deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Amonkhet Spoilers  (Read 12878 times)

TZx

• Quotes are pointless
  • Decks
Re: Amonkhet Spoilers
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2017, 05:53:11 pm »
@Knabber

I agree, and TBH, Embalm sounds dumb, and wrong, and people already have to learn enough keywords from core sets, that standard has been ruined by odd keywords such as Revolt, and Improvise. :DD
Signatures are pointless

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2017, 06:08:06 pm »
I disagree about Embalm being dumb or not "feeling like mtg"... How doesn't it?  You are taking a creature that died and creating a Mummy out of it... If that isn't Magic what is?  Revolt is a great mechanic.  One of the better ones that has been created recently.  It works both in Standard, by not being overpowered, and works in Modern by being just powered enough.  Without new keywords, mechanics, and card types MTG would grow stale and boring.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2017, 06:21:01 pm »
The Invocations are cool and all but I think Wizards missed out on a chance to do a Masterpiece series on Mummified Planeswalkers.  Could have even made it story related.  Bolas is creating his own versions of each Planeswalker by stealing the sparks from his Trial Champions and putting them into his Mummy Walkers.  Woulda been awesome :)

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2017, 06:45:30 pm »
Vigilence would stop the attack from tapping it.  It would be available your next turn to exert again unless an opponent could tap it

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2017, 07:26:55 pm »
@Knabber

I agree, and TBH, Embalm sounds dumb, and wrong, and people already have to learn enough keywords from core sets, that standard has been ruined by odd keywords such as Revolt, and Improvise. :DD

You made my day with the moving happy face. As for the content of your comment... piling on keywords definitely doesn't make things easy. Especially when you consider the majority of playable modern cards don't have any of the fancy non-core set keywords on them, and just state what they do (Snapcaster Mage[sort of since it gives flashback], Primeval Titan, Goblin Guide, Tarmagoyf, Dark Confidant and so forth). There are exceptions in Fatal Push, Arcbound Ravager, and a few others, but for the most part, cards that just state what they do tend to have longer lasting impact on magic as a whole than fancy keywords from a single set.

THIS IS AWESOME!!
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2017, 08:55:02 pm »
Wizards said they lime a new keyword or two for each set. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but they're usually tuned to the set they're released in more than any other. That's why some cards get banned in modern so quickly (see Dig through Time and Treasure Cruise). Pretty much everyone knew fatal push was going to be pretty common in Modern as soon as they a saw it; it was a dirt cheap way to kill tarmogoyf consistently, along with all kinds of other cheap threats. I wish they'd spend a bit longer looking at how things will interact amongst other sets, particularly within its standard lifetime. It's silly that things like Emrakul and Smuggler's Copter got standard banned; WotC should have easily seen that these things would get out of hand.

Anyway, on the Masterpieces, they've said that they're going to keep doing them as another way for newer players to have a chance at good, old cards (right. I've not seen one yet, despite buying several boxes worth of cards. I'm glad they're rare, but don't try that line.) These new ones, however, are just ugly. I know the look they were going for, but it just missed badly.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

ladof

• Decks
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2017, 04:08:33 pm »
These two:

I like the cat snake, haha. I think it would be more potent in Modern than Standard, as I haven't seen many counter decks, around.
Renewed Faith is an onslaught reprint? Seems appropriate that many of the cards in this set might be re-imagining of older cards.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 04:10:14 pm by Mnemosyne »

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2017, 06:07:38 pm »
Yeah I was kinda surprised to see Prowling Serpopard.  Looks like a sideboard card for mono-green devotion for sure at least in my list :) Makes we wonder if we are going to get some more blue control options in Amonkhet.. Why drop a can't be countered creature unless you expect counters?

Renewed Faith is a decent life gain card.  Instant speed and Cycling really help make it better then life gain cards we've seen in the recent past.

We also got the new Dual Lands for this set.

Wish they were 1cmc Cycling but not too shabby.  Takes the sting out of a top decked land in the late game and fixes on earlier turns (though always tapped really hurts)

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2017, 10:39:28 pm »
I think the new cycle lands are going to have a surpizingly large impact in both Standard and Modern. Havinf a way to avoid flooding late game in srandard is huge, but modern has Life From The Loam and cards like Seismic Assault. Giving a jeskai or esper deck a way to orevent flooding in exchsnge for other cards is huge, not to mention synergy with Knight of the Reloquary. These are a control players dream and may give them the tools they need to be really competirive again
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2017, 11:51:23 pm »
Not to mention blowing up opponents' creatures with the demon they've already revealed...

Philippe Saner

• Decks
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2017, 01:07:07 am »
I was hoping for cycling lands, but I'm still surprised by how good they made these.

Basic land types and a generic cost to cycle...good stuff.

I really like the art on Irrigated Farmland, too.

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2017, 02:47:51 am »
Yeah I was kinda surprised to see Prowling Serpopard.  Looks like a sideboard card for mono-green devotion for sure at least in my list :) Makes we wonder if we are going to get some more blue control options in Amonkhet.. Why drop a can't be countered creature unless you expect counters?

Renewed Faith is a decent life gain card.  Instant speed and Cycling really help make it better then life gain cards we've seen in the recent past.

We also got the new Dual Lands for this set.

Wish they were 1cmc Cycling but not too shabby.  Takes the sting out of a top decked land in the late game and fixes on earlier turns (though always tapped really hurts)

This will be the first 'new set' to come out since I've started playing. I noticed that in Aether Revolt, cards were mana-cheaper and powerful, seeming to encourage aggressive play, hence that 'stupid' revolt mechanic that triggers when something you control dies. Mechanic fits set style. It may seem to simple to me with so little experience.

As far as Amonkhet set style, with that cat snake being a 4/3 with goodies costing 3, does anyone else feel that creatures will be quite powerful, moving away from quick little hits prevalent in Ather Revolt? What will 6 mana get you if you get uncounterable creature spells and a 4/3 for 3 mana?
https://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
https://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
https://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

Knabber

• Decks
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2017, 09:32:46 am »
I am really excited about those new lands. Okay, they're no tap- pain- or manlands, but cycling seems pretty useful. What really gets my attention is, that this new land cycle features double-basics. I am pretty sure we will see something like Wild Nacatl or Kird Ape in this set.

HowlingLotus

• Uncommon Members
  • Decks
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2017, 12:18:27 pm »
Love the art on those lands 8) .

Nothing I hate more than drawing land for 2-3 turns when I already have more lands on the field then I 'need'. The more and more they show the higher the hype level for me. Really curious to see what they did on other cards revolving around cycle in the set that we haven't seen. 
Mainly play Casual Multiplayer and EDH.