deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Custom Banlist that my EDH playgroup uses  (Read 2236 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Custom Banlist that my EDH playgroup uses
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 09:17:08 pm »
Even the Rules Committee has stated that the reason that the moxen remain on the banned list is due to price.

Little bit of difference in banning a $70 card because of price and banning a $2,000 card because of price.  ;)

If there's going to be a threshold for price ban then IMO, it should be decided across the group AND if that's a thing than it needs to include all cards over that threshold if it's truly about financially evening the playing field.
This space for rent.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 09:27:59 pm »
Absolutely, everything needs to be decided upon by your local group.  The "leveling the playingfield" that I mentioned is not just about finances.  But about the game holistically.   Taking into consideration everything from strategy (do you actually need one, or is it so broken that you play it and win), to mana investment (is the effect ok if it costs 9 mana?), to time investment (how many turns is it on field before payoff), to accessibility (how easily can anyone in the group obtain this card/effect).
Happy Brewing!
:)

Khurtz

• Decks
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 09:32:24 pm »
Even the Rules Committee has stated that the reason that the moxen remain on the banned list is due to price.

Little bit of difference in banning a $70 card because of price and banning a $2,000 card because of price.  ;)

If there's going to be a threshold for price ban then IMO, it should be decided across the group AND if that's a thing than it needs to include all cards over that threshold if it's truly about financially evening the playing field.

Hey hey hey, you can get an unlimited Mox Ruby on ABUgames for $1150 so they're not THAT expensive ; P

Seriously though, it's starting to sound like the argument is more whether a given card will make you an automatic target in EDH, which isn't a problem, or win you the game through symmetrical effect. Most cards on the multiplayer banlist are banned due to symmetry such as Balance, Sundering Titan and Recurring Nightmare/Kokusho. If you're logic is that playing OP cards is fine as long as you don't straight up win the game off them then why wouldn't the Moxen and cards like Recall be fine? You may get a severe early game advantage but if you have 2 or more other players ganging up on you because of it then you should still lose due to inferior resources.

It just makes no sense to me why you have cards like Painter's Servant banned, who can only kill 1 player at a time with Grindstone for a 6 mana initial cost, when you have Auriok Salavagers/LED legal that can kill every player, if your commander is Breya, for the exact same cost. Honestly just feels like the people who make the rules for multiplayer are lazy and stopped caring about the format years ago in order to keep it as casual of a format as possible.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 10:31:26 pm »
I agree with your sentiment Khurtz, there's cards banned by the RC that I don't agree with while there's cards not banned that I don't agree with. Just like them doing away with the separate "banned as commander" list.

Absolutely, everything needs to be decided upon by your local group.  The "leveling the playingfield" that I mentioned is not just about finances.  But about the game holistically.   Taking into consideration everything from strategy (do you actually need one, or is it so broken that you play it and win), to mana investment (is the effect ok if it costs 9 mana?), to time investment (how many turns is it on field before payoff), to accessibility (how easily can anyone in the group obtain this card/effect).

Oh absolutely! My playgroup rules to include our differences with the ban list, which I posted in another thread, are geared towards problems we had in our group. Even within our group there's some cards I feel like should be banned that aren't and there's cards banned that I don't necessarily agree with. Overall though I'm happy with the direction that my group is heading. If a time comes that I'm not, then I'll leave that group and find another.
This space for rent.