deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Casual] Song of the Dead  (Read 730 times)

Asura

• Decks
[Casual] Song of the Dead
« on: June 10, 2017, 03:40:32 am »
Song of the Dead

Can you help me improve this deck??

The principal idea is finalize with Songs of the Damned + Consume Spirit or rat ability
Or fill the graveyard to trigger Mortal Combat

"I need never remember my past associates, my victims, my mistakes. Innistrad preserves them all for me."
Sorin Markov

Asura

• Decks
Re: [Casual] Song of the Dead
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 03:42:16 am »

Revision 2

Added/removed cards:
+4 (SB) Black Sun's Zenith

Changed amounts:
"I need never remember my past associates, my victims, my mistakes. Innistrad preserves them all for me."
Sorin Markov

entropize

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 03:54:23 am »

Philippe Saner

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 08:08:09 am »
18 lands probably isn't enough.

That aside, I think you need more ways to stock your graveyard. Discard outlets, self-mill, Dredge, that kind of thing. As-is, you'll have trouble getting enough bodies into the grave.

I'm not sold on the Haunted Crossroads or the Pit Keeper: they seem counterproductive since you want a full graveyard.

Wight of Precinct Six only counts opposing graveyards, which makes it a lot less useful.

PS: I'm not sure if a Spirit-based version using Iname, Death Aspect would be any good, but it might be worth a shot.

DanyTheWarrior

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 11:52:18 am »
Where is Crypt of Agadeem? ^^

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 11:55:42 am »

Asura

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 07:28:25 pm »
heeey guys, thanks for all your hints
This deck turned out to be different from what I wanted, I'll make another using the similar mechanic to fill the graveyard, this time a control, maybe have some split for green and red trying to use Channel and Fireball
Sorin Markov

Asura

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 07:32:27 pm »
18 lands probably isn't enough.

That aside, I think you need more ways to stock your graveyard. Discard outlets, self-mill, Dredge, that kind of thing. As-is, you'll have trouble getting enough bodies into the grave.

I'm not sold on the Haunted Crossroads or the Pit Keeper: they seem counterproductive since you want a full graveyard.

Wight of Precinct Six only counts opposing graveyards, which makes it a lot less useful.

PS: I'm not sure if a Spirit-based version using Iname, Death Aspect would be any good, but it might be worth a shot.

I liked your tips, but I'm not very familiar with these mechanics, you can tell me good cards synergistically with the deck theme, I'll make another version of that deck a little heavier and more consistent.
Sorin Markov

Asura

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 07:34:53 pm »
I would suggest adding liliana of the dark realms, kormus bell, squelching leeches, and possibly contamination, horror of horrors and strands of night.
The best Liliana here are Liliana, Death's Majesty. But I'll consider your recommendations, thanks ^^
Sorin Markov

Asura

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 07:37:09 pm »
Where is Crypt of Agadeem? ^^
WOOOOOOW i don't know this card... are ossome in this deck... very grateful :D
Sorin Markov

Asura

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 07:39:06 pm »
Morality Shift is great with Mortal Combat!
huuuum... i don't know, but can work, it's heavy
Sorin Markov

Philippe Saner

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 05:26:24 am »
I liked your tips, but I'm not very familiar with these mechanics, you can tell me good cards synergistically with the deck theme, I'll make another version of that deck a little heavier and more consistent.

You can see Dredge here. Often dredge decks never intend to cast their Dredge spells, so they just play the ones with the biggest Dredge numbers.

For discard and self-mill, you can get better options by looking beyond black. Voyaging Satyr, Cathartic Reunion, Jace, Vryn's Prodigy, Faithless Looting, and Grisly Salvage come to mind. Not sure what your best monoblack options are...I guess you could try Dark Deal, Haunted Dead, Call the Bloodline, Crow of Dark Tidings, and/or Bitter Revelation.

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 01:16:12 am »
Here are the main combos to stack your graveyard (to my knowledge):
Hermit Druid: you just have to build a deck with all nonbasic lands to be able to dump your whole library to your graveyard as soon as turn 3 (even turn 2 with some acceleration). This combo is so good that Hermit Druid is banned in most formats.
Undercity Informer and/or Balustrade Spy: to make this work, you have to build a deck with literally no lands. It's a tough task but not an impossible one, in fact it's the core of the All Spells deck.
Cephalid Illusionist + Nomads en-Kor: it's an old combo that was the core of the Cephalid Breakfast deck. You can swap Nomads en-Kor for many other cards (most notably, Shuko) to get the same result.
Golgari Grave-Troll and other dredge cards: the engine desides the infamous Ichorid deck (or lately dredge deck, tout-court). There are many incarnations of this archetype to choose from, depending on the format etc.
Mesmeric Orb + Basalt Monolith: I think this was first proposed for the Four Horsemen combo, but now it's used in many other decks (especially in EDH). You can swap Basalt Monolith for many other cards.
Mirror-Mad Phantasm: this combo is mostly used in EDH. You play your only copy of the Phantasm, then you clone it in some way and activate the clone to again dump your whole library to your graveyard.

As a personal advice, beside Morality Shift (which I don't think it's that hard to cast, after all), I would suggest Necrologia: pay a bunch of life, keep Songs of the Damned and Consume Spirit and discard the rest, boom!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:18:33 am by crimsonking »