deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] Mono White Hero (Modern on a Budget)  (Read 526 times)

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
[Modern] Mono White Hero (Modern on a Budget)
« on: January 10, 2019, 07:35:50 pm »
Mono White Hero (Modern on a Budget)

A fun little budget list I've been toying with, with two new Ravnica Allegiance cards as centrepeices: Hero of Precinct One and Glass of the Guildpact.

The plan of the deck is really simple: play out a bunch of aggressive creatures, then either pump them with Glass or give them a token kicker with Hero.

As well as being pretty aggressive out of the gate, our cards are pretty good by themselves in some matchups- Dryad Militant and Judge's Familiar give us incidental hate against Storm and spell-based combo, while Boros Reckoner and Kitchen Finks are great against other aggro decks. Stillmoon Cavalier also just straight up locks some decks out entirely.

This is far from a highly tuned list, and the sideboard in particular is in need of some work. But it's a lot of fun, super cheap and well worth playing around with.  Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
Re: [Modern] Mono White Hero (Modern on a Budget)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 01:34:40 pm »

Revision 2

Added/removed cards:
-2 Assure // Assemble
-4 Glass of the Guildpact
+4 Honor of the Pure
+3 (Main) +1 (SB) Unbreakable Formation
-3 (SB) Tormod's Crypt
-2 (SB) United Stand
+3 (SB) Wheel of Sun and Moon

Changed amounts:
-1 Revival // Revenge
+1 (SB) Response // Resurgence

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 11:55:15 am »
This is the budget list, the maybe board is the full price sideboard!

Revision 4

Added/removed cards:
-2 (SB) Defense Grid
-2 (SB) Path to Exile
-3 (SB) Wheel of Sun and Moon
+3 (SB) Declaration in Stone
+1 (SB) Settle the Wreckage
+3 (SB) Tormod's Crypt

Changed amounts:
-1 Augury Adept
+1 Boros Reckoner
+1 Revival // Revenge
-1 (Main) +1 (SB) Unbreakable Formation
-1 (SB) Response // Resurgence

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 01:06:46 pm »
The deck got highlighted on MTGGoldfish this week!! Really thrilled to see Seth playing it (even if the original list he played turned out a little clunky).

Based on his videos and my own playtesting, we've made some pretty major changes. Probably the biggest is to give up somewhat on the hybrid Mana spells we were playing. Revival // Revenge is a card I love and I wouldn't mind finding some slots for it, we're trying out the Wilt-Leaf Liege plan from the video to see if it can help us to push through damage more consistently. I've also found that (despite the cute interaction between Boros Reckoner and our removal during the end of combat step), Path to Exile is just a necessary evil for the deck to be able to deal with things like Barals and big Death's Shadows. I've opted to throw a couple of Declaration in Stones in the sideboard in the free slots, because it's a really solid answer to Hollow One/Phoenix decks, which are still a tough matchup for us.

Finally, just to address the price of the deck (ignoring the ludicrous TCG Player prices), it's currently sitting at about 135 euro on Card Kingdom, 100 euro on MCM, and 17 Tix from Cardhoarder. This isn't as cheap as it used to be, but it's still pretty reasonable for a super fun and pretty powerful deck with good match ups against some of the Boogeymen of the format; and budget options like swapping out Path for DiS, or Tormod's Crypt for Cage and Wheel, you can bring that down to an even more reasonable price range.

As always, any and all suggestions are much appreciated! And I'm really grateful for all the support the deck has gotten, it's been really cool to see people making their own changes and playing their own versions!

kako

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 02:26:56 pm »
This deck is sweet and I'm really glad it got the highlight from Seth.

Hybrid mana is one of my favorite mechanics, and I have a bunch of the cards already, lacking only the Hero. I'll try to get a playset and give the deck a spin around my casual meta.

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 02:33:18 pm »
Thank man ^^ Definitely do! I've been playing and tweaking it on a casual level since RNA got released, and I can honestly say it's a blast to play. Hero is fast becoming one of my favourite cards, and this is a great starting point if you wanna give it a go!

ComingUpCway84

• Decks

EmBee

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 11:29:18 pm »
Where are you getting double land cards if you just have all one mana color?

ComingUpCway84

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 11:49:33 pm »
The gimmick of the deck is that every spell can technically be cast with white Mana, but they all still trigger Hero of Precinct One because they count as multicolored. :) So all I need is a bunch of Plains, and the Mana works out fine.

EmBee

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 03:20:36 am »
Ah,ok. Just learning new mechanics. I have cards from 15 years ago when I was playing. Thx for explaining to an old newbie.!!!