deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Looking for Improvement Advice on Boros Standard Build  (Read 206 times)

shawgreen

• Decks
Looking for Improvement Advice on Boros Standard Build
« on: October 02, 2018, 03:49:56 pm »
 :) Hi,  :)

Looking to build (hopefully) a vaguely competitive boros aggro standard deck post rotation. I am interested in thoughts on improvement. I guess particularly sideboard as I always struggle with that, but also to be honest the mainboard as I am not sure I am aware of all the options.

https://deckstats.net/decks/80588/1101004-charlies-angels

Thanks in advance !
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 04:38:17 pm by shawgreen »

bradcoish23

• Decks
Re: Looking for Improvement Advice on Boros Standard Build
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 07:42:34 pm »
I'm not a master deckbuilder or anything myself, but I will lay out some tips for you as best I can. I'll be pretty honest and blunt, but only to help.

1) Cut all the green, it is creating confusion in the deck. You are building a boros deck (by the looks of it primarily red).

2) Mana base tips:
*You can't play that mana base and play Goblin Chainwhirler. At most one land, maybe two,  that cannot produce red.
*Your curve goes up to 5, so you start with 25 lands. That is the norm (without playing cards that accelerate your mana).

*Here is a mana base better suited for your deck.
-Sacred Foundry x4, Clifftop Retreat x4, Boros Guildgate x4, Evolving Wilds x2, Plains x1, Mountains x10.

*Playing Guildgates is bad in standard, however if you want to play Goblin Chainwhirler and Lyra Dawnbringer in the same deck that requires at least 15 white sources of mana, and like i said to cast Chainwhirler turn three you want pretty much every land to provide red.

3) You are playing too many 3cmc creatures. Instead of playing the Skynight Legionnaire (it's not great) try playing x4 Chainwhirler, x4 Legion Warboss, and x2 Tajic (because it is legendary). That is still 10 3cmc creatures, but the are your best ones. ***If you find you are still drawing too many cut a Legion's Warboss.

4) One of your 1cmc creatures is very good and the other is pretty bad. Keep the Goblin Banneret because the mentor and pump is really good in your deck. Drop the Fire Shrine Keeper for something like Fanatical Firebrand or Ghitu Lavarunner (only Lavarunner if you play a lot of instants and sorceries, so Firebrand probably better here).

5) I was going to say cut the Demotion, but it serves a purpose. I'd play straight removal myself, but to each their own.

6) You are playing 12 "support cards", cut it to 8. What I mean is that these are cards such as removal or card draw that cannot attack (which is your decks main objective). Maybe try x2 Risk Factor, x2 Lava Coil, x4 Lightning Strike. The ability to damage the opponent with Lightning Strike is important for you as you are an aggressive deck and those 3 damage can finish a game.
*Seal Away is not as good in your deck as in other decks since you are the aggressor and you want to remove blockers.

7) As far as a sideboard, you do have some decent pieces. Shalai and Remorseful Cleric stay. Response is good, could be in the main deck instead. I'd play Settle the Wreckage or Defeaning Clarion in the sideboard as a sweeper...Wreckage is one-sided so probably better for you if you play against other aggro decks. banefire is great against control. Experimental Frenzy is a whacky card that can go off pretty big against slower decks. Conclave Tribunal is a nice catch all in the sideboard, that you can convoke in this deck. Finally, play a couple Shock to play against other aggro decks.

*The bones of the deck are really nice, it just needs some fine tuning. A good rule when building decks is to put together 28 cards first that fit the theme of your deck (creatures that pound face). These cards should be creatures or cards that help your creatures. Next add in 7/8 support cards (cards that give you card advantage-removal or card draw). Step 3 add your lands. Chainwhirler is a difficult one to do, but generally if you play a card that is 1RR then that requires 17 sources of red...it counts down by one source for each you go up the curve (2RR=16, 3RR=15,....)

*In the sideboard you want cards that answer particular threats or replace cards in your main deck that are weak aganst certain archetypes. What i mean by the second part is Lava Coil does nothing against control, so you need a card to replace for that matchup.

Hope any of this was helpful. Good luck with your deck.

shawgreen

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 08:00:07 pm »
Wow that's a very detailed answer thanks for that I will enjoy tweaking based on your advice. the only bit I don't quite follow is why a 1/1 with menace given mentor is a part of the deck is bad

shawgreen

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 09:21:00 pm »
@bradcoish23 Updated based on yours and other thoughts and advice - https://deckstats.net/decks/80588/1101004-charlies-angels

bradcoish23

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 01:41:48 pm »
Saying the Fire-Shrine Keeper is bad may be going too far, but at the same time it is not good. I get the logic of mentoring it, then you have a 2/2 or 3/3 with menace. Solid attacker then. What you really want is to either have haste or self pump with mentor. The haste is so good because you can play it after turn 1 and still have it be useful. If you play a Fanatical Firebrand on turn 4, then it can attack that turn and get a mentor trigger right away. The ability on the Fire-Shrine keeper may as well not exist at all, you are never getting to 8 mana in this deck (and if you do you are in trouble lol).

Some other cards to consider are:
Runaway Steam-Kin, it gets pretty big since pretty much every card you play is red and is a good late game payoff removing counters.
Experimental Frenzy- it's worth trying out instead of Risk Factor. When it goes off, it goes off big. Your curve may be too high right now for this card though, so maybe not.

P.S. The current deck you have built looks pretty solid. You should have some good results with this deck.