deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Need to Improve my Clue Based Deck  (Read 315 times)

famousmess

• Decks
Need to Improve my Clue Based Deck
« on: April 29, 2017, 10:47:46 pm »
https://deckstats.net/decks/58762/720175-clue-deck

Using clues in different ways to eventually create Ormendahl, Profane Prince. Needs tweaking. Esp regarding tri color. Major players include Ulvenwald Mysteries, Westvale Abbey, Tamiyo's Journal, Angelic Purge.

What i like about this deck and that I would like to keep is the constant influx and spending of clues to do cool things. sometimes that doesnt happen. sometimes its too many clues. so balancing that along with having it be the best deck it could be - is my main goal.

I'm also interested in how artifact type cards from the newer sets would benefit this deck . I haven't played those as much.

This is my first post! Thanks for any help, I just want to beat my friends more haha.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 06:30:29 am by famousmess »

Firegriff

• Decks
Re: Need to Improve my Clue Based Deck
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 11:05:20 pm »
Unfortunately, unless you can turn clues into creatures, they can transform Westvale Abbey.  That being said, clues can be used effectively with your Ulvenwald Mysteries to make the creatures for it.  Tezzeret, Master of Metal also works wonders with clues.

famousmess

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 11:11:38 pm »
Unfortunately, unless you can turn clues into creatures, they can transform Westvale Abbey.  That being said, clues can be used effectively with your Ulvenwald Mysteries to make the creatures for it.  Tezzeret, Master of Metal also works wonders with clues.

Yeah, that's why I use that card but it's slow and if the mana curve isn't right it's no good at all.

That planeswalker looks really great to blast the opponent with when my clues are clogged up. could be a game changer. i don't run many artifacts in this deck though besides Tamiyos journal and that artifact creature i was testing out becuase of Improvise. - Which if I spun my deck in that direction , I could use the build up of clues to basically cast creatures for free.

I'm not sure that I want to go that route per say, but if it I can still use my deck to flip westvale abbey than i'm interested.

Philippe Saner

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 02:18:42 am »
Battle at the Bridge doesn't belong in a deck which is so bad at producing black mana.

Beastcaller Savant doesn't belong in a deck with so many noncreatures to cast.

Evolving Wilds is good for colour fixing and Tireless Tracker triggers. Speaking of which, a fourth Tracker would be good. Card's amazing.

Angelic Purge is dubious. I'd prefer Banishing Light.

Ongoing Investigation might be worth a look. It's pretty good with Erdwal Illuminator.

Three Tamiyo's Journal seems like a bit much, given how bad it is in multiples.

famousmess

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 03:50:07 am »
Battle at the Bridge doesn't belong in a deck which is so bad at producing black mana.

Beastcaller Savant doesn't belong in a deck with so many noncreatures to cast.

Evolving Wilds is good for colour fixing and Tireless Tracker triggers. Speaking of which, a fourth Tracker would be good. Card's amazing.

Angelic Purge is dubious. I'd prefer Banishing Light.

Ongoing Investigation might be worth a look. It's pretty good with Erdwal Illuminator.

Three Tamiyo's Journal seems like a bit much, given how bad it is in multiples.

thank you for your advice!

i'll try some of these out (ill have to go buy some cards for others)  - i'll try out 2 tamiyos and slip in ongoing investigation and tireless tracker - i have a fourth.

and you're right about battle at the bridge and beastcaller.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 04:35:42 am »
Mechanized Production is another route you can go (8 or more of the same artifact is auto-win).  Had an idea you might like to try with it.  An enchanted Perpetual Timepiece would produce freely exiled copies to keep your cards out of your graveyard and in your library (otherwiseyou would exile the timepiece in the process), but would also let you cycle quickly through your deck.  Padeem, Consul of Innovation would protect your artifacts
artifacts, including clues, from opponent's spells on the most part.  Barricade BreakerFoundry AssemblerHerald of AnguishMetallic RebukeSly RequisitionerConfirm SuspicionsFleeting MemoriesMagnifying GlassWeirding Wood is great For color fixing or just triggering off a clue to get what you need.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 07:58:15 am »
 I have some recommendations for you in this deck, Bloodbriar, Byway courier, contingency plan, drownyard explorers, essence flux, expose evil, fleeting memories, jace's scrutiny, press for answers, primal druid, survive the night, trail of evidence, and woodcutter's grit.

