deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Zur the Apostle - Comments  (Read 212 times)

Comment Bot

Zur the Apostle - Comments
« on: October 08, 2018, 05:31:59 pm »
Zur the Apostle

This topic has been created automatically to discuss this deck.
Dieses Thema wurde automatisch erstellt, um dieses Deck zu diskutieren.

nickelphoenix

• Casual EDH player studying the ways of Witch-Maw.
  • Decks
Re: Zur the Apostle - Comments
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 05:32:01 pm »
This concept just occurred to me this morning after posting a major crash and burn fail over the weekend with trying to gear this up with Aminatou, the fateshifter as commander.

The plan with her was to use the original six Apostle's to go fetch -> Rune-Scarred Demon then use Aminatou's flicker ability to pull either Athreos, God of Passage or Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker AND Faith's Reward on the same turn. But I gave up, because there is no other opening play. It's always going to be the same thing every game and it's very difficult because there is NO protecting the apostles before you collect and self-destruct the original six. So your opponents would prepare for it and just pick off your apostles every game before you can collect the original six.

It does make A LOT more sense with ZUR however because you can tutor Athreos so easily. I AM SO GLAD YOU POSTED THIS! IT does work brilliantly with ZUR, and adds a shade of blue in the Apostle game.

I had built a pretty crazy Esper Apostle Engine. I deleted my damn decklist but I can try and put it back together from memory and share if you'd like. :)

Thanks again for posting! THIS IS AWESOME!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 06:55:36 pm by nickelphoenix »

nickelphoenix

• Casual EDH player studying the ways of Witch-Maw.
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 05:50:20 pm »
I was also running Harvester of Souls, and Blood Artist like you. I had side boarded Grim Haruspex and Zulaport Cutthroat in case i needed to get more draw and more life. I had also decided to go with Phyrexian Altar. I was running Pitiless Plunderer along with the Altar for more ramp. I was also running Crawlspace, Fog Bank, and Guard Gomazoa, as a defensive front to let me build my engine in peace. I was also running only the minimum 4 demons to fulfill the obligations of Liliana's Contract. Harvester of Souls, Razaketh, Rune-Scarred Demon, and Demon of Dark Schemes.

It was very similar in a lot of ways. :)

And ... uhhh ya ... FYI. You can run Aminatou, the fateshifter in the 99 in this deck and if all goes to hell and you have horrible luck, you can -6 her in the late game and stick people with a crapload of apostles! ;) And she could also double as a tutor engine on her -1 targeting Sidisi, Undead Vizier or Rune-Scarred Demon.

I have only come up with two strategies that fully maximise both her abilities and neither of which are with her as the commander... There is the Apostle deck that I just explained above. And you could also use here in a Breya deck as part of an end game combo, where you go infinite mana, sacrifice all your artifacts to Breya deal a crapload of damage and then -6 Aminatou, to steal other people’s board.

She’s a great planeswalker in the 99. But I have yet to find any real significant solid strategy with her as commander.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:40:39 pm by nickelphoenix »

sormokah

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 08:30:44 am »
I'd love to see your list, nickel.  My list is still a heavy work in progress, but any inspiration would be great.