deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Whiteout - Comments  (Read 251 times)

Comment Bot

Whiteout - Comments
« on: April 06, 2018, 01:19:11 am »
Whiteout

This topic has been created automatically to discuss this deck.
Dieses Thema wurde automatisch erstellt, um dieses Deck zu diskutieren.

Guildrum

• Decks
Re: Whiteout - Comments
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 01:19:14 am »
I could use some help with this deck.  I am looking to build it to play against my friends who mostly play go tall EDH voltrons (like Bruna) and a few go wide with tribals like goblins, vampires and such.  I am new to EDH so I could use some help with combos and let me know if I have enough draw or do I need to add more tutors.  Do I have enough cancel/counters or too many.  Do I have the right general to fit my goal for this deck.  Thank you for your time.

Guildrum

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 01:22:22 am »
Oh and I picked Mono White because others in my group don't really play it and never go Mono White EDH, maybe it's because Mono White isn't very good or whatever.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 07:33:18 am »
First off ... Welcome to EDH  :)

Mono-white is often regarded as the best mono-color for EDH.  It has answers to almost everything.  AND it has great threats, which will make your opponents need answers.

The official Commander rules are that your commander must be a legendary CREATURE.  Planeswalkers are not allowed, except for the few that specifically have rules text stating that they can be.  If your playgroup allows it, then great.  But don't expect to be able to take this deck outside of your playgroup and expect it to be allowed.  I would suggest having a legal option ready so that you can swap it out.

You deck looks very good.  Although I'm not sure what the strategy is behind Gideon Jura being your commander.  So I'm not really going to critique specific card selection at this point.

The biggest suggestion I would have for you is that you need some more mana ramp.  I only counted five, and one of them is Caged Sun, which costs 6 mana.  I would suggest at least 4 more.  Maybe even as many as 12 total non-land mana sources.  There are things like Land Tax or Gift of Estates, things like Pearl Medallion or Thran Dynamo, and things like Armillary Sphere and Wayfarer's BaubleSolemn Simulacrum is a favorite too.

Your total land count is about right.  Mono-white does like a lot of plains, as most things only fetch basics.  But one of your ramp spells is Weathered Wayfarer.  He can get ANY land.  Feel free to add a few more non-basics.  I run Myriad Landscape and Temple of the False God in just about every mono deck that I build.  Arcane Lighthouse will let you Swords a hexproof thing.  I usually run at least one of the cycling lands (Secluded Steppe) in a mono deck; sometimes more.

Hope this helps.

Happy Brewing  :)
Happy Brewing!
:)

Guildrum

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 09:32:50 am »
Thank you for suggestions, much appreciated!  I will make the mana ramp and non-basic adjustments for sure, any suggestions on what to remove. 

I chose Gideon Jura for removal to fight against the go wide tribal decks like vampires and goblins, I want something to trim down the tokens so they don't get out of control.  If there is a commander better at doing this please let me know.

Best regards,
Guildrum
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 09:40:21 am by Guildrum »

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 04:51:51 pm »
Spot removal on your commander is ok. But against token strategies, it isn't going to be very effective.  It's also a minus ability on Gideon Jura, rather than a plus.  So you won't even be able to do it every turn.

Mageta the Lion is a great legendary creature for mass removal.

I like to pick a commander that does something to help my deck, rather than to hurt my opponents (unless of course that is what my deck is doing :)  Then I put the removal cards into my deck.  White has lots of removal cards.

My favorite mono-white commander is Radiant Archangel.  She seems so innocuous at first.  Then you pack your deck full of flying creatures.  They don't even need to be angels.  She even gets bigger when your opponents get flyers.

Happy Brewing!

Guildrum

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 05:16:28 pm »
Thank you again for your continued input. I have an "Avacyn, Angel of Hope" and a "Heliod, God of the Sun" what are your thoughts on them as a commander? 

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 07:36:24 pm »
Of those two, Avacyn is certainly more powerful.  But running Avacyn will typically draw all the hate from your opponents.  Be prepared for everyone else vs you.  And at 8 mana, you certainly don't want to cast her until you can protect her and/or you're ready to win the game.  Heliod is certainly more low-key.  You can drop him early and he's fairly innocuous.  Being indestructible will make him tougher to deal with.  But if you pack your deck with lifelinkers, double/first-strikers, deathtouchers, etc they will be bigger threats than the thing giving out vigilance.  That is the kind of commander I like (much like Radiant).  Given the choice of Heliod or Avacyn, I would go with Heliod.  But it is a personal choice.  it is really about what do you want to build your deck around.

Happy Brewing!

Guildrum

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 03:50:02 am »
I will also pick up a "Radiant Archangel" and see how she will play with some white flyers I have, you've given me some insight on the political part of EDH that I didn't give much thought to until now.  Once again thank you for your advise. 
Best regards,
Guildrum