deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Autor Tema: Favorite or Best MTG cards!  (Leído 4284 veces)

MTGWarrior

• Decks
Favorite or Best MTG cards!
« en: Octubre 27, 2016, 10:22:22 pm »
Hey there,
I was just wondering...
What are some of your favorite cards? What cards do you think are the best to have in your deck?
For me personally...I like cards that kill all the creatures in play. Since my creatures aren't very powerful and most of my friends creatures are; I kill them all. LOL! They hate it when I do that but sometimes I'm left with no choice. I don't usually win in MTG but I try to stay in the game as long as possible, and these cards help me to do that.  :)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
Re: Favorite or Best MTG cards!
« Respuesta #1 en: Octubre 28, 2016, 12:40:57 am »
haha, are you trying to find the ultimate card MTGWarrior?  ;)

It is not possible to depend on one card to win, although others might think differently.
It really depends on what deck and what format you're playing. I have favourite cards, but they might not be what most consider 'the best'.

I have a modern mono-white deck, and two of my favourites are in there. Baneslayer Angel and Avacyn, Angel of Hope. As you might have guessed I like angels.  They are both very powerful, they can win you the game if used properly, but they can be removed, like most cards.

My current standard G/B Delirium deck uses Emrakul, the Promised End, which is powerful but can be easily removed with cheap removal like Clipped Wings, Blighted Fen, Oath of Liliana, Noxious Gearhulk, etc

Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Blightsteel Colossus, Phyrexian Obliterator, Snapcaster Mage, Stoneforge Mystic, Dark Confidant, Tarmogoyf, Jace the Mind Sculptor and Liliana of the Veil are all cards that people fear because of their power. They come with a price to match though and some are rightly banned in specific formats!
« Última modificación: Octubre 28, 2016, 12:43:19 am por Mnemosyne »

keagster

• Decks
« Respuesta #2 en: Octubre 28, 2016, 01:11:12 am »
haha, are you trying to find the ultimate card MTGWarrior?  ;)

It is not possible to depend on one card to win, although others might think differently.
It really depends on what deck and what format you're playing. I have favourite cards, but they might not be what most consider 'the best'.

I have a modern mono-white deck, and two of my favourites are in there. Baneslayer Angel and Avacyn, Angel of Hope. As you might have guessed I like angels.  They are both very powerful, they can win you the game if used properly, but they can be removed, like most cards.

My current standard G/B Delirium deck uses Emrakul, the Promised End, which is powerful but can be easily removed with cheap removal like Clipped Wings, Blighted Fen, Oath of Liliana, Noxious Gearhulk, etc

Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Blightsteel Colossus, Phyrexian Obliterator, Snapcaster Mage, Stoneforge Mystic, Dark Confidant, Tarmogoyf, Jace the Mind Sculptor and Liliana of the Veil are all cards that people fear because of their power. They come with a price to match though and some are rightly banned in specific formats!
I think it also somewhat depends on the kind of deck you're playing.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Respuesta #3 en: Octubre 28, 2016, 01:15:54 am »

keagster

• Decks
« Respuesta #4 en: Octubre 28, 2016, 01:17:15 am »
Didn't see that, lol

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Respuesta #5 en: Octubre 28, 2016, 02:07:45 am »

Brandon Hex

• Decks
« Respuesta #6 en: Octubre 28, 2016, 02:50:28 am »

Doranon

• I tend to stay away from meta decks.
  • Decks
« Respuesta #7 en: Octubre 28, 2016, 04:08:05 am »
I'm a Standard player. And Omnath, Locus of Rage is so satisfying when it gets going. Gisa and Geralf was easily my favorite in the EDM prerelease, I pulled it as my promo (got Tamiyo, Field Researcher too but didn't use her due to my green and white being less than ideal) and made the craziest U/B Zambies deck. Also Dragonmaster Outcast is awesome to drop on turn 1, your opponent will instantly start getting scared, will pretty much be forced to use a removal spell, or die to the steady storm of 5/5 fliers that hit the field come turn 6 or 7.
« Última modificación: Octubre 28, 2016, 05:16:47 pm por Doranon »

Orokem

• Decks
« Respuesta #8 en: Octubre 28, 2016, 04:21:23 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong MTGWarrior, but I don't believe he was asking for "one card to win". Also, just because it isn't viable to build a deck around a single card, it's sure fun as hell.

As for my favourite cards, here they are.

Triskaidekaphobia:
I'm a big fan of win conditions that are weird by nature, and this is one of those win conditions. I can't recall just how many times I've killed myself with this card on accident, but you can't even be mad. It's just an all around hilarious card.

Tree of Perdition:
One of my favourites since it came out, because I realized immediately what this was meant to combo with. Obviously the Phobia-Tree combo is great, but in my current standard deck I use this card for not only that combo, but also a combo with Soul Separator to set their health to 1 before I burn them with Collective Brutality. Plus, it's got a massive butt. Your opponents will have fun breaking through this defender without a kill spell.

Demonic Pact:
I wanted to make this card work so badly for so long. I tried it first in a Dimir deck with a bunch of bounce spells to bring it back to my hand before it killed me, while I slowly burn them with it, and eventually Crush of Tentacles. It also went pretty well in my Starfield of Nyx deck, since you could use it for resources and as a creature, then you can use its first ability to kill itself before it kills you and Starfield of Nyx can bring it right back.

Harmless Offering:
First of all, it's adorable. Second of all, this is the card that made Demonic Pact viable. Mnemosyne over there will tell you that you can't rely on one card to win, but this 2 card combo made it into top 8 of a Grand Prix. I don't really need to argue this adorable little guy any further.

