deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Auteur Sujet: Sweet pre-release pulls?  (Lu 1077 fois)

Soren841

• Decks
Re: Sweet pre-release pulls?
« Réponse #15 le: Janvier 15, 2018, 02:14:21 am »
O.o what's that
Nils is the God I worship

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Réponse #16 le: Janvier 15, 2018, 02:15:41 am »
That looks fantastic! Great Job man, I'm really proud of you. I think that's definitely better than booster packs.

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Réponse #17 le: Janvier 15, 2018, 02:40:59 am »

I pulled this after winning my pre-release in London, does that count? ;D

Sounds / Looks like you have a great LGS, and congratulations on besting your Rivals!
https://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

Standard decks I'm trying:
https://deck.tk/4ixH1ndX - Mono G Monument
https://deck.tk/94QF5WSF - Booty Sac

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Réponse #18 le: Janvier 15, 2018, 02:59:16 am »
@Soren841, don't feel bad about it. I only went to the midnight release and I had enough in my 1 card pool to build two separate decks. MY decks were balanced mana wise and even though I built them larger than most peoples they needed it since they were tri-color with minimum support each. The decks ran well but at the worst times, like clockwork, I always got mana flooded or strangely mana drought at the wrong time. My overall record was 1/3/1, but most of the people I played against were young people and I was able to teach them some new stuff since it was also their first time going to a pre-release. Overall it was a good night though. I actually posted both of my decks under the deck review if anyone wants to see them.

I second a lot of what was said here,  it's good advice. Sealed is challenging in several ways.

First,  you are stuck with what you have in your pool. That's ok, because so is everyone else, so like mana flood or screw, it all evens out eventually, and you can put that part on luck and save yourself from the feelsbad.

Second, it is a different way to play. Since you can't pick and choose your cards,  removal and evasive creatures mean much more since you're at luck's mercy. Games go longer, and cards you wouldn't look at twice in constructed are viable in limited. In limited,  people love a repeatable effect that draws 1 card for 4 or 5 mana.

When you get a pool that doesn't have obvious bombs, ample removal concentrated in 1 or 2 colors, or tons of evasive, value creatures that just scream out: "Play me in RB, dummy!" - the most fun thing is to build 2 just-ok decks (maybe some card/color overlap). In sealed and draft,  all your cards are sideboard eligible, so if your mediocre rw aggro creature deck gets beat game 1, sideboard into your 2nd deck that's mediocre ub control/removal. Really messes with your opponent :)

I think it's great you tried an event like this, but it's too bad your pool wasn't stellar. Limited's mana curve and card valuation takes some getting used to - I still have trouble findingt the less-obvious synergies, but they are there. The hardest part for me was getting used to making due and finding janky value. I hope you try more, these events are a great chance to do pick up edh games in between rounds or find new edh players for a regular playgroup.

PS - I tried all day to hit an induced amnesia, exiling my hand, followed by getting tishana down and destroying the amnesia enchantment to bring all those exiled cards back to me, pumping tishana. Totally win-more, but sealed is the best excuse for silly jank like that. I could have lost every game and been happy if I hit that just once.

https://deck.tk/1PJd2YnD - Krokodil; my favorite Standard deck which focuses on -1/-1 counter synergy; currently illegal due to ban on attune. I'm brewing a post ban version...

G. Moto

• Decks
« Réponse #19 le: Janvier 15, 2018, 03:08:32 am »
@CardAgain Sweater, thanks for the support. The good thing about pre-release is that you can look over the set through all the spoilers. I do this because it gives me time to learn the set and already in my mind build some decks based off of what I want to run. What I usually do is keep in mind; Ravnica, Alara, Tarkir....each of these blocks consist of the 18 color pairs that you tend to see most often in both constructed and sealed formats. Knowing how you'd play those colors in the set will already give you an edge. For example, I had no idea that I was going to be playing an Abzan deck, it was my first time building W/B/G this set. But because I saw the synergy between the cards in the set I had enough combo support rather than tribal support. Learning interactions will definitely help with your deck building.
P.S. I had the fleet swallower in my Grixis pirate deck. I lost the game but I did attack his deck and swallow his fleet ;)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Réponse #20 le: Janvier 15, 2018, 03:18:27 am »

I pulled this after winning my pre-release in London, does that count? ;D

Awesome!!!!
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Réponse #21 le: Janvier 15, 2018, 04:16:28 am »
Do most LGS give out trophies? Mine only seems to give out mats or packs.

