul cast was devastating : with 3 panharmonicon in the battlefield, I made my opponent play 3 Prophetic Prism that drew 12 cards. At the end of his turn, I discarded all his threats and left his hand full with 6 or 7 insignificant lands ! Emrakul and a growing board on my side were finally enough to secure the win. (opponent finished 3rd place)

Round 3 : Won 2-0 against Sultai Emerge (Elder-Deep, Mindbender, Boar). First game won thanks to Liliana's Ultimate. For game 2, I put a lot of hand disruption like Transgress the Mind but I didn't hit them early. I was very close to lose with only a Traverse in hand without delirium. Still, I managed to enable delirium and fetch a Noxious Gearhulk, to kill Elder-Deep, stabilize the board and regain life. After that, I had lucky draws with Kalitas and Ish-Kanah, while my opponent mostly drew lands... Lucky recovery to seal the first place. (opponent finshed 2nd)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 09:18:55 pm »
This my deck I used for game day. https://deckstats.net/decks/67576/587213-zombie-madness/en
I enjoyed playing my deck and seeing in faired against other people. It didn't turn out the way I wanted but now I just work on my deck to make it better for my local meta.

I had a peek at your deck, I like that it is somewhat unique amongst Grixis decks. Is there any help you wanted with it? I can see a few ways you could optimise the deck.
I'll post them here and see what you think.
You have a lot of discard triggers, but not a lot of madness. Are you going aggro or control? It looks a lot like aggro, with some elements of control.
It would probably be better if you focused on aggro. Keep most of the removal in your sideboard, like Fiery Temper and Lightning Axe.
You would get more value if you added Unlicensed Disintegration, maybe with Key to the City, discard makes a creature unblockable, then use a card with madness, next upkeep, un-tap pay (2 mana) draw a card.
I love that you have the emerge mechanic in here! But you need more creatures to make this effective. Relentless Dead?
From Under the Floorboards will really help this deck, especially since it works with Tormenting Voice, Cathartic Reunion and Cryptbreaker. It is also something that can be used to trigger Voldaren Pariah. In addition, perhaps go with Gisa's Bidding to get (2) zombies for the price of (3 mana) or Liliana, the Last Hope. (She's expensive, I know)

There is more I could suggest, but I think that is enough until you say otherwise.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 09:21:47 pm by Mnemosyne »

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 09:30:31 pm »
I used my BR Aggro on Gameday: BR(ogue Kick) Aggro
And I consider myself a pretty bad player.
Our LGS only had 8 participants, so everyone made Top 8
However I liked the event and it was a lot of fun. Mistakes are there to learn from so next time the mat is mine LOL.

Mishra! I think this deck is good! You need more confidence in your abilities, even though you might not see yourself as a great player, everyone is always learning, and you can't expect people to not make mistakes.
Unless they are androids, then I think that's pretty unfair.
What matters is that you identify what mistakes you've made, just learn from them.

Your deck depends a lot on winning quickly. After 6 turns you winning, will become less and less likely. Not because your deck isn't solid, but because you don't have the ability to fight off an Elder Deep-Fiend, or Metalwork Colossus.
Haste is the key, just try and find ways to increase your ability to win, in the least number of turns.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 09:40:30 pm by Mnemosyne »

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 09:38:37 pm »
I managed to win every game and this tournament with a BG Delirium Rock deck (https://deckstats.net/decks/31336/564847-gb-delirium-kaladesh-/en).

Congratz Feric! Winning is by no means a small feat. Your delirium deck seems solid. I like that your creatures are all randomised it makes using Lost Legacy or Pick the Brain tricky for a player since you aren't really relying on a win condition, despite having Liliana and Emrakul.

You can hit delirium pretty quickly, you have 7 types, so that's great.

This is my version, more control https://deckstats.net/decks/51869/546134-delirious-paranoia-g-b-/en

Mishra

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 11:01:23 am »
Mishra! I think this deck is good! You need more confidence in your abilities, even though you might not see yourself as a great player, everyone is always learning, and you can't expect people to not make mistakes.
Unless they are androids, then I think that's pretty unfair.
What matters is that you identify what mistakes you've made, just learn from them.

Your deck depends a lot on winning quickly. After 6 turns you winning, will become less and less likely. Not because your deck isn't solid, but because you don't have the ability to fight off an Elder Deep-Fiend, or Metalwork Colossus.
Haste is the key, just try and find ways to increase your ability to win, in the least number of turns.

Awesome feedback and tips there, mate. Thank you very much!

And ya you're right. The games I lost in a close fight all went past turn 6. The ones I clearly lost I missed the Looter Scooter.
Every time I was able to sideboard I boarded Trafficker's back in and the deck performed a lot better. Don't know what made me switch to Gorger maindeck last minute. Yes Gorger provides madness but Traffickers feel much, much more synergetic in this deck. (the list shows Gorger maindeck here to represent what I actually played on gameday)

I definitely learned some lessons. But it is all about the fun anyways for me. Therefore I am going to try my Dubious Challenge Deck next time I am able to attend a FNM.

Again thx a lot for your post.

Ferics

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 11:51:38 am »

Congratz Feric! Winning is by no means a small feat. Your delirium deck seems solid. I like that your creatures are all randomised it makes using Lost Legacy or Pick the Brain tricky for a player since you aren't really relying on a win condition, despite having Liliana and Emrakul.

You can hit delirium pretty quickly, you have 7 types, so that's great.

This is my version, more control https://deckstats.net/decks/51869/546134-delirious-paranoia-g-b-/en

Thank you ! I like to have different kind of threats, and Traverse makes it easy to find to adequate answer to any situation or killer.
At first, I tried a similar version with 3 Smuggler's Copter in the deck, but it didn't fit with this midrange deck at all, and I gradually removed them all. Still I kept Catacomb Sifter and Gnarlwood Dryad, that were excellent to pilot Copters. But they had other functions I wanted to keep : Dryad was a very good answer to metalwork colossus decks and can quickly press Control or Combo decks when you can hit delirium soon enough. Sifter gave scry that were really helpful and the scion is a plus to cast big creatures earlier.
In the current format, Filigree Familiar should be replaced with Pilgrim's Eye to hit the land and act as a blocker against flyers, but I love this cute fox so much. :)

I'm happy to see your Control version of delirium since it take courage to make one, now that Languish is gone. It looks like you had hard time against aggro deck. I think your deck is very well suited against Control and Combo with all the hand disruption spells but there's a lack of board control in your list.