deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Starter Decks  (Read 315 times)

retroplayer1478

• Decks
Starter Decks
« on: November 28, 2017, 03:29:10 pm »
Hey, I am looking to teaching the kids in my card club to play Magic, The Gathering but my local shop is out of sample decks, I was wondering if anyone had some ideas for some starter decks I could build, and on a budget too, I do have to make more then a couple lol. Thanks to anyone who helps

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: Starter Decks
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 04:22:01 pm »
Commons!!  I usually raid all of my excess commons for making teaching decks.  Lots of vanilla creatures and very simple spells.  Keep the decks to just one or two colors each. 
Happy Brewing!
:)

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 08:04:16 pm »
I made a pure red deck for my daughter.  Creatures, vehicles and burn.  Simple, straightforward, and noneed to worry if the mana is the correct type.

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 08:50:40 pm »
Hey, I am looking to teaching the kids in my card club to play Magic, The Gathering but my local shop is out of sample decks, I was wondering if anyone had some ideas for some starter decks I could build, and on a budget too, I do have to make more then a couple lol. Thanks to anyone who helps

All the previous posts have good ideas.

I second the advice on keeping it simple to make it an easy introduction, and using commons to save $. Pick mostly vanilla creatures at each cmc level, and one or two sorceries. Once they get the hang of the basics, introduce 'booster packs' that have 5 more complex cards (instants, enchantments, keyword creatures, artifacts) and let the new players increase their deck size and power as they learn. (After each session, you could de-build back into separate intro decks and intro boosters for the next learner.)

I think making 5 mono color decks would be a great place to start. You would be 'showing', not 'telling' the new players what each color does well, and what it cannot do as long as you select the cards wisely. The new players can experiment with each color to find their favorite way to play. That could lead them to ask questions about color combinations and other higher game concepts.

Good on you for taking extra time to spread the game to new players, and good luck!
http://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
http://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
http://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 09:07:34 pm »
Just a quick thing to add to what CardAgain said about teaching what each color does, also be sure to tell them that it doesn't restrict them because there are always exceptions, for example red has a few counterspells and blue even has a burn spell!
Nils is the God I worship