deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH/ Commander] My cat deck  (Read 179 times)

farmergiles

• Decks
[EDH/ Commander] My cat deck
« on: January 21, 2018, 06:47:48 pm »
I just started playing commander in the last few months and have purchased and modified the 2017 Cat deck. Here is my current build.

Looking at it all spread out it seems like I have a lot of artifacts and my mana base is over complicated. I'm not having much luck with this deck lately and am wondering what adjustments can be made or if poor piloting is a factor as well.

Farmer Giles Cats
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:00:41 pm by farmergiles »

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: [EDH/ Commander] My cat deck
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 07:19:50 pm »
Is your poor luck lately due to not having enough mana (less than your opponent's) to cast your spells, or due to not having answers to your opponents? 

No such thing as a "over complicated" mana base in Commander.  I did notice however that you only have 4 non-land sources of mana/ramp.  I suggest at least 4 more.  Things like Thran Dynamo, Lotus Petal, Kodama's Reach, Avacyn's Pilgrim, Birds of Paradise, Land Tax.  Anything to put a few more mana on the field for you.  I usually like to run 6-8 nonland mana sources/ramp in any deck.

Hope this helps

Happy Brewing  :)
Happy Brewing!
:)

farmergiles

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 09:01:18 pm »
I feel like I cant get creatures out which I assume is mostly due to mana issues. I agree I need more ramp, should I replace some of my artifacts with ramp?

thanks for your reply!

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 10:23:19 pm »
My top 3 picks for cards to cut in favor of more ramp:

1) Oketra's Monument - While cost reduction is great, it only impacts your white creatures.  In a mono-white dedicated creature deck this would be great.  For your deck, mana ramp that can be used on every spell would be better.
2) Skullclamp - while an awesome card, it is best with 1-toughness creatures.  You have very few (only 1?).  You won't get a lot of value.
3) Anointed Procession - while you do have some token creation, that seems to be the back-up plan.  Your primary plan is to voltron a single creature.  Again, not a lot of value.

Another factor in your mana may be a lot of lands entering the battlefield tapped.  In a 2-color deck, you don't often need a lot of dual lands.  Especially when those lands will slow you down, and especially when one of the colors is green.  I would cut (at least) the following in favor of basic lands:
Elfhame Palace
Grasslands
Kabira Crossroads
Selesnya Guildgate
Tranquil Expanse
Vivid Grove
Vivid Meadow

Hope this helps
Happy Brewing!