deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Help Wanted! Mono-white Commander Deck  (Read 524 times)

steehill

• Decks
[EDH / Commander] Help Wanted! Mono-white Commander Deck
« on: November 28, 2018, 09:37:50 pm »
Help Wanted! Mono-white Commander Deck

I'm new to commander and this is my first commander deck using cards I already own but I would like to improve it so help would be appreciated but please be kind! I also don't have a big budget so can't afford m/any expensive cards.

I usually face a aggro Liliana of the Dark Realms deck and a control/lifegain Oloro, Ageless Ascetic deck.
Stephen Hill

Soren841

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Help Wanted! Mono-white Commander Deck
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 09:40:11 pm »
Liliana is not a legal commander..  ::)
Nils is the God I worship

Ryad

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 10:27:05 pm »
If Avacyn is your commander you can't use Shalai, Voice of Plenty because it has other colors than your commander color identity in it's ability.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 10:31:04 pm »
I'll need to understand what it is your having trouble with. Do you not have ways of stopping your opponents from building up their board? Are they really good at wrecking your game plan? Do you struggle to cast high cost cards? Or do you run out of cards in your hand to cast?

steehill

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 10:46:51 pm »
I tend to have trouble with card draw but just general advise about if there are really good, cheap white cards I am missing or if there are better but still affordable versions of cards I have or if there are any cards in there that are just not very good
Stephen Hill

Reboot

• Reboot
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 11:33:35 pm »
Card draw is an inherent problem with white unfortunately, same story with ramp but it's not as bad.

The first must haves (budget) I can think of are: Knight of the white orchid, Kor cartographer, Oreskos explorer and Pearl medallion. For colourless mana I would recommend Thran Dynamo, Hedron Archive, mind stone and Dreamstone Hedron. not sure if these are in your deck or not, need to double check.

As white has trouble with speed I would also say look into white weenies and stax effects to slow the table down. Authority of the Consuls, Blind obedience are two good cards to start with.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 11:36:04 pm by Reboot »

Naradel

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 11:38:15 pm »
Sol Ring is also pretty cheap nowadays and is an absolute must have =)

Return to Dust is a good cheap removal against Enchantments and Artifacts

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 11:43:26 pm »
Hey,

first of all, it seems to me like there is a clear strategy missing. You use some tribe cards without clearly playing one tribe, you got some cards that are great for a go wide strategy, but lack token generation, etc.
First of all, think about what do you really want to do with the deck. Focussing on a idea makes it way easier to make it more efficient (even on the same budget).

With that said, i've notied some special cards: you got some cards in your deck like Angelic Edict. Do you really need spot exile for creatures/enchantments? if not exacly this combination, there are some other (interesting) options: Crib Swap, Darksteel Mutation, Disenchant, Swords to Plowshares, Crush Contraband, Nevermore, Gideon's Intervention. Oblivion Ring is another nice option to get rid of any problem card (except lands).

Then you got alot of lands, but thats it. Speaking of lands, do you really need Kabira Crossroads? 2 life doesn't justify (at least for me) a land that enters tapped.
I would go down to 35-36 and add some other cards for ramp/fixing in stead: Sol Ring, Oketra's Monument, Fellwar stone, Pearl Medallion, Marble Diamond, Gold Myr, Knight of the White Orchid. You don't need all of them, I just want to show you that it isnt impossible to ramp in mono W. This should help you to play your stuff, and especially play your commander before turn 10.

You mentioned that you sometimes got trouble with card draw: Loreseeker's Stone, Well of Lost Dreams and Mind's Eye could help you out.

Then I've got some more evergreens in mono W: Renounce the Guilds, Aura of Silence, Cleansing Nova, Sun Titan, Emeria, the Sky Ruin.

Btw, since you got both Odric's in your deck, what about using one of them with your commander? You can still use Avacyn as 99er. Both Odrics allow a more straight strategy and are cheaper mana wise, so you can use them earlier in the game.
I've got an odric deck myself, maybe it helps as inspiration:
https://deckstats.net/decks/112190/1051135-odric-lunarch-marshall/
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.