deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Legacy] Proto-deck  (Read 738 times)

stabbityrabbit

• Decks
[Legacy] Proto-deck
« on: October 29, 2016, 06:43:32 pm »
Proto-deck

Pretty simple, draw cards, play burn spells, and run out little creatures. The most complex it gets is using Call To Heel on Aethertorch Renegade to draw cards and build up energy tokens.

This is my first deck, so any pointers are appreciated.

mdehl

• Decks
Re: Proto-deck - Comments
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 06:49:48 pm »
I would remove allied strategies for two reasons:
1: It would make the deck a modern deck
2: You can only draw two cards with it. a card like divination would do it cheaper

iqs

• Decks
Re: Proto-deck - Comments
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 08:26:53 pm »
Would still not make it modern legal, because of Ponder. But yeah, Allied Strategies is just not good in this build. Also why include Aethertorch Renegade at all with this little energy? You could be playing something like Young Pyromancer instead. Oh and 4 Jori En are a bit overkill, they are legendary.

stabbityrabbit

• Decks
Re: [Legacy] Proto-deck
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 03:59:03 pm »
I'll remove Allied Strategies for Divination. The reason I had Aethertorch Renegade was because I liked the way it comboed with Call To Heel. If it's really that problematic I'll take it out. Jori En is legendary? I honestly didn't even see that.

What could I replace Ponder with to make it modern? I just wanted a bit of cheap card draw there.

iqs

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 07:34:20 pm »
You could run Vapor Snag for cheap bounce instead. And Serum Visions is the modern replacement for Ponder. Gitaxian Probe could be fine too.

stabbityrabbit

• Decks
Re: Proto-deck Take Two - Comments
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 08:06:39 pm »

stabbityrabbit

• Decks
Re: Proto-deck Take Two - Comments
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 08:07:16 pm »
Tried to make it modern legal. How is it looking now?

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 12:40:45 am »
Fireball is surely bad here.
Try cheaper spells, either to draw more cards or just burn out your opponent (or both!).

stabbityrabbit

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 12:31:21 am »
The way I read Fireball though, was that I could choose however many targets I wanted for it. Therefore I could instead just target the enemy player, and get some nice burst damage. Did I misread that?

Also I would like to try to make this deck modern legal, but I'm not sure how. What more changes do I need to make?

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 10:55:11 am »
I think the only non-modern card left is Arcane Denial, that you can swap for Negate, Mana Leak or even Spell Pierce.
You're correct about Fireball, but the spell is too mana intensive to fit in your deck.
You can maybe keep a couple of them as a finisher (surely not 4 of), but even then, there are better options such as Urza's Rage, Banefire etc.
Moreover, I will cut Izzet lands (they're too slow, there are better options even in Modern), Ball Lightning (not suited for a bicolor deck, better add more burn spells instead) and some spare one-of like Arcanis the Omnipotent, Acolith of the Inferno, Blistercoil Weird and Bident of Thassa.
The best creatures for your deck are Monastery Swiftspear and Delver of Secret, Young Pyromancer and Abbot of Keral Keep are pretty good too, Cursecatcher is not (at least not in this deck).
Another good spell could be Magma Jet.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:58:55 am by crimsonking »