deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: How to utilize Thran Lens?  (Read 4703 times)

MentalAllergy

• Decks
How to utilize Thran Lens?
« on: June 05, 2014, 12:04:27 pm »
Hey people, its my first post here and the first time after a long break that i rediscovered my Magic Addiction. I am always puzzled by weird cards and try to make use of them. At the moment i am stuck with one card: Thran Lens
Nullifying Color Protection and Color Advantages such as Sunken City are the obvious stuff. Besides that I have found a few less convincing Combos:
Eradicate + Thran Lens
Attrition + Thran Lens
Well-Laid Plans + Thran Lens
Invoke Prejudice + Thran Lens
And one combo of my own:
Chaos Moon + Thran Lens (i have added Goblin Welder to make the number of permanents uneven if necessary)

So i was wondering, is there more to it, is it possible to find a suitable combo? I am open to any ideas and suggestions.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:07:30 pm by MentalAllergy »

AeroSigma

• Decks
Re: How to utilize Thran Lens?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 02:41:49 am »
Note that some weird cards (especially old ones) aren't actually useful, even though they technically 'do' something, though I do share your fascination.

Well Laid Plans won't work, the creatures are colorless, they have no colors to share. This is the reason that invoke prejudice _does_ work.

Also, consider that you still need to pay the appropriate color to cast the spell, it's just colorless once it's on the battlefield. So Chaos Moon won't give anything +1 or -1, it could double the amount your mountains make, but when it turns your mountains to produce colorless mana, you won't be able to cast Goblin Welder anyway.  (PS, am I missing something? It looks to me like Goblin Welder exchanges artifacts, removes 1 and adds 1, keeping the count even or odd, not changing it.)

When you're looking at a weird card like this, you're probably best off starting by looking for creatures that have a drawback having to do with what the card changes.  Are there any creatures that care about sharing colors?  Do any of those 'break' when it can't ever share a color?

Fear and Intimidate get much better, since now only artifact creatures can block them.  Maybe this could be used as sideboard tech in an intimidate deck vs same color matchups.

MentalAllergy

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 07:41:10 am »
Thanks for your ideas and yes you are right, since Invoke Prejudice is color based Thran Lens wont have any effect. Thran Lens and Chaos Moon seems just to be a +-0 equation. So it only prevents my creatures from getting the -1/-1 malus. Nevertheless Thran Lens is still useful in denying bonuses for the opponent.

bigdogdch

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 12:50:11 pm »
Thran Lens + Ancient Stirrings = putting up to 5 permanents in your hand for 1.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 12:51:51 pm by bigdogdch »

AeroSigma

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 06:52:10 pm »
Not quite BigDog, the cards still have the same color, only permanents (cards already played and on the battlefield) are affected by the color removal.

MentalAllergy

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 09:13:18 pm »
Indeed, but thanks for the input. It just another example of how hard it is to find a suitable combo for Thran Lens. Maybe this card is just what it is and I probably should throw it back into my Goblin Deck...