deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] Yeva Draw-Grow Combo (Win on any Turn; w/Guide)  (Read 3196 times)

Inkmoth

• Decks

THEpuy

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] Yeva Draw-Grow Combo (Win on any Turn; w/Guide)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 11:04:23 pm »
Cool deck. Always good to see someone who actually knows how to build a deck on this site.

Inkmoth

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 11:47:37 pm »
Thanks, dude, means a lot. I worked really hard on it.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 12:08:54 am »
So I read parts of your description. You said that you're trying to make a list for the TappedOut tier list. There are some issues though.

• There are decks in the high powered section that can consistently win turn 5 or 6 (Krenko, Mob Boss, Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind's, Azami, Lady of Scrolls) and some that can do sooner then that (Godo, Bandit Warlord). It's unlikely that a turn 6 or 7 Yeva deck will make the cut.
  • The list excludes decks that are too similar to another, more powerful deck. In your case, this deck is too similar to Selvala, Heart of the Wilds. In order to change this, you need a tactic that really capitalizes on giving creatures flash; make it something unique.
  • The people that run the list are super pretentious. They tend to exclude decks outside their clique, and typically don't change their minds once they have a commander in a certain spot. As much as they say they're basing the list on data, not opinion... It's totally their opinion.

As for the deck itself, I like it. You're missing Umbral Mantle, which goes infinite with Marwyn, the Nurturer, Priest of Titania, and Karametra's Acolyte. You'll also want powerful draw spells like Shamanic Revelation, Heartwood Storyteller, Beast Whisperer, Runic Armasaur, Primordial Sage, and maybe Rishkar's Expertise. If you have lots of ramp, you need stuff to cast.

You also need some early game disruption. Winter Orb and Null Rod will hardly affect you (all your mana is in creatures).

Inkmoth

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 12:33:17 am »
I have Umbral Mantle waiting to be put in case Temur, Cloudstone, and Staff fail to do their part. As for those kinds of decks that win much faster, I haven't encountered them, but I am well aware of their strengths and that's where I stick in more disruption. But the bottom line is that some decks win faster and I have to count on the blue player to stop them during Turns 3-4 win if I don't draw any disruption. The winrate average has been determined by external factors, such as someone disrupting me. I'd also like to note that players threatening a win can always be responded to by legitimately winning the game.

Once my meta evolves into something stronger, I will start implementing more early disruption. Thank you so much for the feedback, it means the world to me and I will be taking a lot of what you say into consideration when dealing with those match ups.

Rbd25

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 12:51:21 am »
Great Looking deck! I hope to build it one day!

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 01:43:06 pm »
Morganator is correct. Best example is they put Yidris tier 2 and the decklist linked is their shitty Doomsday deck, NOT Melt Banana and my own list. As for the actual deck, if it's similar to Selvala u can always check out my Marwyn build but I agree that you should capitalize on Flash. Maybe use Aetherflux Reservoir (Shimmer Zur will show you why..)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 01:44:37 pm by Soren841 »
Nils is the God I worship

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 05:06:12 pm »
Why would you melt a banana?

To explain in simpler terms, Shimmer Zur is a Zur the Enchanter deck that captilizes on Aetherflux Reservoir and Shimmer Myr. Once you get 150 life from Aetherflux Reservoir, you super-nuke everyone. Shimmer Myr helps because you flash in artifacts in response to the Aetherflux Reservoir triggers where you gain life. For example, you cast an artifact, in response to the life gain trigger, you cast another 3 artifacts, all in response to the life gain triggers. So instead of gaining 1 life +2 life +3 life +4 life (10 total), you get 4 life +4 life +4 life +4 life (16 total). This is a small scale example, because you really want to chain up as much as possible to get that 150 life threshold. If you cast 13 spells in a row, you have enough. If you haven't lost any life, 11 spells is enough.

In your case, you can do the same thing, but with creatures. This makes the deck unique, because it really capitalizes on Yeva. To make this work, you need the card draw I mentioned earlier, and then add the haste enablers; Concordant Crossroads and Thousand-Year Elixir. You want those creatures to tap for mana immediately. You also can win with Aetherflux Reservoir using Cloudstone Curio and two mana dorks (Elvish Mystic+Llanowar Elves) and a haste enabler to generate infinite storm count. Each elf can be tapped for mana, cast the other elf, and then get bounced. You recast it using mana from the elf that just entered, and the cycle continues.

Inkmoth

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 02:10:19 am »
I like the Aetherflux recommendation, I do think that would fall into the pile of contingency win-cons incase Temur, Cloudstone, or Staff though. What it achieves can also be done with Walking Ballista in this deck, but right now adding a Plan D seems superfluous. My current goal is to increase is consistency, however, the Thousand-Year Elixer does sound super enticing since the deck has almost every one drop dork in green.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 04:47:38 am »
But Temur and Cloudstone don't actually win the game. Reservoir and Staff do.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 05:40:16 am »
You don't necessarily need a "Plan A" "Plan B" mentality. Include all of these. You have no way of searching for these artifacts, so it's all luck-of-the-draw. Instead of trying to get Staff of Domination, with Umbral Mantle as a backup, include both.

Inkmoth

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 05:58:57 am »
I'd put in Umbral Mantle the moment the other three start failing me as I've said before, but the issue with Aether is that I need Cat or Curio to get it going. Depending on two artifacts to get a win is even harder in a green deck. The cat retroactively wins me the game by enabling anything the deck could want to do once infinite mana is achieved.

I don't necessarily have the A and B mentality, it's just the deck specializes on getting the cat and since that's the most effective and consistent way I sunk in my entire game plan on him, however if I sneak a bigmana dork in and play a staff that's a two card combo I stumbled into that wins me the game, while umbral mantle would need an outlet like Duskwatch or Survival

Aether is even harder to pull off cause even though I give things flash, it doesn't outright win without a lot of set up. No way of tutoring it and when I play it, it doesn't help me achieve anything the deck wants to do to win, which is to repeatedly find a way to generate a lot of mana to go infinite unhindered. Aether is superfluous at best or terrible at its worse. Please don't see that as outright shutting you down, I just don't see multiple triggers on this unless I have a bounce engine, but if I have a bounce engine I most likely won through other means. Walking Ballista would be way better if I were to consider anything of the sort.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 06:04:22 am »
Something that I still can't figure out; why is Yeva the Commander? This deck looks like it would function much better with Marwyn at the helm.

What is the advantage to using Yeva?

Inkmoth

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 06:28:28 am »
To play within pockets and phases of the game where people could least interact with you, but not investing all your resources by reserving your turn for what you truly want to or need to resolve. At the cost of speed and a blazing fast early game, I get to play on anyone's turn and reactively. Rather than load dumping and hoping that shit that matters makes it around the table, you can keep it safely in your hand to ensure it does. It's like having a vedalken orrery in the command zone. The deck looks like nothing is happening until it does, you can respond to someone trying to win by legitimately winning.... Without combat in a green deck. Look, as much as I'm pushing this deck beyond its limits, I am well aware that there are substantially better options. Selvala, Yisan and Marwyn are miles beyond Yeva, but I want to make the best and most efficient Yeva and watch her thrive in whatever designated arena that's supposed to be. It's a labor of love and this was the direction the deck took me to achieve it and I'm willing to hear what I could possibly do to push it forward.

Many edits; a bit inebriated, sorry. A couple of those sentences messed me up for a bit.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 06:55:51 am by Inkmoth »

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 04:12:16 pm »
You can win with Aetherflux without going infinite. Did u not read any of the stuff on stacking triggers?