deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Best Blue Aggro Commander  (Read 348 times)

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
Best Blue Aggro Commander
« on: September 01, 2018, 02:51:01 pm »
Hey guys! Really want to put together a blue aggro/combat centric EDH deck, but I'm struggling to settle on a commander, and I could use some help deciding. I've narrowed it down to three options;

- Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive: By far the most efficient option, making a huge amount of the creatures I want to play unblockable for just two mana. However, Tetsuko does nothing to help really cool cards like Thada Adel, Acquisitor, and there's a necessity to KEEP my creatures small- so using cards like Hall of Triumph to close games out a little faster are a total nonbo.

- Thassa, God of the Sea: Thassa is kind of the best of both worlds. She's a super above-the-curve creature with natural resiliency, while also offering me the ability to push through unblocked damage and gives me some card filtering. But the vast majority of blue's good attacking creatures really need that unblockability to be effective, and two mana per creature is a fairly steep price to pay to push through two or three damage at a time. Plus, the deck is gonna have to be built on a pretty steep budget, so needing to pay a tenner for her hurts the wallet.

- Sun Quan, Lord of Wu: An oldie, but no less effective. Barring the most fringe of situations, Sun Quan makes any creature I happen to want to play unblockable, and as a 4/4 unblockable himself he's no slouch at closing out games. His big problem is cost; Six mana is a lot, and with no in-built protection if he dies I'm in a lot of trouble. It also makes attacking in the early game a chore, but it's worth considering that I can play anthem effects easily alongside both Sun Quan and Thassa to push through for extra points when they do finally start going.

I'm probably gonna end up including all of the cards at least in the 99, but I'm curious to see what people here think my best option is going forward to helm the deck!

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Best Blue Aggro Commander
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 04:45:38 pm »
Are you set on it being mono blue? If so, why?

(that might sound snarky but it's not meant that way, knowing the reasoning might help us answer your question a little better)
This space for rent.

BecauseIcan

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 06:57:06 pm »
I built Talrand, Sky Summoner as an aggro deck a while back. Using a lot of card draw, tutors and pumps to generate a lot of tokens; it swarmed out really hard for what it was.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 05:21:32 pm »
If you want to churn out big aggro creatures, Jalira, Master Polymorphist and Braids, Conjurer Adept make for some weird builds.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 03:25:53 pm »
I dont get why you want to use  Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive as commander. Yes, its not a bad card, but as commander? you are kinda limited to 1 power creatures and needs masses of them to kill your opponents quickly.
With a Commander like Arcades, the Strategist she would be a killer card, because you will get alot of unblockable trucks.

I would also suggest Braids, Conjurer Agent paired with some bounce spells and alot of good stuff. you cant abuse eldrazis that hard, because you dont cast them, but im sure your opponents will still love a 12/12 creature with anhilator at turn 5.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.