deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] Deck # 5: Kylie's Herbal Remedy Kit  (Read 368 times)

Chronologist

• Decks
[Modern] Deck # 5: Kylie's Herbal Remedy Kit
« on: April 05, 2017, 12:03:35 pm »
I would appreciate any advice in order to improve this deck. 

Deck # 5:  Kylie's Herbal Remedy Kit

Dr. Kylie Moriarty, British medical professional and mad Simic biomancer, has a new plan.  She's going to bring healing to the world by first turning the planeswalkers, and the lands that empower them, into artifacts.  Then she will destroy those artifacts. and let her regenerating Lumberknots consume all the wreckage. 

Her army is designed to either grant her land, destroy artifacts, or grow bigger if other creatures die.  She also uses Liquimetal Coating to turn anything she wishes into an artifact.  Then she uses her spells to destroy artifacts while giving her life, restore a slain creature to life while giving her life, and giving her the power to restore any card she pleases. 

AeroSigma

• Decks
Re: [Modern] Deck # 5: Kylie's Herbal Remedy Kit
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 08:27:50 pm »
Ha! Love the role-play that you're doing with the deck! I also like it that you've got a strategy an are going for the synergy to get there. However, the deck is quite un-balanced, and since you asked for advice i'll tell you that i honestly think it needs a lot of work. Start with reading the General Deck Advice sticky, your deck makes a lot of those mistakes. Here are some of my specific thoughs, in no paticular order;

You mana curve is not good. You have too many 4-drops, and not enough stuff to do early game. Llanowar elves instead of Elvish Pioneer might help with ramp, Gatekreeper Vines is Ok but not great, but ramp won't get you there alone anyway.

You can't be running only 22 lands when you're trying to get to a bunch of 4s and 5s. Even with ramp and/or a decent curve, you should have 24, or you'll just be missing too often in your opening hand.

Get this down to 61 cards. Every extra card is just one more draw until you get to your best stuff.

Your synergy play is not strong enough, and too clugy to get it to go off. Tapping a Liquimetal Coating so you can self-target Natural End so you can get a +1/+1 on Lumberknot is too many steps in general, and you still only get +1/+1. And that also requires you to have drawn one of you're only 2 copies of Lumberknot in the first place. For lumberknot to really go off, you need sac outlets. Add black and Viscera Seer, put in the implements that can at least sac themselves. Use ichor Wellspring that will at least give you a card when it goes. Better yet, add some low curve creatures that can sac themselves for value and avoid having to setup a clugy chain. If Lumberknot is going to be your win-con in this deck you need to find easier ways to get it to go off, and to get around chump-blocks (and you'll need 4)

At 2 mana, Naturalize is better than Natural End, and Oxidize is even better.

Elvish Scrapper has a place in this deck, it does both of what you want at the same time.

You have some sort of lifegain thing going on here, but it's not well-formed. Lifegain is not good like that. You either need go all in with things like Soul Warden and having _everything_ do it, so you gain so much you can't lose, or have cards like Ajani's Pridemate that can gain huge extra value from it. Ideally both, but then it's a lifegain deck, not the Herbal Remedy Kit, so you should probably just cut it. A little life gain here or there won't swing the game in your favor, so it's really not worth the extra mana: replace those cards with cheaper versions that don't have the gain.

There are some more thoughts in the back of my head, but these are the big ones.

I'll try to take another look once you make some of these updates, and don't forget to read through the General Deck Advice sticky and see what improvements you could make based on those.

Chronologist

• Decks
Re: Deck # 5: Kylie's Herbal Remedy Kit - Comments
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 02:02:13 pm »
Should I run a pair of Healer of the Pride at the expense of the Jeskai Barricade or the Cloudshifts?

Chronologist

• Decks
Re: Deck # 5: Kylie's Herbal Remedy Kit - Comments
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 02:04:12 pm »
And by the way, I thank you greatly for your advice, AeroSigma.  I strongly thought over black/green before I decided white/green is better, since I had so much populate stuff left over and I own virtually no black cards aside from the 13th House. 

AeroSigma

• Decks
Re: [Modern] Deck # 5: Kylie's Herbal Remedy Kit
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 06:40:28 pm »
Honestly, no, I think you should cut the lifegain all together to focus on your main strategy of artifact removal. naturalize instead of natural end is really where you'll want to be. Liquimetal coating on T3 and T3 with a Double naturalize on T4, is the dream, and you can't do that with a 3 mana card. you won't need the extra life, because they'll be on 2 land an won't be able to do anything to you anyway :p

Populate would be a very different way to go with this deck, you'll need a lot of cards working together for it, but could work well as your closer once you shut them out of mana.

Think about rebuilding with populate and liquimetal coating+artifact removal. Start with those 2 things and nothing else, and see if you can get a functioning deck out of it.  If you're constrained to cards you already have I realize it can be a bit tough, but think about buying some cheap cards to supplement. For $5 or less you should be able to get playsets of naturalize and some decent to good populate cards.

look forward to seeing the next iteration of your deck!