deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Black/White Deck Looking for input  (Read 444 times)

Ziriik

• Decks
Black/White Deck Looking for input
« on: November 27, 2017, 06:50:42 am »
I'm fairly new to magic and recently bought some cards to make a deck with. This is my first deck and i kinda winged it to see what i could make. Just curious what more experienced players think and what i should do with it

https://deckstats.net/decks/98486/861857-black-white-deck-zombies-and-a
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 06:53:00 am by Ziriik »

Soren841

• Decks
Re: Black/White Deck Looking for input
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 01:21:45 pm »
Cut down to 60 cards and have more duplicates. Less one ofs
Nils is the God I worship

grollm

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 08:38:59 pm »
What format are you trying to play? What are the most influential decks in said format? What is the general strategy you're trying to accomplish? Does your strategy beat the best decks in the format? These are all question you have to ask when creating a deck. I would suggest when you are first learning to play, pick a format first. I would suggest an eternal format, Vintage, Legacy, or Vintage. Standard is lowest cost of entry, but cards rotate and that $300 you spent on that sick standard deck rotates out and now that's $300 deck is worth about $2 dollars. The eternal formats have a higher initial price of entry, but cards never rotate out and once you get your deck you don't need to buy any more cards unless you want to or you want to make changes to your deck.
"It's actually quite simple, but since you've only recently begun to walk upright, it may take some time to explain."

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 08:48:55 pm »
Going of that. I recommend legacy. Cards don't rotate out and the format is very open. Vintage is dominated by a few pillars, is extremely complex, and tens of thousands of dollars. I highly recommend not starting with Vintage

grollm

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 09:11:24 pm »
I agree with you, but I feel someone new coming into the game I think should get their feet wet in Modern. Legacy is a very unforgiving format and one mistake can literally cost you the game. I think start with Modern if you like it, then delve a little bit deeper.
"It's actually quite simple, but since you've only recently begun to walk upright, it may take some time to explain."

Ziriik

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 09:14:16 pm »
Thank you for your input i'm still learning and only have a few amount of cards and was experimenting with this deck to see what i could make and what others think of it

grollm

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 09:18:21 pm »
It's hard for us to help you without knowing what format you are trying to play. Here's a list of formats. The most common constructed formats are Vintage, Legacy, Modern, and Standard.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/gameplay/rules-and-formats/formats

Ziriik

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 09:23:54 pm »
I would say that the format is modern

grollm

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 09:31:47 pm »
If you're set on Black/White, I would either go Black White Tokens or Eldrazi Taxes. Both great decks. I think Eldrazi Taxes is tier 1 and BW tokens is probably tier 2. Taxes is a bit harder to play for a newer player as there are some tricks with the triggers of Tidehollow Sculler. Here is the metagame for Modern. These stats can be a little off though because combo is poorly represented online. What I would do is pick a deck you like and copy it exactly and play it for a few months at your local store. After games ask your opponents where you made misplays or what you could have done better. Watch videos on Youtube of Pro players playing your deck. Once you get a handle of the how the deck plays and the how it interacts with the field and THEN make changes that you want or tweaks you want to make. This is key. I was REALLY bad about this when I was first coming into Legacy or when I was first starting back into competitive Magic. I would be like, "Why run card X? That card is dumb is hell, I'll just cut that and run y instead." And then I would learn the hard way why the pros played said card lol.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Ziriik

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 09:47:19 pm »
ok thanks i appreciate it

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 11:38:12 pm »
Then u get to the fun part. U get good and do what grollm said about cards x and y, except u get it right and win a tournament ;D

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 01:53:37 am »
Lol how about sticking with casual first and working your way up
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 03:21:04 am »
You can't work your way up with casual because it doesn't have rules

Ziriik

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 06:42:33 am »
thanks guys for all the input i have revised my deck and have made changes which i think have made it better. The deck is mostly centered around my zombies and the angels i have in the deck so im hoping to test it out soon. Thanks again for all the help