deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] A gentleman's death  (Read 473 times)

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
[Modern] A gentleman's death
« on: November 23, 2017, 01:22:46 am »
A gentleman's death

A long, long time ago I made a U/W deck which was based around knowledge pool + curse of exhaustion (long story short, your opponent can't cast spells once both are on the field).  It's a pretty hard lock, and once it's out there's not much that can be done about it.  The problem was, the deck didn't really do anything else good.  Sometimes you'd land a winner from the opponent's exile.  But generally, you were just waiting to get the Angel out and win. 

I was playing a friend the other day and he played a tron deck that tossed out Helix Pinnacle as a wincon.  It seemed pretty cool, and I realized it would probably be really good in the lock-out deck.  So I just took all the not-useful cards out of that deck and put in a few board wipes and other things. 
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

shenople

• Decks
Re: [Modern] A gentleman's death
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 06:32:58 am »
Rule of Law seems pretty bad because it effects you as well, and would lock you out of the game as well. Since you're running U/W, you could consider using Azor's Elocutors, more vulnerable but faster than Helix Pinnacle.

Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir might be a consideration since it blocks your opponents with knowledge pool but not yourself like rule of law does.

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 11:26:26 am »
Rule of Law seems pretty bad because it effects you as well, and would lock you out of the game as well. Since you're running U/W, you could consider using Azor's Elocutors, more vulnerable but faster than Helix Pinnacle.

Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir might be a consideration since it blocks your opponents with knowledge pool but not yourself like rule of law does.

I saw Azor's elocutors and it just seemed really high cost.  I agree it'd be faster, though.  so I might give it a shot. 

Rule of Law is mainly in there for multiplayer matches (which I seem to play a lot).  limiting myself to one spell per turn is acceptable when it also stops most of the other decks i play against in their tracks. 

Teferi might actually be an interesting one.  I didn't realize his interaction with knowledge pool

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

DocRock

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 04:05:09 pm »
How does Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir interact with knowledge pool ?
I don't get it :(

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 06:22:58 pm »
 They can't use it because it triggers when they cast a spell, and a sorcery may only be cast when there are no spells on the stack
Nils is the God I worship

ggtestament

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 08:35:34 pm »
Unfortunately, your combo is too slow. 6 mana Artifact and 4 mana Enchantment takes too much time to put out. Remember that Modern is kind of a Turn-4 format, which means the games usually ends by turn 4 or there would be someone with a clear advantage.

Rule of Law is not exactly a bad card. Yes it slows down your game, but that is the whole point.
When playing Rule of Law, there are two ways to break the card:
1) You can play one spell during your turn AND during opponent's turn, which means casting a counterspell on opponent's turn
2) Just because you can only play one spell per turn, you can still activate numerous abilities. I'm thinking Gideon, Ally of Zendikar for tokens every turn

The approach you want to take is to cast a spell on your turn and then cast a counterspell on opponent's turn. Stall until you find your lock in Kira, Great Glass-Spinner, Ghost-Lit Wanderer and Soratami Savant.

In terms of counters and answers, Path to Exile, Spell Pierce, Negate are all great. If you run enough of these spells, consider playing Delver of Secrets, there is a high chance that you would be able to flip that into a 3/2 flyer as an alternative win con.

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 10:35:30 pm »
Unfortunately, your combo is too slow. 6 mana Artifact and 4 mana Enchantment takes too much time to put out. Remember that Modern is kind of a Turn-4 format, which means the games usually ends by turn 4 or there would be someone with a clear advantage.

It is. That’s why I don’t make a lot of competitive decks, and I’d never dream of thinking this deck would beat say infect. I make stuff that does fun things, but you’d never take to a tournament. I like the modern format, not the events. Tried them, no fun. Too many people playing the same 5 decks. Nobody cares about having fun.

In a casual modern game (kitchen table) it can be fun. The playgroup I play with is all people who just make weird, sometimes funny stuff. I mean, Jesus, I have a deck built around Warped Devotion. I won’t be winning aaaaaaaaaany tournaments XD.

Modern >

ggtestament

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 09:07:27 pm »
You don't need to worry about making it highly competitive, but I think it is possible to build it so that your deck can go off from time to time. It's just more fun to play if there is a better chance of the deck going off.

Mostlynotgay

• Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 04:25:17 am »
You don't need to worry about making it highly competitive, but I think it is possible to build it so that your deck can go off from time to time. It's just more fun to play if there is a better chance of the deck going off.

That, you are correct about. It goes off maybe 60/40 which is usually good enough for me XD.

I like electors because it let's me keep 2 colors. Maybe splash black instead of green for more control.

Modern >