deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Casual] UG Trophy Pummeler  (Read 297 times)

Philippe Saner

• Decks
[Casual] UG Trophy Pummeler
« on: April 04, 2017, 08:25:30 am »
UG Trophy Pummeler

A midrange-combo deck built around efficient energy creatures, Electrostatic Pummeler, and Trophy Mage.

Some games you just play random dudes like Longtusk Cub, and Rogue Refiner, then attack until you win. Other games you play Electrostatic Pummeler and use either equipment or pump spells or both to kill in one hit. Other games you lean on the tutoring power of Trophy Mage, which is pretty significant in this deck - beyond the four Pummelers, this deck has six singleton CMC3 artifacts that are good in a wide variety of matchups and situations.

This list is pretty untuned. There are some choices I'm unsure of, and I'm a bit concerned by the spike at 3 in the mana curve. Feedback is definitely welcome.

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
Re: UG Trophy Pummeler - Comments
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 07:33:00 am »
I love that this is simic instead of gruul! When all you ever see is gruul after gruul after gruul, a fresh take on Pummeler is really refreshing, and by going simic, you solve one of the decks biggest problems! namely, there are only 4 copies of Pummeler. But thanks to Trophy mage, you effectively have 8! brilliant! I say, why not take a leaf out of Death Shadow Jund's book and double down on your most powerful card! By adding Traverse the Uvenwald, you could probably get away with 18 land (between Attune, Mystic, and Traverse you have plenty of sources), and Delirium shouldn't be hard to hit in this deck (especially with either fetchlands, evolving wilds, or the upcoming cycle lands!). Just a thought!

And if you're worried about all the 3 mana cards, you could consider Silent Arbiter over Crawlspace. It does what you want but even better, and blocks like a champ! And being 4 mana, it's one less card cramping the 3 mana slot XP
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Philippe Saner

• Decks
Re: [Casual] UG Trophy Pummeler
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 08:05:57 am »
Traverse is pretty tempting. Could potentially be awesome. Would take a bit of reworking and cost a bit of money, but it might be worth it...I'll think about it.

Problem with Silent Arbiter is that it's not a Trophy Mage target. The idea behind Crawlspace is that I can tutor it up when I face a swarm.

Then again, this deck should be pretty solid against swarms anyway. Unless we're talking infinite swarms, but I don't expect to face many of those.

Now that you've got me thinking about it, Crawlspace seems like a weak link. Maybe a third Blossoming Defense would be better. Or maybe it could go to make room for a Traverse.

Well, it's one of the more expensive cards in the deck so I think I'll just not get it. Another Blossoming Defense can fill its slot for now.

Philippe Saner

• Decks
Re: UG Trophy Pummeler - Comments
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 08:07:33 am »

Revision 2

Added/removed cards:
-1 Crawlspace

Changed amounts:
+1 Blossoming Defense