deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Budget Gruul  (Read 221 times)

KyleDuana

• Decks
[EDH / Commander] Budget Gruul
« on: November 28, 2018, 07:40:05 am »
Budget Gruul

This is just a green red commander deck on a budget

Judaspriester

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Budget Gruul
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 10:27:16 am »
Hey,

first of all, the mana base. Since you are playing Duo with Gx color fixing shouldnt be a problem. So there is no need to play Rugged Highlands, Gruul Guildgate and Terramorphic Expanse because they enter tapped and slow you down. With them cut you got 38 lands left. I would suggest to cut 1 mountain and Forest.
To compensate the cutted lands, add Fellwar Stone, Rampant Growth and Gruul Signet. This should result in a little faster deck, with 2 more slots for nasty stuff.

Then, you got very limited removal. no need to remove artifacts/enchantments in your playgroup?
If you need some, here are suggestions: Naturalize, Acidic Slime, Beast Within, Fade into Antiquity, Reclamation Sage.
If you got Trouble with Flyers you could add Whirlwind or Whiptongue Hydra

Then about your creatures: why Radha, Heir to Keld? I haven't noticed a way to use the RR he produces during combat. Goblin Spy feels strange in this deck. Yes he is very funny, but he doesn't give you any advantage.

Mage Slayer and Stand or Fall could be interesting for your deck.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

KyleDuana

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 03:59:46 pm »
I’ve never really ran a Gruul deck before so this is kind of an experiment. So thank you for the recommendations!

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 05:01:41 pm »
I’ve never really ran a Gruul deck before so this is kind of an experiment. So thank you for the recommendations!

Gruul is fine, because you can handle almost every Threat that enters the Battlefield. For Instants and Sorceries there are some cards that at least help you with this problem (e.g. Dosan the Falling Leaf).

The deck already seems good compared to the budget. with a little tuning like suggested it should work fine.

About the number of lands: I usually play with 34-36 Lands. In addition to this 5-12 additonal cards for mana ramp/fixing. The exact amount always depends on the average CMC and the number of colors. 3.2 isn't super fast, but since your'e playing green, this shouldn't be a big deal.  ;)

Btw, another thing that really helps me building is ordering the cards by function. lands, ramp/fixing, removal, card draw etc. This already helped me sometimes eliminating some weak spots ("Hmm.. only 3 cards for card draw. that could result in empty hands."). If you want to see examples, feel free to take a look at my decks. ;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 05:40:33 pm by Judaspriester »
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.