deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] Polyraptor Combo  (Read 849 times)

Sol-Bara11

• The Shifting Wastes are alive.
  • Decks
[Standard] Polyraptor Combo
« on: January 08, 2018, 07:35:25 am »
Polyraptor Combo

Ramp like crazy, for a crazy raptor that makes a narcissistic army thanks to Forerunner of the Empire, and can proceed to assault opponents right when they enter the battlefield, thanks to the Alpha's permission.
(EXPERIMENTAL DECK AND PLEASE ONLY CONSTRUCTIVE ADVICE)[/font][/size]

apoapostolov

• Producer, Data Lead @ Gameloft Sofia
  • Decks
Re: [Standard] Polyraptor Combo
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 02:05:01 pm »
My only comment would be - why so much ramp, and no Heroic Intervention? Ramp is good so probably, but at some point it loses its utility.

Heroic Intervention allows you to up your combo to more than 3 forerunner triggers and will protect your units from targeted removal. Also target protection from settle the wreckage.

theewall200

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 04:38:42 pm »
It still foesnt prorect fron settle since its target player. Still heroic still can be very usefull.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 09:31:20 pm »
 These are my suggestions for your deck and I'll explain each one as well;

I'd recommend dropping the regisaur alpha down to 3 copies,
the Polyraptor up to 2 copies,
removing the sweltering suns all together,
Swapping out the dual shot cards for rile
and adding ripjaw raptor in place of the sweltering sun.

1. Reason being is that he is almost just as large as your main combo piece that you're building the deck around. But it would make more sense to have more copies of the Polyraptor than the alpha. It'll help with the deck consistency that way.

2. Polyraptor and forerunner of the empire are great together. It's pretty much a limitless army. But you do not want to run just one copy of it. All it would take is for someone to banish all copies and your deck is toast. Now if you have other creatures with enrage then that's fine, the deck won't cease to function. But centering a deck around a card you only have one copy of is not the best idea.

3.Sweltering sun is a strong sorcery but you don't want to roast all of your creatures so easily. The more damage you deal to your own creatures the easier it is for the opponent to remove those creatures. Unless you have ways to pump your dinosaurs through the game it would be a sideboard addition at the least. Turning a 5/5 into a 5/2 just to have it get hit with a lightning bolt would be unfortunate.

4. Dual shot I see the utility in this card since it can hit two different targets (hence the namesake). But if you have rile instead then you will deal damage to your enrage creature, that same creature will have TRAMPLE (to deal that excess damage since your dino will be big anyway), AND you get a free card out of it for the same mana cost. This is a valuable card because for one mana you give your creature a combat trick and you gain a resource out of it.

5. In place of the sweltering sun you should add the ripjaw raptor. This is also an enrage creature that will synergize with your forerunner of the empire. IT's got a decent body and this card will give you cards as long as you are dealing damage to it. For example, rile on ripjaw raptor will turn it into a 4/4 with trample and you'll get +2 cards out of using one mana on the rile spell.

Those are my thoughts on your deck build. What do you think?

Sol-Bara11

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 05:24:59 pm »
Apoapostolov: I do see your point with Heroic Intervention, especially since I saw the limitation of only being able to use the Forerunner's ability three times before it basically kills itself.  With Heroic Intervention, this turns into an infinite combo, which I also like, and I would like to see that happen.  Problem is(for me) is that I only have one Heroic Intervention, and I might only be able to have two in a physical deck, 'cause I'm broke to the bone.  It is interesting though and something to really look into.  Thanks for the comment!!

G. Moto: I see your logic with Sweltering Suns, especially the disappointing aspect of losing my creatures.  I just thought, since the Forerunner is already dealing 3 damage to all creatures, killing the opponent's weaker creatures, they will still have some stronger creatures to be taken care of.  Sweltering Suns is a lesser of two evils, and I took that gamble for this build.  Also, on the Polyraptor, I very strongly want to make this deck a reality, and knowing my luck, I'm probably only going to be able to pull one Polyraptor, so I build this deck mostly around that anchor to reality.  The Regisaurs, I also see, but I only pulled one of those since Ixalan came out, which I'm a bit bummed about.  I believe I have a Ripjaw Raptor, and the rest of the suggestions you offered do make a lot of sense.  I'll sideboard Sweltering Suns and put in your changes, I like them a lot.  Thanks for the comment!

The is an experimental deck, and I am trying to be a bit realistic here on the proportions of cards, from my standpoint.  I have tried this deck on Untap.in with the one copy, and I lost(To Temur Energy...I hate that deck) but it was close.  I feel if I make these changes, and am able to implement them, this deck could be A LOT better off.  Thank you both for your comments, they really helped!!

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 05:29:34 pm »
Untap is not a great place to test realistic or budget decks.. Just FYI
Nils is the God I worship

Sol-Bara11

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 05:32:11 pm »

Revision 2

Added/removed cards:
+4 Heroic Intervention
+2 (Main) +1 (SB) Ripjaw Raptor
-1 (SB) Etali, Primal Storm
-1 (SB) Ghalta, Primal Hunger

Changed amounts:
-2 Atzocan Archer
-3 (Main) +1 (SB) Dual Shot
+1 Forest
-1 Mountain
+1 Polyraptor
-1 (Main) +1 (SB) Ranging Raptors
-1 Regisaur Alpha
+2 (Main) -2 (SB) Rile
-2 (Main) +1 (SB) Sweltering Suns

Sol-Bara11

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 05:33:34 pm »
Soren841: Yeah..it's the best place I got, though.  And honestly I was up againt Energy with a non-Ramunap Red deck, so the possibility of winning was really low.  I don't like hoe pushed Energy was.

Sol-Bara11

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 05:33:47 pm »
how*

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 05:39:26 pm »
@Sol-bara11, you are welcome. You say that you keep the card copy count low for some cards because you say "realistically" you may not see them that often. But that just comes down to how you structure the deck. If your deck is consistent and you have abilities that give you your resources then it will become better for you to get what you need.For example, forerunner of the empire would actually be good for this deck because he himself can literally tutor the dino that you need and when creatures you control hit the board it can serve as the dual shot that you just removed. Best part is that it's a MAY, so you have the CHOICE to deal damage. That's called utility.

Sol-Bara11

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 05:45:58 pm »
G. Moto: Whenever I see a "May" in card text, I assume it will more often than not be used.  I do see the utility of the effect, though.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 06:52:24 pm »
Fair enough, it's open to interpretation. I just presented it cause it did multiple things that the cards you previously removed did but on a body. Also there are spells that can help you get to the cards you need faster such as commune with dinosaurs. It's a very valuable card to have and the best part....it only costs 1 mana :)

Sol-Bara11

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 08:35:08 pm »
I think I put Commune with Dinosaurs in there already..I don't know, I'm in class and my head is hurting, so I don't remember. :P

ggtestament

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 11:28:56 pm »
I think Attune with Aether might be more efficient than the 3 mana Aura. Aura might be too slow

Sol-Bara11

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 11:51:55 pm »
True, but I don't want energy in this deck.  I hate energy enough and I want to try making a deck that doesn't use energy in order to make winning easier.