deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] Anti Infect?  (Read 310 times)

ManaHammer

• The older I get, the more I play
  • Decks
[Modern] Anti Infect?
« on: June 19, 2017, 10:54:51 am »
[Modern] Anti Infect?

This is my anti-infect attempt. I am trying to keep units on the field until I can get some protection on them, and set up a Stuffy Doll Pariah combo to keep poison counters from actually hitting me. I do want to keep this deck Modern

I am still new to this and would appreciate thoughts and feedback.

Nabantius

• There is always a greater power.
  • Decks
Re: [Modern] Anti Infect?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 11:14:51 pm »
You need to work on it yet,  you have and idea but is in need of polishing. 
Nabantius

ManaHammer

• The older I get, the more I play
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 05:06:04 am »
You need to work on it yet,  you have and idea but is in need of polishing.

I really appreciate your reply! Any suggestions?

jonnie

• EDH Degenerate | Washed-up Modern Player
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 03:27:27 pm »
The deck really doesn't seem to do anything. How you do benefit from simply being anti-infect? If we're talking modern meta infect, it would completely blow through this deck before you play anything. If we're talking even a casual infect build, they have ways of pushing through damage with unblockable creatures
The Stuffy Doll + Pariah combo doesn't work against infect damage. Since the damage being redirected from you is still applied as -1/-1 counters, Stuff Doll, despite being indestructible, would die from a state of having consistent 0 toughness. Here is a forum thread explaining the interaction and ruling: https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/magic-rulings/magic-rulings-archives/284101-pariah-stuffy-doll-infect

Your concept suffers from being too narrow. Your deck in concept is very defensive, however you barely have a win condition. You seem to want to create a stable boardstate against a very specific deck archetype, but what happens after you do so? You don't have any big payoff for once you take control of the game. Nothing you can play will win the game on its own. You rely on attacking in with very expensive creatures. You also plan on using very offensive creatures such as Strangleroot Geist and Young Wolf defensively.

My advice is instead of trying to make a deck that's strong against one type of deck, make a deck that is strong against a plethora of decks. If you're new to deck building and the metagame in general, I you invest into something you can enjoy playing for a long time that has potential for upgrades. Think about what kind of archetype you want to play instead of what archetypes you want to beat. Do you want to sling spells at your opponents face? Do you want to attack in with a lot of creatures? Do you want to ramp and play big creatures? Do you want to control your opponent and grind out a long term win? Do you want to make some ridiculous combo and have your opponent sit and watch in agony? After you're decided this, you can then build a deck and adjust according to what match ups you're strong against and what you're weak against.

It's also important to understand which colors do what. This deck you've built is Green/White aka Selesnya. Selesnya is known for mass producing tokens and +1/+1 counters, creatures that provide great value for their mana cost such as Loxodon Smiter and Voice of Resurgence, its ability to fight against artifacts and enchantments, and using enchantments themselves.

The following are a few Tier decks in the Selesnya colors. They might not be exactly what you're looking for and they're quite expensive (most tier modern decks range $400 - $2000+) but I hope they can provide examples and inspirations for something you might want to build in these colors.

Little Kid GW
Hatebears
Aura Hexproof