deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Dominaria Dissicusion, New card mechanics, and spoilers  (Read 1214 times)

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
Dominaria Dissicusion, New card mechanics, and spoilers
« on: March 09, 2018, 05:50:55 pm »
New thread for all the dominaria stuff as requested Mnemosyne. But i don't know if he wants a different thread for story related discussion, but here is a thread for all card things from dominaria
I can't even read

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: Dominaria Dissicusion, New card mechanics, and spoilers
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 07:18:13 pm »
It really sucks that this got released before Wizards intended, but I'm also overwhelmed by how good this set looks. It has its ups and downs (like the strictly worse Lightning Bolt and Counterspell), but overall, I'm really excited for this set. Commander is definitely the focus of this set, so I can't wait. Drafting looks like it's going to be wonkey, and Standard is getting a ton of powerful cards. I'm going to give a summary for those that haven't (or don't want to) read the release notes.

First off, Lengendaries are a theme. Remember the Kamigawa block? It was a garbage fire with a couple of gems (notably, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker and Sensei's Divining Top). But Kamigawa predated Lorwyn, which is when creatures got good. So I think a legend set will work fine.

On that note, we're seeing three changes with respect to legends. First, Legendary creatures are getting a new card frame. Second, Legends, Artifacts, and Sagas (enchantment subtype) are referred to as "Historic". This is not a new card type, but there are cards that refer to Historic cards. Third, Legendary Sorceries are a thing now. You must control a Legendary creature or a planeswalker in order to cast them.

Finally, the power level of this set is a huge increase. We have a zero mana artifact that taps for mana from the colors of legendary creatures and planeswalkers you control (Mox Amber). We have an artifact that shuts down multi-mana lands (Dampening Sphere). There is an equipment that can copy a lengendary creature (Helm of the Host). Take note, the token Helm of the Host creates does not leave the battlefield at the end of your turn. Relentless Rats gets some competition (Rat Colony). And finally, a metric ton of new commanders to chose from.

Expect Captain Sisay and Time of Need to spike in price.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 07:22:51 pm »
New thread for all the dominaria stuff as requested Mnemosyne. But i don't know if he wants a different thread for story related discussion, but here is a thread for all card things from dominaria

It would probably be best to separate those topics into separate threads. I foresee a mess. So this thread should suffice for card related things!  :)

What do you guys think about the new mechanics? Saga, Historic and Legendary Sorceries?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 09:49:07 pm »
Really looking forward to the set. Not sure what to expect, not sure how I feel about some of the new mechanics. Looking forward to seeing some of the actual cards. I just can't get overly excited about spoilers without seeing the cards for some reason.

I can't remember...was there a hydra in this set?
This space for rent.

TheWakaEmu117

• #BringBackStorm
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 04:57:44 am »
Man I so pumped for mono green stompy with llanowar elves back, freaking carnage tyrants and rishkars expertise for days yessssss. man i wish i had money to put in to standard for it but i have dozens of llanowar elves so Ill make a budget list with what i have.

Also the new Karn while not as good as og karn is still ridiculously powerful.

Also the wizards pre con just got a bunch of really good new cards for it. Super excited for this set and hopefully a power level increase in standard
I can't even read

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 02:18:41 pm »
I'm interested in seeing how the new Karn works out. It's not as good as I was hoping for, but still seems decent. It's probably not getting dropped in modern Tron anytime soon, sadly.

Speaking of, that Dampening Sphere is WotC way of smacking tron in modern without banning something. Good Lord that's going to be a highly sought after card, even if only for sideboards. It wrecks E Tron in particular, hampering tron lands and eldrazi temple.

I'm still looking forward to the set. They made some interesting decisions, both in cards and story, that I'm curious to see how they work out.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 02:27:32 pm »
There's definitely some artifacts in this set that will see play in commander...

* Blackblade Reforged has some potential if you care about equipment.
* Forebearer's Blade has a nice little attach ability.
* Helm of the Host can be insane with the right commander, or heck, creature in general.
* Mox Amber, I mean, who doesn't love free mana though it is a little conditional.
* Navigator's Compass, while a little on the fringe, is an ok little mana fixer.
* Sparring Construct won't be bad in +1/+1 counter decks.

This space for rent.

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 06:33:10 pm »
Navigator's Compass is more broken than land fixing.  Use it to give an opponent any land type before you attack, landwalk becomes relevant again...

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 06:34:05 pm »
Use it in Grixis High Tide
Nils is the God I worship

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 05:35:29 am »
Navigator's Compass is more broken than land fixing.  Use it to give an opponent any land type before you attack, landwalk becomes relevant again...

Small problem...it says "target land YOU control".

Edit- Spelling is not my friend.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 05:39:56 am by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 04:33:14 pm »
I don't normally go through the entire spoilers but some interesting stuff.. With some things already said lets look at a few cards.

Urza's Ruinous Blast is a crazy board wipe especially in EDH

Benalish Marshal is a good card but casting for 3 white is very tough and specific making it harder to cast in multicolor decks.

Haphazard Bombardment ummm ok so eventually you destroy 3 permanents for 6 mana and you only destroy 1 during your end step. So dropping this on turn 6 to possibly destroy 3 permanents with aim counters on them by the end of turn 8? However it does carry that merit of destroying some ones best creature right off the bat. It could become more usefull if it is blinked or copied.

Settle the Score at sorcery speed and an uncommon it is a really good card. Exile target creature and put 2 loyalty counters on a planeswalker. You can't ask for much more for a 4 drop

Whisper, Blood Liturgist an uncommon commander with recursion that you can have fun with. If not one heck of a sac outlet for Meren.
Tap, Sacrifice two creatures: Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.

Gruun, the Lonely King and give this thing trample along with kicking it and you will have a massive beater swinging for 20. Somehow play this and toss rancor on it makes it 24 trample damage instead.. High casting cost but boy what a beater
4 GG (4 colorless and 2 green)
Legendary Creature - Ape Warrior
Kicker 3 (You may pay an additional 3 as you cast this spell.)
If Gruun, the Lonely King was kicked, it enters the battlefield with five +1/+1 counters on it.
Whenever Gruun attacks alone, double its power and toughness until end of turn.

Deep Freeze this for 3 mana to turn any creature into a 0/4 wall that loses all abilities is specific but boy it will take care of that beater previously mentioned

Sylvan Awakening  can make an all out attack on your opponent. All lands you control become 2/2 Elemental creatures with reach, indestructible, and haste. They're still lands.

Fall of the Thran  Oh boy land destruction.. (As this Saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice afters III.)
I - Destroy all lands.
II, III - Each player returns two land cards from their graveyard to the battlefield.
Granted you get to return up to 4 lands but destroying mana bases is definitely BOOM!

Damping Sphere is insane because of the ability If a land is tapped for two or more mana, it produces ◊ instead of any other type and amount.
Each spell a player casts costs 1 more to cast for each other spell that player has cast this turn. Only cost 2 colorless and its an artifact. Nuts I say

Forebear's Blade is nuts to, long as attacking creature dies you get to equip it to another creature or should I say attach it for free.  It is 3 to cast
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature gets +3/+0 and has vigilance and trample.
Whenever equipped creature dies, attach Forebear's Blade to target creature you control.
Equip 3

I won't speak much on the legendary creatures and stuff, the gold border ones but this set is to me anyway very powerful in lots of ways

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 06:39:29 pm by robort »
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 05:58:16 pm »
Tried to pick out the card of each color that while maybe not the best card in each color, piqued my interest.

Dauntless Bodyguard - protection from board wipes for a creature of your choice; in commander this could see a lot of play as protection. Also can serve as a chump blocker if your commander is exiled.

Merfolk Trickster - with flash this is insane. Cast it before combat on your opponents turn to tap down a threat or on your turn to tap down a blocker.

Rat Colony - Pack Rats lite essentially.

Varix Bladewing - probably not the best card in red but to met it's interesting due to the second creature it gives you. Two flying 4/4's for 4 mana is pretty decent.

Corrosive Ooze - If you have a way to flash this out, this can ruin Voltron strategies.

Muldrotha, the Gravetide- Insane! Casting a card of each type from your graveyard on each turn? Sidisi may have some competition for general of my Sultai deck.

Helm of the Host- Already mentioned a few others (don't think I mentioned this one and too lazy to scroll up and see), but with the right commander this could be insane. Imagine this in a Nicol Bolas deck.
This space for rent.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 06:18:06 pm »
Rat Colony is Relentless Rats, with some downside and upside over the original

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 06:28:51 pm »
Rat Colony is Relentless Rats, with some downside and upside over the original

That's what I meant, not sure why I said Pack Rats.
This space for rent.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 07:19:17 pm »
I also disagree with it replacing Sidisi, she's a top tier commander for a reason, she kicks ass. The commander may replace Kess tho. Seems better in every way, and has green instead of red