deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [EDH / Commander] cEDH Tier List  (Read 9592 times)

Soren841

• Decks
Re: [EDH / Commander] cEDH Tier List
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 11:14:31 pm »
Tazri is the outlet Prossh is a combo piece and Tazri is in 5 colors. I'll get to adding decklists for the top 2 tiers
Nils is the God I worship

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 12:21:44 am »
https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/food-chain-tazri/

Here's why Tazri works better: Tazri is the win-condition, whereas Prossh needs an outlet of some kind. This means that Tazri has close to 10 slots that can be put towards additional combo support. This includes Extract, Pact of Negation, Silence, Enlightened Tutor, and Mystical Tutor, among others.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 12:23:22 am »
I've added the first two tiers decklists as card comments.

nickelphoenix

• Casual EDH player studying the ways of Witch-Maw.
  • Decks
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 05:02:36 am »
Really glad your running this list Soren.

Its about time there is a second opinion. I think t/o is not totally accurate.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 05:27:02 am »
Lol thanks. I think there's a lot more people that think that than you'd expect. I'm trying to be pretty conservative with my changes though.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 02:46:28 pm »
I agree. It also helps put new content on the site which can only be a good thing.

Thanks Soren!
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 04:18:42 pm »
Its kinda funny that a bunch of people have decided to make their own list because they don't like the TappedOut one any more.

But in all seriousness, I think I'll take a moment to voice my own grievances with the TappedOut list, which will hopefully not befall this list.

• The TappedOut group is a super clique. Almost all the decklist they post are their own lists, which is them patting themselves on the back. If decklists get posted, it would be nice to see a variety of deckbuilders, instead of the same three people. They are also very adamant on the positioning of some commanders, and are not willing to move them (Notably, Yisan, the Wanderer Bard, Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker, and Godo, Bandit Warlord).
  • No attention is given to the high-power tier (Tier 2 on this list, tier 3 on tapped out). It's a damn shame, because this is where people should be focusing their brewing attempts. Some new build might be able to push these commanders into a higher tier.
  • No arguments should be made without a decklist being presented. If you want a commander to be placed higher, you need to show a decklist with a good description, and explain why it should be higher. No commander should be in tier 1 or 1.5 without a posted decklist. This includes commanders that were just released.

The other thing is the tiers themselves. The descriptions have never matched what I want them to be, and the descriptions get very arbitrary. Here's what I would like to see.

Tier 1: The best of the best. These commanders have been tried and tested, and they are the most powerful in the format. They consistently threaten a turn 3 or 4 win (sometimes 2), or set up the board so that no one else can get the early win. Example: Najeela, the Blade-Blossom.
Tier 1.5: Remind me again why this list doesn't go 1-2-3-4-5? But aside from that, this tier has powerful commanders, that are just barely falling short of greatness. They might win turn 4 or 5, might be less consistent, less resilient to stax, or some other factor that holds them back. Example: Tasigur, the Golden Fang.
Tier 2: This is the high power tier. These decks don't win as fast (Turn 5 or 6), are more susceptible to stax, but can work well if you tune them to the meta. Still, these commanders can be made very powerful, and become the boogeyman at a casual table. Example: Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Tier 3: Casual decks are born here. Unfortunately, the nature of these commanders means they are not likely to leave this tier, unless the deck is built to support their colors (like a grixis storm shell) but would be better suited to a higher level commander. But you can still build a deck from these commanders. Example: Odric, Lunarch Marshal
Tier 4: These creatures do not have enough to build a commander deck with; they're just garbage. Example: Tobias Andrion.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 04:45:01 pm by Morganator 2.0 »

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 04:39:31 pm »
We turned tier 2 to 1.5 to show that the top 3 tiers are all fairly close to each other, more so than the last 2. If I have placed a commander in tiers 1 or 1.5 without a list it doesn't mean there isn't a list.

Smalls

• Decks
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2019, 07:34:48 pm »
The thing I like best about this list is the comments that have the links to the decks. It's super helpful when looking to review a commander to see what makes them competitive.

On that note, here is the most widely accepted list for Vannifar. Credit to Desdenova for making the deck. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-cant-believe-its-not-pod-1/

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2019, 07:48:16 pm »
Desdenova and I do not get along, and I do not believe their list is the best. I don't want to put my list on here because it just looks as elitist as the TappedOut list, but I genuinely do not believe their list is better. Right now, our list is pretty static until MH1.. maybe we'll see some changes and I'll feel comfortable putting a "best" list up

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2019, 08:37:07 pm »
Wow, it seems like there are a lot of people you don't get along with. Do you ever think it might not be them that's the problem?

As for Prime Speaker Vannifar, I'm sure enough time has passed for us to figure out which is the best decklist. Something that gives a good description, with a strong combo and game plan. I'm going to do some searching.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2019, 09:13:15 pm »
More like they don't like me because we disagree about Vannifar. I have no issue with them other than they were a dick to me first when I gave constructive criticism

Slappy T-Rex

• Decks
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2019, 11:13:48 pm »
I'm curious why Azusa, Lost but Seeking is considered so much better than Mina and Denn, Wildborn? I know one less mana means it can get out and ramp earlier, but I would have thought the addition of red and the activated ability would even it out.

Plus a 4/4 is harder to remove.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 11:21:50 pm by Slappy T-Rex »

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2019, 11:42:08 pm »
The activated ability is useless in cEDH, and red doesn't add much. Azusa is 1 less and adds 2 land drops instead of 1. There's like a barrier between mana costs and it's more of like a feeling that you get once you've played a lot. There's a relatively small "barrier" between 3 and 4 (turn 2 3 drop is something every deck can do basically every single game, while 4 would need a dork and a free rock) and between 4 and 5+ it's much larger. 4 is still doable relatively easy, while consistently ramping to 5 mana sucks balls. Also burn is pretty unplayed outside of Abrade. And Mono Green is tied for Mono Blue as the best Mono Color in cEDH so it has plenty to do on its own
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 11:49:38 pm by Soren841 »

LinkMEP

• Decks
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 12:50:25 am »
Arjun and Sigarda Heron’s Grace seem a little low to me.