Assault Formation:
Ah yes, my very first semi-competitive deck. Why wouldn't you want to have a bunch of big butts in play and suddenly have them turn into massive offensive creatures too? The best part about using this card was the look on my friend's face when I played Shape the Sands to kill his Archangel Avacyn. I believe his words were "Huh??? That's a card that exists? WHO PLAYS THIS SHIT?!". Good times...

Sigiled Starfish:
I don't have a very good explanation for this one. I used it in one of my first decks and I just fell in love with the little guy. I've tried to jam him into almost every blue deck I've ever made. Now I've started this beautiful trainwreck

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Respuesta #9 en: Octubre 28, 2016, 05:10:26 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong MTGWarrior, but I don't believe he was asking for "one card to win". Also, just because it isn't viable to build a deck around a single card, it's sure fun as hell.

Well firstly that's directed at me, Mnemosyne and not MTGWarrior.

Secondly, I have not implied that the subject of her question is to find a card that will win her the game. Just that I myself consider that there are no best cards because it is dependent on the type of deck, as well as the format. 
I have only stated that it is not possible to depend on a single card to win, a reason which is why I, myself cannot say that I have a 'best' card of my own.
The example you provided is an entirely separate reflective comment, that does not pertain exclusively to the subject of her question. (It is my general opinion based on what I have interpreted)
I have suggested that the meaning of your best card and your favourite are not considered the same. Cards that are best in your deck are ones that will help your deck to function and therefore win, which might be different from cards that are your favourites.

I am aware that MTGWarrior is curious to know what cards are included in a deck, that we as a community, consider as good. However, neither you nor I can adequately infer what it is the motivation behind this particular topic of conversation.

Your opinions are your own, and if you wish to make a deck based around a single card, then I will not criticise you for that choice.
However, do not think to interpose yourself in another person's comment, unless it is directed at you or it is glaringly incorrect. My comment is directed solely to MTGWarrior in an attempt to answer the question she provided. If she is not satisfied by my answer, then all she needs to do is ignore it.

If your intention was to correct me for the sake of proving some petty point, then I am afraid all you've done is irritate me.
« Última modificación: Octubre 28, 2016, 05:45:58 am por Mnemosyne »

Mishra

• Decks
« Respuesta #10 en: Octubre 28, 2016, 09:49:12 am »
I will not comment on "best MTG cards" but on favorite.

In fact there are three cards I call my alltime favorites.

Library of Alexandria: I once owned one but sold it with everything else when I quit Magic a couple years ago. Got this as a gift when I finished my A-levels

Tolarian Academy: Obviously the most broken land ever printed and I loved artifact decks back then. No wonder I ran a playset...

Skullclamp: What a nice little artifact. I squeezed it into every (casual) deck I built during the "old times". It's just ridiculous what this card does for it`s low cost.

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Respuesta #11 en: Octubre 28, 2016, 03:47:46 pm »
Hi all,

I'll also limit my answer to my favorite cards, and I think MTGWarrior and I are on the same wavelength, because my favorite card in all of magic is Goblin Sharpshooter. He's a little guy that seems very unimposing, but once he hits the field, he completely takes over games. Your opponents can't stick anything with 1 toughness, you can ping your opponent for 1 whenever anything dies (which tends to happen a lot with goblins), and in multiple they get out of hand.

As for a more recent card, I love Nahiri, The Harbinger (hence the profile pic. She's just so versatile and is a threat that must be answered. Filtering your deck, exiling pesky threats, and dumping your biggest, baddest creature onto the field.

There will also always be a soft spot in my heart for Bitterblossom. The first Modern deck i went 5-0 with was Faeries, and Bitterblossom is 100% the reason the deck worked. It's such fun card that so many decks simply can't beat if it lands on turn 2 (especially when backed up by Spellstutter Sprite and Scion of Oona)
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

ladof

• Decks
« Respuesta #12 en: Octubre 28, 2016, 06:13:42 pm »
My favorite is still Ajani, Mentor of Heroes. Double roll up and, while not overly imposing, the ultimate can swing a game.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Respuesta #13 en: Octubre 28, 2016, 06:23:40 pm »
My favorite is still Ajani, Mentor of Heroes. Double roll up and, while not overly imposing, the ultimate can swing a game.

I think I've found a new favourite too! 100 life! Yum! The second ability is like oath of nissa, and that's still useful for helping you anticipate, the next few cards without scry or milling yourself. And the first protects Ajani, especially if you've got some token  generation going on! He'd be cool in a bant deck. Thanks for posting this ladof! Lots of ideas.

crimsonking

• Decks
« Respuesta #14 en: Octubre 29, 2016, 02:16:07 am »
  • In T1 (Vintage): Demonic Tutor
    No relevant comments here.
  • In T1.5 (Legacy): Pox
    One of the most EVIL cards in the whole Magic history. No black card is more black that this one. The first competitive deck I've ever built too...
    You understand, black is my favourite colour in Magic.  ;)
  • In EDH (Commander): Coffin Queen
    She reanimates, she steals creatures, she exiles from graveyard, the Powers That Be even decided she's a Zombie AND a Wizards, two of the most relevant races I play with...
    Auto-inclusion in all my decks with black. And for decks without black... I don't build many...  8)
  • Overall: Dark Ritual
    Maaa... 'Ndo vaaai... Se il Rito Oscuro non ce l'haaai!
    Essentially the black card that makes all the other black cards work.
    Want to build a black deck? Put 4 Dark Ritual first, then think about the rest. It's THAT basic.
« Última modificación: Octubre 29, 2016, 02:22:16 am por crimsonking »