deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Rats! it's another EDH deck - Comments  (Read 202 times)

Comment Bot

Rats! it's another EDH deck - Comments
« on: November 27, 2018, 10:17:49 am »
Rats! it's another EDH deck

This topic has been created automatically to discuss this deck.
Dieses Thema wurde automatisch erstellt, um dieses Deck zu diskutieren.

Judaspriester

• Decks
Re: Rats! it's another EDH deck - Comments
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 10:17:56 am »
Hey,

first of all, interesting idea playing with Damia as commander for a rat deck. ;)

I've got some questions/suggestions for you.

First of all, the mana base:
Why are you plaing Farseek? Don't get me wrong, i like that card, but i see no reason to play it while you just have basic lands. I would replace it with Sakura Tribe Elder (he also fetches you a basic land and works as early blocker) or add lands like Sunken Hollow or dualshocks (Breeding Pool etc).
The same goes for Voyaging Satyr. Thats a creature I would only play if i can get more than 1 mana out of a land (which is kinda difficult for you). Unless you got Crypt Gast out, Urborg Elf would be a much better option.
Even on a Budget like now you could cut a Island and Forest and add Tainted Isle and Tainted Forest in stead. With your amount of swamps it shouldn't be a problem to get 1 of them out.
Then i would add the full set of Lockets/Cluestones, or replace them with Signets for some additional mana ramp.

About your creatures:
Are you sure about Trinket Mage and Trophy Mage? you only got 1 Target for Trinket and 2 for Trophy. Even if the Targets are nice to have, they dont seem to be essential enough to add tutors for that special targets.
Then, what about Ratcatcher? Yes, hes expensive mana wise, but he fetches you a rat colony every turn.
Marrow-Gnawer could be another interesting addition for your deck. With your amount of Rats on the battlefield, you could flood the board even more. Besides that, the Rat Colony also scales with rat tokens.

About your spells:
In stead of Muder you could play Curtains' Call. With 3 opponents it has the same effective cmc than murder, but you can kill 2 creatures in stead of one.
Naturalize and Krosan Grip could be very interesting in case you need more Enchantment/Artifact hate.
If you want to make your Rats even stronger, Coat of Arms would be a very interesting option. With 10 Rat Colonies on the battlefield, the coat would boost them up to 20/10.
What about an discard outlet, to generate more value with Damia? Dreamscape Artist and Silverglade Pathfinder could be interesting options, since they help you ramping and thin your deck out.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

dealda

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 02:44:19 pm »
Hey, I dont`t think 33 lands are enough. I would go with 37-39.

Adaptive Automaton , Ashnod`sAltar and Herald`s Horn are good options with can be fetched with Trophy Mage.
I would swap one Colony Rat with Pack Rat, since he can get strong very quick .
Bad Moon , Oversold Cemertery and Beastmaster Ascencion all make the Rats more resilient.
Gray Merchant of Asphodel and Torment of Hailfire (combined with Ashnod`s Altar ) are great finishers.

Greetings

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 03:05:05 pm »
Hey, I dont`t think 33 lands are enough. I would go with 37-39.

Adaptive Automaton , Ashnod`sAltar and Herald`s Horn are good options with can be fetched with Trophy Mage.
I would swap one Colony Rat with Pack Rat, since he can get strong very quick .
Bad Moon , Oversold Cemertery and Beastmaster Ascencion all make the Rats more resilient.
Gray Merchant of Asphodel and Torment of Hailfire (combined with Ashnod`s Altar ) are great finishers.

Greetings

I agree with you with Adaptive Automaton, Ashnod's Altar and Herald's Horn (even if I havent mentioned it because it has become quite expensive), Oversold Cemetry and
Beastmaster Ascension, but not with the others.
37-39 lands are way to much for this deck. check the mana curve. he will play most of his stuff for 2 mana, above that, there isn't much. 35 maybe, but not more.
The Pack Rat is a true beast, yes. But you haven't noticed a very important detail: he can put only 1 pack rat into the deck, while rat colony doesn't has this limitation. Rely on a single Pack Rat sounds like a very bad idea.
Bad Moon is an option, but this would counter Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive. Besides that, it works for all players, what can be dangerous.

Major Woolley

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 10:41:06 pm »
These are some good suggestions, I actually wanted urborg elf instead of satyr but I couldn't remember it's name for the life of me so I just put voyaging satyr instead. I thought

I had herald's horn in but I must have taken it out for something else, the main reason I'm playing rat colony instead of relentless rats is that they are cheaper per rat and bringing them down to one mana is great. I can't wait for magical christmasland where I have a beast whisperer out along with a carnival of souls and anything that reduces the price of my rats to one black mana (herald's horn, jet medallion, monument) and then storm off with rats lol.

I consciously didn't put in things that would increase my rats toughness so that umezawa and skullclamp would be useful so I don't think I'll put something in that just gives +1/+1 because I think that their abilities are far stronger/more relevant. That said, coat of arms makes such a huge impact that I think it is worth adding.

Ratcatcher seems like a good addition to the top end of my curve and a good way to consistently get more rats, I'll definitely consider it.

The mana base will probably be upgraded beyond basics at some point but I find it the least exciting part of deckbuilding so I'll probably put it off a bit lol.

Marrow gnawer seems great! Another reason I used rat colony over relentless rats is that it scales with all rats not just other rats of the same name.

I decided to use damia as the commander because I wanted to be in Sultai and she seemed to be able to constantly draw me more rats, also with so many rats I'm bound to be a bit light on other types of cards so she helps me dig through my deck for other cards a lot better.

I definitely like dreamscape artist as ramp.

Murder is not a great card as it turns out, there are a lot of things better than it and the ability to get rid of enchantments and artifacts is definitely relevant. I may also consider some counterspells, mainly to help deal with board wipes but because they let you remove a threat before it even hits the field.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 01:04:38 pm »
Btw, you use Urborg. What about Filth then? With Urbog out and filth in the graveyard, all your creatures would become unblockable.

Major Woolley

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 05:32:13 pm »
good call!