deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Modern New UR with DOM - Comments  (Read 663 times)

Comment Bot

Modern New UR with DOM - Comments
« on: March 29, 2018, 07:20:29 pm »
Modern New UR with DOM

This topic has been created automatically to discuss this deck.
Dieses Thema wurde automatisch erstellt, um dieses Deck zu diskutieren.

orestus

• Decks
Re: Modern New UR with DOM - Comments
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 07:20:35 pm »
Nice idea, we got 8 bolts and 4 pure counterspell here!

dizzyOfishel

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 07:20:50 am »
Personally, I would take out Grim Lavamancer and add Snapcaster Mage.
~Spells are only as powerful as the mages who cast them.~
~Luck? Perhaps. But more often, I dare to say, luck is simply the advantage a true mage gains in executing the correct course of action.~
~Luck will save a man often enough, should his courage hold.~

dizzyOfishel

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 07:23:01 am »
I would also run Opt over Serum Visions. Gives you the option to cast it on your turn for prowess trigger if blocking is needed. I would drop Swiftspear also and run 4 Stormchaser.

This deck has some serious potential.
~Luck? Perhaps. But more often, I dare to say, luck is simply the advantage a true mage gains in executing the correct course of action.~

iamluciana

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 10:20:41 am »
@dizzyOfishel
Taking out Grim Lavamancer for Snapcaster Mage isn't the best choice in my opinion:
Snapcaster Mage can only Recast Bolts, Remands or Serum Visions for two more mana in an environment where I am supposed to live just fine with 3 lands. I think it may be a good choice only in a more counter environment where Remand is replaced by Mana Leak and where I don't need to go as aggressive as this deck. Snapcaster Mage can also deal only 3 more damage while Grim Lavamancer can probably deal 2 damage every turn at a very cheap cost.
To let Snapcaster Mage in I think deck might be a bit changed, what else would you change because of it? I prefer it this way anyway :)
Thanks for helping!
All 5 colors are beautiful but the duo I like most is Izzet :)

iamluciana

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 10:24:03 am »
Also about your second comment: Opt was always in my mind, i prefered Serum Visions to scry 2 and to cast it on T1, but I will seriously consider using Opt. Stormchaser Mage is really good and yes, I can bring 4 of in but I'm not sure about the 2 mana cost. A valid alternative for Monastery Swiftspear can be  Soul-Scar Mage ! It can be good versus bigger creatures. Actually a different version can be: replace a Jace, Vryn's Prodigy with another Stormchaser Mage and switch Monastery Swiftspear with Soul-Scar Mage, What do you think?

dizzyOfishel

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 03:58:25 am »
I agree very much with Soul-Scar Mage. I guess my thought process was to optimize the cards that use the "wizard" ability, I would drop the creatures that aren't and run more of a "tribal" deck. Also, Snapcaster Mage might be good late game! When you have mana built up. It won't be good turn 3 or 4, unless you need a bolt or opt at that time. I wouldn't replace Jace, Vryn's Prodigy though.. Card draw and a planeswalker is a nice advantage. I also don't think that having more Stormchaser Mage is a bad thing. 2 mana is pretty light for casting cost. Flying and haste is pretty powerful in this format with this deck. Very fast damage output. Last thought- A Snapcaster Mage to any spell may be enough to trigger prowess for extra damage and a win, i.e.: swing with Stormchaser, goes unblocked, Snapcaster a bolt for 3 dmg, Stormchaser gets +1/1 for another 2 damage, etc. I was leaning on the fact that Snapcaster is a Mage to fit the "tribal" spells and that it may create opportunity for prowess triggers. Always nice to cast a spell a second time too! :)

dizzyOfishel

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 03:59:48 am »
I would also probably side board the Soul-Scar Mage. Personally.

AIRchrist

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 07:01:17 pm »
The lack of Snapcasters is criminal and the inclusion of Swifty makes no sense. Also, why would you run Ancestral Vision over Opt, since you can't reliably count on them? You're a reactive deck looking to abuse the Wizard tribal spells and graveyard. Not a bad start, but this list really needs to be hammered out. Still, good work and I'm a big fan of Stormchaser. There might be a place in a wizards/spell list for Bedlam Reveler, but that might take some different building considerations.

I've been testing a similar list, to good results. So I'd say there's something to Wizards moving forward. I'm linking my list, for any of you that are interested.

https://deckstats.net/decks/37081/942627-dom-wizzies?saved=1&lng=en

iamluciana

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 11:23:26 am »
I finally added 2x Snapcaster, I'm not sure on going 4x because of lack of aggro. The idea is not a wizard tribal but a transposition of UR Delver from Legacy to Modern. Running Ancestral Vision because drawing 3 when you have 3/4 mana and you fetched Twice and got Prowess on board with cheap spells is extremely good. Added Soul-Scar Mage in Sideboard to deal with Eldrazi and similars.

FSUdank

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 06:20:10 pm »
I think Adeliz, the cinder wind would be great in this deck