deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Braids and Friends - Deck Help!  (Read 724 times)

soulslayer08

• Keep moving forward!
  • Decks
[EDH / Commander] Braids and Friends - Deck Help!
« on: May 17, 2018, 09:01:44 am »
Braids and Friends

Hi Guys,

I am newbie casual player in EDH. My first modern deck revolves around Quest for Ula's Temple. I love big seafood creatures and would like to incorporate it to Braids, Conjurer Adept as my first mono u commander deck. This was given to me by one of my playgroup members and I have tweaked it by adding control spells. I would want it to be competitive and at the same time fun to play with.

Also, I like my winning goal to be fairly simple which is stomping my opponents with big creatures. I am open for other suggestions though :)

Thank you for all the help.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Braids and Friends - Deck Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 05:53:52 pm »
I am a big fan of blue aggro Commander decks.  They are very fun to play and somewhat unexpected.

Blue is very bad at mana ramping.  I would recommend running at least 34 lands (so 2 more).  Unless, of course, your play experience with this deck says that you don't have any mana troubles with only 32 land.  Card draw can get you a lot of consistency.  For mono decks, I am not a fan of Evolving Wilds.  Thinning my deck by one land usually does not compensate for that land hitting the field tapped.  I am a fan of Temple of the False God, Myriad Landscape, and Rogue's Passage.  I also like, for mono decks, the cycling lands - Lonely Sandbar and Remote Isle in your case.

You have a good amount of mana rocks, but I might suggest some others that might be better for a mono-blue deck running big mana creatures - Sol Ring, Thran Dynamo, Gilded Lotus, Sapphire Medallion.  Maybe a Thought Vessel.

I would suggest Jalira, Master Polymorphist to help get your big dudes onto the battlefield.

As for cards that can be cut ... What is Paradox Haze doing for you?  Does your playgroup have a lot of cumulative upkeep going on?  Does having Telepathy out really help?

Happy Brewing!  :)
Happy Brewing!
:)

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 06:37:38 pm »
https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/chain-veil-teferi/
This has all the mono blue ramp you'll ever need ;D
Nils is the God I worship

poke6809

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 07:55:23 pm »
Look up Omniscience.  Then add it.
Companion mechanic finally brought XYZ's and Synchros to MtG, just what we needed. (they changed it because after literally killing every format they realized their design was horrible)

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 08:28:16 pm »
I would run every board wipe or playable pseudo board wipe that blue has, because Braids has the issue of helping your opponents. Also Paradox Haze is nice
Nils is the God I worship

soulslayer08

• Keep moving forward!
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 06:34:54 am »
I am a big fan of blue aggro Commander decks.  They are very fun to play and somewhat unexpected.

Blue is very bad at mana ramping.  I would recommend running at least 34 lands (so 2 more).  Unless, of course, your play experience with this deck says that you don't have any mana troubles with only 32 land.  Card draw can get you a lot of consistency.  For mono decks, I am not a fan of Evolving Wilds.  Thinning my deck by one land usually does not compensate for that land hitting the field tapped.  I am a fan of Temple of the False God, Myriad Landscape, and Rogue's Passage.  I also like, for mono decks, the cycling lands - Lonely Sandbar and Remote Isle in your case.

You have a good amount of mana rocks, but I might suggest some others that might be better for a mono-blue deck running big mana creatures - Sol Ring, Thran Dynamo, Gilded Lotus, Sapphire Medallion.  Maybe a Thought Vessel.

I would suggest Jalira, Master Polymorphist to help get your big dudes onto the battlefield.

As for cards that can be cut ... What is Paradox Haze doing for you?  Does your playgroup have a lot of cumulative upkeep going on?  Does having Telepathy out really help?

Happy Brewing!  :)

Thank you for your inputs. Paradox Haze is used for another upkeep as for Telepathy, I'm thinking of changing it to Teferi's Veil. I am not yet used to reading my friend's cards since I am not familiar with how they play and what the cards do.

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/chain-veil-teferi/
This has all the mono blue ramp you'll ever need ;D

For the mana ramp, I already bought Gilded Lotus and Thran Dynamo, I am still undecided on which cards to replace.

soulslayer08

• Keep moving forward!
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 06:37:52 am »
Look up Omniscience.  Then add it.

I am still contemplating to buy this cards as I have a budget constraint as of now. I'll keep this card a sideboard or probably create a proxy card for the meantime so I'll see how it play. Thanks for the suggestion.

I would run every board wipe or playable pseudo board wipe that blue has, because Braids has the issue of helping your opponents. Also Paradox Haze is nice

I haven't had the luck yet to draw Paradox Haze. Though, it's a good thing to add for another upkeep. My next list for boardwipes are as follows - Cyclonic Rift, Ixidron, Evacuation and Boompile
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 06:41:30 am by soulslayer08 »

DerJemand

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 11:09:24 am »
My first thougts were adding a Darksteel Colossus as a staying fatty, changing Divination to Serum Visions and adding a Staff of Nin for more card draw.
Any big Eldrazi is also very strong if you can cheat them in with Braids, even the common or uncommon ones like Pathrazer of Ulamog and Ulamog's Crusher.

soulslayer08

• Keep moving forward!
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 10:25:17 am »
Thank you guys for all the suggestion. I took notes all of it though I still have some budget constraints. But anyhow, here is my version 2 of my braids. I have played this with my playgroup and so far, I  am happy with the result. Not yet a winning deck though it is fun to play with now compared to the first version especially during multiplayer games.

Remove Cards

-1 Augury Owl   
-1 Divination   
-1 Evolving Wilds   
-1 Fleetfeather Sandals   
-1 Ghost Quarter   
-1 Grozoth   
-1 Kraken Hatchling   
-1 Pristine Talisman   
-1 Quest for Ula's Temple   
-1 Silver Myr   
-1 Spellbook