deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Jace's Mind Mill  (Read 396 times)

Twilight

• Decks
Jace's Mind Mill
« on: May 03, 2017, 06:28:25 am »
Jace's Mind Mill

Mill strategy.

Philippe Saner

• Decks
Re: Jace's Mind Mill
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 07:18:21 am »
General comments, applicable to all the decks you've posted lately:

-It's almost always best to play 60 cards. Cutting down to 60 will pay dividends in consistency.
-1-ofs usually aren't the best way to go. I don't know what kind of collection you're working with here, but if you can identify your key cards and play more of them, you'll do better.
-You're playing too many cards that don't really fit your plans. If a card doesn't contribute directly to your deck's central purpose, you should at least think about cutting it.

Specific comments on this deck:

-I don't think you have enough mill. Mill is the kind of theme that demands real commitment; it has to be your deck's central plan if you want it to be good. If you replace every card that attacks for damage with more mill, you'll have a much better chance of closing games out that way.
-I don't see what Galvanic Alchemist and Dramatic Reversal are doing for you here. You're not exactly drowning in tap abilities.
-Favorable Winds is a solid card in the right deck, but it's really not a mill deck card.

Twilight

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 07:36:22 am »
Thanks for the advice and I'm not discrediting it, but when I build any of the decks that I post there's a reason I usually only have one-offs in my decks: I normally play/build Yu-Gi-Oh decks. My collection is growing, and I do have copies of a lot of cards, but I build decks based on the combo strategies that building those decks are usually built around. Yes, I do try to stick to the card limit no matter the card game I'm playing, but that will work--for me at least--if I have a lot of 1-offs in my decks.

As for why I have Galvanic Alchemist and Dramatic Reversal there's simple reasoning behind it: since Galvanic Alchemist is a Soulbond creature, I pair her to Stern Mentor who is also a Soulbond creature. With their Soulbond abilities, I can mill a good chunk of my opponent's library when I have enough land out; Dramatic Reversal is there in case I need creatures to defend with or to get rid of the last of my opponent's library should the chance present itself.

The rest of the cards are mostly fill, used to take out creatures that are a threat; I don't have that mill cards to begin with and as I stated before, I used a Yu-Gi-Oh deck building strategy to create any deck I post here. The mill strategy is meant to be in the background, using my attack creatures and spells to draw my opponent's focus away, a bait and switch if you will.

But again, thank you for the advice and none of what I have said was meant to discredit any of it; I'm just explaining how I build my decks.

Philippe Saner

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 07:09:42 am »
Fair enough.

I should warn you, though: Magic is less kind to that sort of deckbuilding than Yugioh is. Card selection is worse, decks are larger, and redundancy is more important.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:13:37 am »
Just out of curiosity, which format do you plan on playing with this deck: Standard, Modern or casual?