deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] You Win Some, You Ooze Some  (Read 534 times)

ManaHammer

• The older I get, the more I play
  • Decks
[Modern] You Win Some, You Ooze Some
« on: June 30, 2017, 09:33:01 am »
You Win Some, You Ooze Some

I wanted to make an ooze deck so I started tossing around a couple card ideas. This is what I got. I am hoping Bloodhall Ooze and Experiment one will be quick enough to for me to get a little survivability on the board while I build up my combos. Plus, with doubling season they can get to be a big threat eventually. I also saw Doubling Season as a good card to generally build my creatures around. Hopefully it could even serve as a wincon.

The buildup was based around Exsanguinate. I figure throwing down Mana Reflection, Gift of Paradise, and Doubling Cube would lead to a big KO. That was also why I grabbed the Golgari Rot Farm. However, I am a little worried my land cards are getting muddied, and the Hanweir situation might be adding to much complexity to the deck and undermining it.

Thoughts, opinions?

preperito

• Decks
Re: [Modern] You Win Some, You Ooze Some
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 03:49:39 pm »
¿No crees que podrias dejar este mazo en solo dos colores eliminando el negro?

ManaHammer

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 05:17:25 am »
¿No crees que podrias dejar este mazo en solo dos colores eliminando el negro?

I was using Exsanguinate as my wincon, however, I could abandon that and ease off of the mana boosting and add +1/+1 instants or more token generating cards.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 05:20:19 am »
Necrotic Ooze Wincon? There's and infinite damage combo and an infinite mana combo with it
Nils is the God I worship

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 08:32:00 am »
I would recommend taking out the Eldrazi ooze and replace it with more of the green ooze creatures from the innistrad set.
Inexorable Blob and Scavenging ooze would be great additions to this deck because they can get stronger quickly AND they can put pressure on your opponent.

ManaHammer

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 08:47:26 am »

Revision 2

Added/removed cards:
-3 Hanweir Battlements
-4 Hanweir Garrison
-1 Hanweir, the Writhing Township
+3 Inexorable Blob
+4 Scavenging Ooze

What about this set up? I am still tempted to ditch black, but Bloodhall Ooze plays nicely with Gift of Paradise and it will get on the field quickly, but then would want to keep the three colors up. I don't know. I have a lot of mixed feelings.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 09:04:30 am »
If you feel like that you need to splash a third color JUST for one card then you shouldn't do it. Reason being that all the support you're running towards that one added color could instead be put to good use enhancing the consistency of the overall deck. Now if you REALLY want that red then look at the Shards of Alara block and Construct a traditional JUND deck using the original cards (via this website), then remove and add your ooze creatures as you need to. Looking at the block itself will give you the structure for your triple color deck but making a simply Golgari deck (B/G) will be easier to pilot.

ManaHammer

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 06:47:17 pm »
If you feel like that you need to splash a third color JUST for one card then you shouldn't do it. Reason being that all the support you're running towards that one added color could instead be put to good use enhancing the consistency of the overall deck. Now if you REALLY want that red then look at the Shards of Alara block and Construct a traditional JUND deck using the original cards (via this website), then remove and add your ooze creatures as you need to. Looking at the block itself will give you the structure for your triple color deck but making a simply Golgari deck (B/G) will be easier to pilot.

Thank you very much for the thoughtful input. I think for simplicity sake and everything you have suggested, I will drop it down to a B/G deck. I just so married to a theme (ooze) that I hate the idea of breaking it. However, what's the point if the deck won't play well, right?

ManaHammer

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 07:18:04 pm »

Revision 3

Added/removed cards:
-4 Bloodhall Ooze
-2 Doubling Cube
-4 Exsanguinate
-4 Mana Reflection
-3 Manaplasm
-5 Mountain
+4 Abundant Growth
+4 Necrotic Ooze
+4 Slitherhead

Changed amounts:
+1 Doubling Season
+6 Forest
-1 Gift of Paradise
+1 Golgari Rot Farm
+1 Predator Ooze
+2 Swamp

Okay, changed a lot. This is almost completely a creature-based deck now, but I think it still has some serious potential with the Doubling Season. I have the Gift of Paradise and Abundant Growth so my Necrotic Ooze can actually use something if it comes up. However, none of my cards has activated abilities, so I am going to really be relying on my opponent's graveyard for that.

I do have reservations about going all creature power, but, I am new, and these things are lessons I am learning. Does this seem viable as it stands?

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 08:40:54 am »
 Well funny that you mention this. Because your deck is now B/G you can look at the Guilds of Ravnica and take a close look at the Golgari Swarm. a Lot of their creatures are of the B/G variety and creatures such as stonefare crocodile (for the life link), trestle troll (for the regenerate), Lotleth troll (for cheaper regenerate), and even groundskeeper (to get lands back that you may mill to the graveyard). These are some options that you can implement into your deck while still keeping the pressure on your opponent. And yes a creature focused deck is of course a viable strategy. Think of it like this, your creatures are the front line to your castle. If you have no defense then your opponent is just going to stroll right in. You can throw your fire balls at them (spells) but if they are resilient then they'll get by. It's important to have strong forces up front because they can be used for both offense and as a deterrent.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 12:45:05 pm »
I second what Moto said about creature based decks. Don't be afraid to say screw it and make a deck with one non-creature spell just for fun ;D maybe it'll work
Nils is the God I worship