Soren841

• Decks
« Réponse #22 le: Janvier 15, 2018, 04:18:55 am »
Someone at mine won 2 headed giant with his wife last night st the guardtower and they got 24 packs

G. Moto

• Decks
« Réponse #23 le: Janvier 15, 2018, 04:22:18 am »
That's a pretty good prize out. I think at the pre-release I went to the person had 12 packs that I helped him open. It's funny but the enchantments in this set are actually pretty strong if you look at them from a functional perspective.

CardAgain Sweater

• Decks
« Réponse #24 le: Janvier 15, 2018, 06:10:06 am »
My LGS is almost always pack per win for everyday tournament, like a prerelease ( Constructed $5 entry, 4 rounds; draft $15, 3 rounds; sealed $20, 4 rounds). They even give you a 'pity pack' if you go winless. Prizes increase along with entry fee for other events.

I thought that was generous until I saw the dope hardware Mnemosyne brought home :)
« Modifié: Janvier 15, 2018, 09:55:09 am par CardAgain Sweater »

Soren841

• Decks
« Réponse #25 le: Janvier 15, 2018, 06:14:07 am »
Sadly no pity pack for me. Everyone who didn't quit after the first round got a free one tho

Firegriff

• Decks
« Réponse #26 le: Janvier 15, 2018, 06:14:39 am »
Played 2 headed giant with a friend.  He played UG merfolk, including the Kumena I drew.  I played BU pirate.  We won every match up.  I kept our opponents shut down (Sea Legs was surprisingly good helping with this) while he kept building up armies.  Storm Sculptor on Silvergill had a huge impact, as did hexproox tokens.  Funny thing is, my removal was 2 Ravenous Chupacabra, 1 Walk the Plank, 2 Sea Legs and a Siren's Ruse.
Promo card was Profane Procession.  Winning packs netter Polyraptor and Huatli, Radiant Champion.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Réponse #27 le: Janvier 15, 2018, 09:17:32 am »
That's pretty good. I've never played at a two-headed giant tournament but it definitely sounds like something worth doing with a friend.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Réponse #28 le: Janvier 16, 2018, 03:09:30 pm »
Without going to the midnight pre-release. I played in all 4 others over Sat and Sun..

!st Pre I had white/blue flyers with Warkite Marauder and Timestream Navigator ended up 3/0/1 with it
2nd Pre I had white/black vampires with Bishop of Binding and Paladin of Atonement ended up 2/2 with that would have done better if I realized what this could do Golden Guardian after losing match 1. Knowing it will die from combat or some form of removal and then having 2 mana up and it fights one of my 1/1's made it very easy to flip

3rd I was able to run all my rares wich included Huatli, Radiant Champion, Tetzimoc, Primal Death, Ghalta, Primal Hunger. I lost match 1 but once I got my mana fixed I went 2/2 but made a few mistakes with this much power

4th I ran red/white power stompy dinosaurs wich included both Etali, Primal Storm and Zetalpa, Primal Dawn and went 3/1 with this. I was able to play Zetalpa for free once thanks to Etali in one game
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Réponse #29 le: Janvier 16, 2018, 03:59:50 pm »
That's pretty good. I've never played at a two-headed giant tournament but it definitely sounds like something worth doing with a friend.

Two headed giant tournaments are a blast...if your partner and you are on the same page. Usually I go to them with my son because our play styles generally mesh well (I like to be the beatstick with combat tricks and he likes control/removal), we've been top 2 in every one we've entered together.
This space for rent.