deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: please help !! Rule argument about hexproof  (Read 3436 times)

hellproof023

• Decks
please help !! Rule argument about hexproof
« on: May 10, 2014, 12:46:31 am »
Ok so me and my friend constantly dispute each other in the rules and he's not well at listening or even believing me when I prove it from a forum. I have to use the rule book to prove anything. So please reference the rule or he won't concede... The argument is about my red/black god's ability working against him while he has hexproof. My side is simple. It doesn't say target so hexproof doesn't help him. (I'm referring to player hexproof) sorry not sure how to link cards on here yet. He's saying that because it says "beginning of each opponents upkeep " that it's targeting him. Another big one we are arguing about is silence the believers getting rid of creatures and whatever card attached to it including bestow! From what I've read on articles about silence the believers DOES work against bestow. Thanks for any info in advance!

hellproof023

• Decks
Re: please help !! Rule argument about hexproof
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 02:12:06 am »

Arcum_Dagsson

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 06:47:25 pm »
with the first one you are 100% correct, you aren't naming any specific target, so hex proof and shroud do nothing. i would have to look into the second one though.

Arcum_Dagsson

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 06:52:24 pm »
yep, your correct on the second count too, you should tell your mate to read what the card texts say and stop being a wanker when things don't go his way.

hellproof023

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 08:20:51 pm »
Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

JamesBPK

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 08:24:29 pm »
You are correct in both counts. Your opponent having hexproof (I'm assuming from somthing like Aegis of the Gods) would not help him against Mogis' ability, But would help him against cards that have the wording "Target Player", for cards such as Lava Axe and/or Traumatise.

If you read the wording for any bestow card it will say that the creature that you are bestowing on your target is an aura, and therefore it will be a fair target for being exiled by Silence the Believers.

AeroSigma

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 07:53:29 pm »
So you know, it's 702.11c

Quote from: MTG CR
702.11c "Hexproof" on a player means "You can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control."

And perhaps more importantly, 114.9a

Quote from: MTG CR
114.9. Spells and abilities can affect objects and players they don't target. In general, those objects and players aren't chosen until the spell or ability resolves. See rule 608, "Resolving Spells and Abilities."
  114.9a Just because an object or player is being affected by a spell or ability doesn't make that object or player a target of that spell or ability. Unless that object or player is identified by the word "target" in the text of that spell or ability, or the rule for that keyword ability, it's not a target.
  114.9b In particular, the word "you" in an object's text doesn't indicate a target.

Drunk Cynic

• Abusing the Terrible and Neglected
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 09:16:24 pm »
Regarding Bestow and Auras
702.102. Bestow
702.102a Bestow represents two static abilities, one that functions while the card with bestow is on the stack and another that functions both while it’s on the stack and while it’s on the battlefield. “Bestow [cost]” means “You may cast this card by paying [cost] rather than its mana cost.” and “If you chose to pay this spell’s bestow cost, it becomes an Aura enchantment and gains enchant creature. These effects last until one of two things happens: this spell has an illegal target as it resolves or the permanent this spell becomes, becomes unattached.” Paying a card’s bestow cost follows the rules for paying alternative costs in rules 601.2b and 601.2e–g.
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.
If I throw statistics at you, they likely came from:
http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx