deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Planeswalker question  (Read 594 times)

MTGWarrior

• Decks
Planeswalker question
« on: November 14, 2016, 12:16:37 am »
Hey all,
Is there a limit to how many planeswalker you can have in a deck? Is it no more than 4 like it is with creatures? Or can you have as many as you want? I'm not quite sure what the rule is on this.
Thanks

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
Re: Planeswalker question
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 12:46:11 am »
Hey all,
Is there a limit to how many planeswalker you can have in a deck? Is it no more than 4 like it is with creatures? Or can you have as many as you want? I'm not quite sure what the rule is on this.
Thanks

You may have 4 of the same planeswalker (i.e) Chandra, Torch of Defiance (x4)
There is not a limit I am aware of how many types of the same planeswalker you can have (i.e) you can have (x4) Chandra, Torch of Defiance and (x4) Chandra, Flamecaller in a deck. But you can have only 1 of that Planeswalker's name on the battlefield under your control at any one time.

So if you had Chandra, Torch of Defiance on the field already, you could not cast another Chandra of a different name, (Chandra, Flamecaller) without having to choose one, and sacrifice the other. (Planeswalker functions like the Legendary Parameter, only one can exist at any one time.)

Hope that helps.

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
Re: Planeswalker question
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 01:16:08 am »
To expand on Mnemosyne's excellent answer, it's not just creatures. With certain exceptions (below), you are only allowed four copies of any nonbasic land card in a deck. The 4 of rule only checks the actual name of the card. So I can have 4 Dragonlord atarka and 4 atarka, world render in my deck.

Also note that the Plainswalker rule differs slightly from the legendary rule. With a legendary, you cannot have more than one legendary permanent with the same name. So I can have a dragonlord atarka and an atarka, world render in the file at the same time because, although they are both Atarka, the cards have different names. Planeswalkers, on the other hand, you cannot have more than one of a certain planeswalker (Mem's example of Chandra)

The 4 card limit exceptions are if the format you're playing has different rules (Commander, singleton, etc.), and if the card, itself, allows you (Relentless Rats, Shadowborn Apostle)
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >