deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Need help on my RW Angel deck  (Read 178 times)

AngelofSlaughter

• Decks
Need help on my RW Angel deck
« on: March 17, 2018, 08:27:25 pm »
https://deckstats.net/decks/94002/940822-rw-nahiri-s-angels

I really love angels, but i dont know how to make them and their high mana costs worth.
I made this deck mostly with my collection but i'm open to get more cards, if their not to pricey. Also i don't have any idea what to put in a good modern sideboard.
I would love to get some help for that deck as I play to play it in our local modern tournemants.
Thank you for your attention!
(sry for my bad english)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:37:38 pm by AngelofSlaughter »

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
Re: Need help on my RW Angel deck
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 02:27:31 am »
Hey there!

With the cards in your collection you've made the right choices for a deck. As it is it would be fine for casual play. (However I would suggest more wrath effects until you have enough mana for your angels)  Have a look at the example below.

I made this, to show what you can expect from a competitive modern deck.

//Main
2 Angelsong
2 Blessed Alliance
3 Boros Charm
3 Lightning Helix
3 Path to Exile
3 Sweltering Suns

//Angels
3 Archangel of Tithes
2 Baneslayer Angel
2 Bruna, the Fading Light
1 Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
3 Gisela, the Broken Blade
2 Linvala, Keeper of Silence

//Planeswalker
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
2 Nahiri, the Harbinger

//Creatures
3 Eidolon of Rhetoric

//Lands
4 Arid Mesa
2 Inspiring Vantage
6 Mountain
2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
6 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry

//Sideboard
SB: 2 Blood Moon
SB: 1 Blood Sun
SB: 2 Deflecting Palm
SB: 3 Leyline of Sanctity
SB: 1 Linvala, the Preserver
SB: 2 Rest in Peace
SB: 2 Stony Silence
SB: 2 Wear // Tear

Angels are a midrange deck, and whilst it is a slow deck, it is possible with the right cards. The deck above focuses on protecting you early game, whilst you generate the mana needed to cast turn 4-7 angels. So damage prevention, and targeted removal mixed with boardwipe deck tech. If its unnecessary you can cycle a few of those cards.

I've included more control based cards in the sideboard.
Sideboards, you can think of them as tool kits. Cards you can use to gain an advantage over your opponent in the next game. An example: your opponent uses artefacts, so you side in Wear // Tear and maybe Stony Silence to stop them activating abilities of artefacts; for example (Engineered Explosives)
You have Blood Moon and Blood Sun to stop multiple colour decks from mana fixing. Or preventing them from activating abilities like a Celestial Colonnade.

I hope this gives you some ideas for your deck.

AngelofSlaughter

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 02:58:51 pm »
Thank you for that long post!
I have a few questions:
Wouldn't be dawn charm better then Angelsong? Or is the cycling abilitie better then the counterspell?
Are their some more budget lands then those you chose?
Also i dont get the idea of the eidolon as it also makes it harder for me to clear your opponents minions, why is it worth it?
Why the combination of Blood SUn and Moon, wouldn't be three moons better?
I will take your deck as an ispiration but I need to make it more budget.

Edit: would be a Aurelia, the Warleader  better then Gisela, Blade of Goldnight? Gisela is awesome with cards like boros charm but  Aurelia, the Warleader is an awesome combination with nahiri.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 03:02:39 pm by AngelofSlaughter »

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 08:37:37 pm »
Thank you for that long post!
I have a few questions:
Wouldn't be dawn charm better then Angelsong? Or is the cycling abilitie better then the counterspell?
Are their some more budget lands then those you chose?
Also i dont get the idea of the eidolon as it also makes it harder for me to clear your opponents minions, why is it worth it?
Why the combination of Blood SUn and Moon, wouldn't be three moons better?
I will take your deck as an ispiration but I need to make it more budget.

Edit: would be a Aurelia, the Warleader  better then Gisela, Blade of Goldnight? Gisela is awesome with cards like boros charm but  Aurelia, the Warleader is an awesome combination with nahiri.

Okay, so I'll try to answer as much as possible.

Dawn Charm is a good card. I would say that over Angelsong it has more choices. However, it is mostly a matter of preference. Sometimes it is better to draw another card.

Budget lands, yes there are. I only used that deck as a competitive example. You don't have to use those cards. However, I would stay away from lands that come into play tapped, or colourless lands. (They will slow you down, preventing you from casting for a turn, or prevent you from having the right colour mana to cast spells.) The Battlefield Forge is a good choice, it is what magic players call pain lands. As you take one damage to activate its ability. Inspiring Vantage is a reasonable price, and perhaps check lands such as Clifftop Retreat. The next set Dominaria will have it, so the price will drop.

Eidolon of Rhetoric is there because it will slow down your opponents. You will probably not play multiple spells per turn, because of the high mana cost of your angels. In a storm deck, a player casts multiple spells in a single turn in order to use Grapeshot to deal lethal damage to you turn 3-4. Eidolon of the Rhetoric stops that tactic. Usually, Eidolon of Rhetoric is seen in a sideboard, but can be useful in the mainboard for this deck.

If you want to wrath your opponent's tokens then you usually do so in your turn. Flamebreak, Anger of the Gods, Sweltering Suns are all sorcery speed. You don't really need to cast multiple spells, just slow down the game until you can cast your creatures.

Honestly, you can use x3 Blood Moon (It is also expensive, but worth it.) I chose to add one Blood Sun because when it comes into play you get to draw a card, so it gives you an extra card, whilst its ability stops players from using (fetch lands) like Arid Mesa, Marsh Flats, Wooded Foothills. Also prevents them from animating lands like Shambling Vent, Wandering Fumarole. It's just extra diversity.

Aurelia, the Warleader is okay. But it isn't better than Gisela, Blade of Goldnight. (You should ask other members to be sure)
You may get an extra combat phase, but you need to have multiple creatures on the field. Besides, there are many ways to stop Nahiri before she can use her ability.
For a 6 mana creature in Modern you should expect at least 5-8 dmg for the cost. 3/4 is too low, despite the multiple combat phases.
You can still include it in your deck, and test it. It does work well with Nahiri, the Harbinger, but like I said, you need to protect yourself early game until you can use Nahiri's ultimate (-8)

Gisela, Blade of Goldnight is a 5/5 for 7 but her abilities make up for it. She also has great synergy with Nahiri, giving her haste, and if she deals combat damage that is 10 dmg (double) to a creature or player. (This includes other creatures and spells - Boros Charm will deal 8 dmg to a player!) Gisela second ability will also limit damage dealt to you or creatures you control, which means that cards like Lightning Bolt will do 2 dmg instead of 3 dmg. Which means, that your opponent will need to use targeted removal like Murder to remove your creatures.

I hope that gives you some ideas!

Kind regards,

Mnemosyne.