deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Casual] Duck's noob deck  (Read 299 times)

Duckypoos

• Decks
[Casual] Duck's noob deck
« on: October 04, 2018, 01:50:18 pm »
Duck's noob deck

my 1st deck...where have gone wrong?  where do I go next

Judaspriester

• Decks
Re: [Casual] Duck's noob deck
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 02:13:39 pm »
Hey,

first of all, its not bad for a casual deck. but to make it more efficient you should try to focus on a Strategy. For example the Guttersnipe: its a great creature, but you only got 8 instants/sorceries. You usually play him in decks with like 20 of them. Wizard's Lightning is another example. you only got 3 wizards, so the chances are low your able to play it for 1 Mana. I would have to check for examples, but im very sure, there are more interesting burn spells in the 3 mana section. Otherwise play Lightning Strike in stead. its does the same but you need "only" 1R in stead of 2R in bad cases now. Another option for 1 Mana would be Shock.

So take a look at your deck and search for synergies and a strategy. Put stuff in that fits and trow out other stuff that doesn't.
I know, this may sound hard for a beginner and some of the cards are maybe just placeholders until you get better stuff, but it's an important lesson to learn. My current project is rebuilding my EDH/Commander decks, because I got a similar problem: goodstuff > synergies.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 02:23:02 pm by Judaspriester »
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Duckypoos

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 02:19:56 pm »
Thanks! I was just uploading the other cards I have.  I do have 2 shock so I'll swap those in

MilMaster

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 11:33:32 am »
Hey Duckypoos,

your deck looks fun.

I had a blast looking at it. Especially since it reminded me of the days of magic back when I was still a lil man and was experiencing MTG for the first year full time and all my friends started trading cards and you would give up on a now somewhat 20 dollar card cause you were a kid and did not understand what the card would even do and why it would have an inportance in the game. (God i am sure i made some TERRIBLE trades back there) but I am getting off the point.

Well what I tried to show you above is: you are new to the game and man would I love to trade my experiences with you cause honestly this was the time magic was the most fun (probably also cause I was a kid back then and life was easy ^^)

So I understand what you are doing right now and I can try to give you advise :

General advise:
Always ask yourself what you wanna do in MTG.

Do you want to go to tournaments and play with somewhat people who take this game serious (up side the game you love is being taken serious downside: the game you love is taken serious ^^ reeeeally serious)
Or do you just want to sit with your friends at the kitchen table on a friday night and play with a couple a drinks a few carefree MTG games?

Depending on what you want to do there are two paths down the line for you :-)

If you wanna go  "pro" know that you will have to learn the rules (and those are a lot of rules like seriously whenever I thought I understood MTG i ended up well ... learning new stuff) learning the meta learning the formats and getting really good at the game.

But don t let that discourage you. In general the community is nice and you will always find a helping hand :)

IF you wanna stay casual and not spend too much on your decks / this game i reckon the general:

you and your friends should have a limit on how much a deck may cost when purchased ... if you don t do this it will end up like my group of friends where we rarely play because the differnce in the decks got too big and well ^^

Maybe try commander it is super fun to play and also  you can get the ready made decks (which are really good in my opinion) at a rather cheap price :)

buuuuut enough of that blabla ^^

About your deck:

Looks good ! those are some quality cards we are looking at here. But as Judaspriester already stated... the deck is lacking a bit of strategy.

Questions to ask when building a deck:
1. am I willing to invest some money in the deck or do i want to build it from the cards I already have?

Well it will be impossible to give much of an advise with the amount of cards you currently posses. If you don t want to spend money on new cards playsets (having the same card 4 times) your resources are very limited.
If you are willing to invest into some cards you can go to point 2.

2. Strategy:
What do I want to play?
There are thousands of deck ideas that revolve around a theme or an idea ... f.e. Guttersnipe has something called a mechanic ... if you want to build a deck around guttersnipe you will most likely want to play a lot of instants and sorceries right? After all you make most of this creature if you play a lot of instants ans sorcs. There are also other creature in the color red that go really well with instants and sorceries Monastery swiftspear ... now if you look at those cards you will see that they are quite cheap in mana cost ... you may wanna consider a rush down deck (deck that ends thigns quickly)

Another alternative would be to simply go big or "Ramp". This is a strategy that uses cards like Llanowar elves or elvish rejuvinator will help you generate mana quick so imagine the following: you play llanowar elves on turn one (and a land), turn 2 you play 2 more llanowar elves (and a land) and on turn 3 you drop the aggressive mammoth ... that would be sweet right?

I think you see where I am going with this

3. Check online:
See if someone already built a deck like the one you wanna play or a similar one.and see if you can get some ideas (there will always be people on the internet smarter than you)

4. finalize:
have someone you know or trust (maybe even your local shop owner) look over it and have fund playing it :)

if you wanna hear more or have questions feel free to dm me :)

Spooky regards
Milmaster