deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] Midrange Managorger  (Read 314 times)

mmonede

• Decks
[Modern] Midrange Managorger
« on: May 11, 2018, 03:58:10 pm »
Midrange Managorger

MonoGreen Aggro / Midrange deck.

Hits in the initial turns with Strangleroot Geist and Skinshifter, while trying to cast & protect a Managorger Hydra for a late-turn win.

Swiftfoot Boots protects the hydras, together with Vines of Vastwood. And Hardened Scales makes them grow quicker.

Rancor & Loxodon Warhammer give Scute Mob & Chameleon Colossus the needed trample.

Removal with Ulvenwald Tracker & Nature's Way.

(all cards kept under $3)

Comments & suggestions are more than welcome.

xXxChris

• Decks
Re: [Modern] Midrange Managorger
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 04:53:10 pm »
I think the deck idea is pretty nice. What about a BG or BW build with Winding Constrictor or Dromoka's Command or even GWB with anafenza, the foremost?

There are a lot of other nice cards like avatar of the resolute, Scavenging Ooze, nissa voice of zendikar or rishkar peema renegade which could fit pretty well.

Also Walking Ballista + Hangarback Walker + Arcbound Ravager can be pretty good maybe.

Especially Walking Ballista is extremly flexible.

The problem is that managorger Hydra can't deal with larger threats like Tarmogoyf and delve creatures good enough because it's too slow. I would try to play more aggro also because managorger hydra gives your opponent a lot of opportunities to deal with it like Path to exile or fatal push.

mmonede

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 01:16:06 am »
Thank you so much for the comments.

I wanted initially to make it mono-green, but I'll give some thought to the extra colors.

Winding Constrictor provides an extra creature, but Hardened Scales is cheaper to cast, harder to kill, and doesn't pose a risk for infect.

I'll definitely test a Rishkar, Peema Renegade and see how it does (I have it on my EDH deck)

I like all your other suggestions, but in my group play we have a rule to enhance homebrewing - only cards less than a certain price are allowed (2 euro, around $2,5 - shop prices). It limits your options, but encourages you to find alternatives. That's why the deck is so cheap.

I'm afraid this rules out all of them. Dromoka's Command would have been great instead of Nature's Way though. I'll wait and see if it drops a bit and maybe move to GW.

Again, thanks a lot for all the suggestions.

Warden of Silence

• Weeb, comic nerd, theater geek, also hella cute
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 02:46:49 am »
Hi.

So I like the deck theme. And the idea of keeping the cost of each card under $3 for your playgroup. That definitely leads to interesting deck building.

My biggest suggestion is adding more copies of your key cards. You have a lot of single copies in your deck, which ultimately lowers your consistency. I would take out the cards that you think are the least critical while putting in more copies of the cards your deck really values.

The next suggestion is adding in mana dorks. Elvish Mystic and Llanowar Elves are cheap and efficient cards that will allow you to get your other cards out faster.

I'd also like to share some other Hydras you might like. Polukranos, World Eater is powerful and is capable of wiping your opponent's board state. Mistcutter Hydra is easy to cast just by dumping mana and can swing in immediately.

I hope my suggestions have been of some help to you. Good luck with your deck!
Symmetrical effects are fair.