deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: (hypothetical)- you find yourself a member of the EDH rules committee...  (Read 1157 times)

Varatius

• Decks
Re: (hypothetical)- you find yourself a member of the EDH rules committee...
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 08:51:43 pm »
Iona is strong but most decks have some kind of removal against her because they usually run at least 2 of each color for removal and 1 multicolored so unless you're playing a mono colored deck she is more of a roadblock that sometimes just causes you to play a little out of order or less than ideal when you have that removal already.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2018, 09:55:17 pm »
If we're basing not banning something on "having answers through removal", why ban anything?

Iona totally shuts down monocolored decks, who then cannot remove her. It also shuts down certain multicolor decks that have limited access to creature removal, GX for instance by naming X leaving green spells able to be cast but green has limited creature removal (other than Beast Within you're looking at mostly Plummet effects- which would hit Iona but realistically how many have you ever seen of those ran in EDH?).
This space for rent.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2018, 10:19:05 pm »
Please keep in mind that I currently run Iona in a deck...along with Helm of the Host. It's kinda nasty if it's not stopped before the chance to make the tokens.
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2018, 10:28:25 pm »
Be thankful that Painter's Servant is banned.

Teching against Iona is difficult, because she does make the game hard/impossible to play. She's not such a big deal in cEDH, because 9 mana is a huge work-around. But in casual commander... she wins games.

She might not be banned because she's not the only 9 mana card where you just win the game (Tooth and Nail is another one).

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2018, 10:48:30 pm »
Fair point.

So what's some other things that would be popular to change?
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2018, 11:16:11 pm »
I think that a 5-card wishboard would be fine. That way, cards like Burning Wish and Spawnsire of Ulamog could see play. However, this could make some cards super broken.

Still, it would be interesting to see how it turns out.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2018, 12:20:43 am »
I think many cards could be unbanned. Black Lotus: really price would be the only reason to keep it banned but Timetwister is legal. And Library of Alexandria: it's just not good like it used to be anymore. Those would be  my main unbans.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 02:23:22 am by Soren841 »
Nils is the God I worship

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2018, 04:19:10 pm »
I am part of a rules committee, so just unbanning or banning would have to be run through the entire committee not just me. If I was banning any card such as the example of Iona, I would then see if there are other cards that kinda/maybe/possibly do the same type of thing and see if they also would need banning.

I would suggest a few things like scrying if you are mulligan to 5 or lower. If per chance you are down that low to 5 cards or lower scrying the top card shouldn't be changing the outcome of a game by that much.
I also would suggest just seeing what white cards are busted in edh compared to the ones that just aren't broken and just let those ones that aren't broken into the game.

A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2018, 06:01:51 pm »
This actually relates to something important. Many times, people want to see a card banned, instead of trying to find a way around it. I have heard some really bad suggestions for bans over the years. Here are some of them:

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2018, 06:11:25 pm »
People that want to ban fast mana just don't understand the meaning of balanced. They're afraid of a strong format with powerful cards.
Nils is the God I worship

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 03:26:50 pm »
This actually relates to something important. Many times, people want to see a card banned, instead of trying to find a way around it. I have heard some really bad suggestions for bans over the years. Here are some of them:

Don't forget Cyclonic Rift and Sol Ring.
This space for rent.