Bloodbriar is the number one thing I believe you should have in your investigation deck. Reason being; it gets stronger whenever you SACRIFICE A PERMANENT (hint hint, clues are permanents). It'll be the best investment you make because it's a creature that will be able to hold its own in this deck. Also it fits so well in this deck because you wouldn't have to change a thing to your deck. Also it goes well with your tireless tracker. Now if you plan on having the profane prince be your deck focus then you're going to need the deck focus to shift from making artifacts to making more creatures to be sacrificed. what are your thoughts on this?

famousmess

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 08:17:01 am »
I have some recommendations for you in this deck, Bloodbriar, Byway courier, contingency plan, drownyard explorers, essence flux, expose evil, fleeting memories, jace's scrutiny, press for answers, primal druid, survive the night, trail of evidence, and woodcutter's grit.

Bloodbriar is the number one thing I believe you should have in your investigation deck. Reason being; it gets stronger whenever you SACRIFICE A PERMANENT (hint hint, clues are permanents). It'll be the best investment you make because it's a creature that will be able to hold its own in this deck. Also it fits so well in this deck because you wouldn't have to change a thing to your deck. Also it goes well with your tireless tracker. Now if you plan on having the profane prince be your deck focus then you're going to need the deck focus to shift from making artifacts to making more creatures to be sacrificed. what are your thoughts on this?

Thank you very much for your Insight. A lot of this looks good , what would be the point of some of the other cards you listed which would make them better then some of the cards I have in there now?

Bloodbriar will be amazing.

Also that making creatures vs making artifact point is interesting. I think the (loophole) I'm trying for in that regard is Ulvenwald Mysteries . Which I can translate into 1/1 tokens every time I sac a clue. stack that and combo with tamiyos journal.

Is there a better way I can use Ulvenwald Mysteries ?

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 06:03:18 am »
Ok so here's my list of reasons behind my recommendations:

Byway courier - It will trigger the ulvenwald mysteries because it would die as a non-token creature. Also it will give you a clue token upon death. So really that's two clue tokens for the price of one creature. Also with primal druid he can activate your ulvenwald mysteries and give you a land of your choice. So in a Tri-Color deck that is very helpful.

Contingency plan - is just amazing because you don't have to send cards to the graveyard if you don't want to. You get to look at the top 5 cards of your deck and re-arrange them any way you want for 2 MANA!!!

Drownyard explorers - when it enters you automatically get a clue token. If you bounce it with essence flux then you get another clue token. Also it has a pretty nice body for a 4 drop so it's a solid creature.

expose evil - taps creatures for your combat swings, taps creatures so your opponent's biggest creatures DO NOT swing, and you get a clue token. Same thing for press for answers.

Fleeting memories - you are going to be sacrificing clue tokens anyway in this deck. Why not get some added value out of that by stealing your opponent's resources? Sac like 5 clues in one turn and that's 15 cards right off of their deck. Can you say Value?

Jace's scrutiny - (-4/-0) a creature, save yourself from some damage, get a clue.

Survive the night - Make your bloodbriar indestructible and get a clue. Also woodcutter's grit is great because you get a power boost AND hexproof.

And Trail of evidence - All the instant and sorcery spells I just named will only add to the clue production. That will be a major benefit to you throughout the game.

Also a better way to use both ulvenwald mysteries and your westvale abbey: put westvale abbey in any deck that uses W/B so that you can use  Hanweir militia captain effectively. He himself will make the tokens you need as long as you can keep him alive. Also if you add hamlet captain to this deck it will give a serious boost to all the human tokens you made while investigating. You could build up a small army in no time.