deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Legacy] Lands deck advices?  (Read 570 times)

interfector

• Decks
[Legacy] Lands deck advices?
« on: January 07, 2017, 01:10:11 pm »
I started playing for fun in legacy with friends (so full proxy eheh, no budget)

I made a deck based on lands (I discovered a famous deck like this "Lands").

Jund Land Pox

My question is: do you have some advice about cards to add/remove and an explanation about that?

My doubts:

1) Should I put Smallpox main board? (they are useful but sometimes not so useful) Perhaps in the slot of Raven's Crime (although RCrime is very good with land recursion for hand disruption)

2) Should I add another Crop Rotation removing the last Realms Uncharted (although it can fetch 4 lands with one spell, but with Crop I can do good play/trick like Glacial Chasm instant or Karakas)

3) Should I put Mox Diamond instead of Zuran Orb?

4) Should I put more copies of Dark Depths and Thespian's Stage for an alternative wincon aside from Molten Vortex (this is a YES, but i don't know what to remove)

5) Boom // Bust makes sense? (With Wasteland and fetches is good because I can sac in response). I could put Sinkhole? (instead of BoomB, because I have Impending Disaster as land wipe, but Sink also cost 2 black).

6) It is better Abrupt Decay (if I dredge it with Loam, it is useless) than 2x Ancient Grudge and 2x Ray of Revelation (that I can play from graveyard if I dredge them, and if opponent discard it)

Thank you very much, and sorry for the non-perfect English.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 01:11:55 pm by interfector »

crimsonking

• Decks
Re: [Legacy] Lands deck advices?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 08:09:58 pm »
Answers to your doubts:
1. Smallpox is a bit heavy for a tri-color deck. I would rather play it in a black-green deck, not here. Not even in sideboard.
Also, Raven's Crime is really slow for Legacy, it works only against control. I would suggest you to play only one copy in sideboard and only if you're playing with Burning Wish or Entomb.
2. You need more Crop Rotation in order to reliably put up Dark Depths + Thespian's Stage. Again, Realms Uncharted is too slow for Legacy.
3. Just put 4 Mox Diamond, it's a no-brainer here. A couple of Zuran Orb in sideboard are ok too.
4. I honestly never played Molten Vortex, although I used to play with Seismic Assault which should be better because, even if it's more difficult to cast, it doesn't require mana to activate. There is also Land's Edge which is slightly worse but slightly easier to cast.
No need to say nobody plays with those cards anymore. The cards of choice these days are Punishing Fire + Grove of the Burnwillows.
I personally like Flame Jab, which is worse than Molten Vortex but can be dredged with Life from the Loam, wished with Burning Wish or tutored with Entomb.
5. 4 Wasteland are ok in most cases. Boom // Bust and Impending Disaster aren't fit for Legacy, Sinkhole is far better but still not that relevant in my opinion.
I personally play Destructive Flow in sideboard, against the proper deck is devastating.
6. Abrupt Decay is stupid-broken, play 4 without even thinking, even if you can't dredge it is too good.
Ancient Grudge is a good sideboard card though.
I have myself a Jund deck with Life from the Loam, though it doesn't play Dark Depths + Thespian's Stage and is more an aggro deck.
Feel free to have a look at it: https://deckstats.net/decks/54477/385880-loam-flow
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:13:08 pm by crimsonking »

interfector

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 09:39:10 pm »
Thank you very much for the advices.

I played Smallpox because at first I build a deck focused on land denial.  But I understand that the format is too fast for that.  I am a newbie of Legacy so I don't know well the speed and the clock of the format and decks.

I play Legacy only for fun and with non competitive deck so I build the deck with this idea Ahah.

2. Probably I'll run 3x Crop Rotation for land shenanigans like Glacial Chasm Karakas or Dark Depths.

3. I use Zuran Orb with Glacial Chasm (and Life from the Loam)  for a soft lock.  I play Glacial Chasm,  the turn after I pay 2 life and play a land and at the end step of the opponent I say to gain 2, so I can stay at fixed life.

4. Molten Vortex was my main win condition.  I prefer over Seismic because I can play T1,  but I can try 3x Molten Vortex and 1x Seismic Assault.  Groove of the Burnwillos + Punishing Fire is good but is it weak for damaging opponent?

6. Probably I'll go 4x Abrupt Decay but perhaps I can add entomb  fetching some good card.

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 01:08:59 pm »
3. The only way I saw playing Glacial Chasm is with Exploration.
You play your normal land and then Glacial Chasm thanks to Exploration (so you keep your land count even), the next turn you sacrifice Glacial Chasm, get everything back with Life from the Loam and repeat the trick.
Remember that Glacial Chasm has cumulative upkeep, so the second turn you'll have to pay 4 life (not 2), 6 life on the third turn and so on.
4. You are right, Grove of the Burnwillow + Punishing Fire is good mainly against creatures since it kills almost everything is commonly played in Legacy.
Against the opponent is merely 1 damage per turn.
On the other side, Flame Jab is 3 damage per turn (provided that you have enough lands) and you need only Life from the Loam to start the loop: you'll eventually dredge Flame Jab at some point.
On the other hand, if you don't already have Molten Vortex in hand and you dredge with Life from the Loam, you'll risk to put it into the bin.

[EDIT]: I was thinking that you can use some creatures like Terravore and Countryside Crusher, or the new Centaur Vinecrasher, plus Volrath's Stronghold.
As Stronghold is a land, you can always recoup it with Life from the Loam and then get back your creatures.
I personally used to play 3 Terravore (didn't like Crusher because he didn't have any evasion) + 2 Eternal Witness to get back everything else from the graveyard.
People also played for a while with Genesis, which should be really too slow now.
Here's my old Aggro Loam decklist:
https://deckstats.net/decks/54477/385219-aggro-loam
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 01:55:45 pm by crimsonking »

interfector

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 02:27:27 pm »
3. Yes,  the alternative method is that,  so Exploration or Zuran Orb... 

4. I use Sensei to look from top for vortex and eventually draw it then everything is fine (if I have played Sensei).  I could add 1/2x Flame Jab.

If I have to play a creature I'll play Nether Spirit,  it doesn't have evasion but it recur itself with no cost... (combo well With entomb)